My Music - Heavy Wah

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ScottL
Established Member

My Music - Heavy Wah

Post by ScottL »

I'm going to start posting some of my music. I'll try to include some descriptions about equipment, work flow and of course caveats about quality.

This song was recording in my garage with a Tascam tape 4-track recorder. If I remember correctly (I always recorded while drinking back then) I used my Fender Telecaster with a Sans Amp GT2 through a Digitech RP-6.

The drums were provided with a Boss DR-550.

Typically I would play a repeating drum rhythm (no fills or changes) and see if I could find a riff that I liked. This song started as no different.

Also once I found a riff I liked I would start to record and play variations and/or play new, different riffs as I was inspired. Again, this song was no different.

The trouble is that when I try to add a second guitar or bass line then I sometimes get lost because the song doesn't exactly follow a 'normal' structure.

I also remember coming up with the wah part for adding the feedback. I was using a $200 home stereo for a monitor system and had turned it up louder than I usually would. I was noodling trying to come up with a solo with the wah and when it started to feedback I found the part that I liked.

Obligatory caveat about quality: This song was one of the first songs I ever recorded. It was done in primitive conditions, both 'studio'-wise and me personally because I used to drink heavily. I didn't really care too much about production values because I was so excited just to be creating and multi-track recording my own music. My naivete was extreme and my 'mix' was rather bass heavy.

With that information in hand, I do look forward to your comments though. I hope you enjoy.

Heavy Wah

I've got more that I'll post as I have free time.
[font=Comic Sans MS]Drunky | SubGenius[/font]
[font=newsprint]Fat Drunk Bastards[/font]
SubGenius
The headroom is there to handle transients - not the "weight" of the entire signal.
ScottL
Established Member

I'm Funky

Post by ScottL »

No replies yet, hmmm. I hope I didn't peform a faux pas by posting music generated in a studio-in-a-box rather than in Linux. Music recorded in Linux will be coming soon though :)

Either way, I'll forgo the pretentious descriptions this time and just post a couple of link.

A bit funkier and a little more structured. A bit rap-ish.
I'm Funky

Another heavy one, has some pretty good riffs in it. Excessive wanking soloing, please excuse it.
Song With No Name
SubGenius
The headroom is there to handle transients - not the "weight" of the entire signal.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I like the songs :)

Thanks for sharing.

No problemo if its not (totally) linux made, we shouldn't be to strict on that INMO. Would be cool tho to get also music made with linux.

Rock on!
ScottL
Established Member

Post by ScottL »

Here's another song.

This one is more structured than most of my other ones and far less spontaneous.

NoiseMoodGrowl
SubGenius
studio32

Post by studio32 »

ScottL wrote:Here's another song.

This one is more structured than most of my other ones and far less spontaneous.

NoiseMoodGrowl
I like the other songs more... the solo/riffs in this song sounds not in tune to me. Did you tune your guitar and play in the right scale?