a minor meander

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

carlv
Established Member

a minor meander

Post by carlv »

Last edited by carlv on Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basslint
Established Member

Re: a minor meander

Post by Basslint »

I like how you used the sonic space and the fact that despite having a rhythm, it's somehow relaxing. What follows is entirely influenced by my own taste and by the fact that I've browsed your SoundCloud profile.

I see from your other tracks that you are acquainted with melody. So why not use it here? I understand the genre of the track is more oriented toward rhythm and atmosphere but I think that if someone can do melody, they should do it. There are people who can't do it and they can even make pleasant tracks, but I feel like melody is a bit like a duty for people who can do them, especially in our era :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Howdy Basslint,

Thanks much for giving a listen and that great question (..and i have been asked about it on more than a few occasions).

The simple answer without veering too far off into the weeds is just, pure creative indulgence on my part. I get a real kick out of the experimentation and seeing whether or not i can pull it off or not. This all goes way back, too.

As to a duty to do only melody oriented things, i find that to be a bit restrictive/limiting. I'd prefer to be duty bound to the creative process and go wherever the thread leads.

Fun fact about this piece.. Using the full version of Bitwig Studio and it's tools for doing "generative" type stuff... This thing was spawned from the keyboard part of Al Green's "Love and Happiness." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzA-IGQhNiA :mrgreen:

:!:
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I think this is a very interesting mix of very different kinds of sounds. And it works. There is a lot going on, still it feels relaxing, being very repetitive.

Thanks for sharing!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

oscillator wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:37 am There is a lot going on, still it feels relaxing, being very repetitive.
That seems to be the prevailing sentiment. A good friend and old band/jam mate wrote, "Sort of a new age feel, soothing, smooth, tranquilizing..."

YIKES!! :shock:

It's sure put me to sleep on more than a few occasions. :lol:

As always, thank oscillator. :!:

"Love and Happiness." :D