New album "Fiesta Red"

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ufug
Established Member

New album "Fiesta Red"

Post by ufug »

Here's a new batch of tunes. I wrote them during the FAWM challenge and spent a couple months recording them.

Not sure what you would call the genre, but I try to make every song have a different vibe. Songs are inspired by stuff like COVID lockdowns, Twitter, the "Great Resignation", Yacht Rock, energy vampires, the Ukraine, Greta Thunberg etc etc.

Bandcamp

Links to other streaming services

This is the first project I've done in Reaper and I may stick with it. So easy to use and it never crashed once. Used only Linux-native plugins: U-he Satin, Presswerk and ColourCopy are on every song, followed by heavy use of the Dragonfly reverbs, Pianoteq, AVL Drums, Sfizz, Tukan, and lots of other things here and there.

I haven't been on the forum much for the last couple years, COVID finally got me un-glued from the internet--cheers and hope everyone is well!
listenable at c6a7.org
Tenaba
Established Member

Re: New album "Fiesta Red"

Post by Tenaba »

The album sounds very professional, it's quite impressive. I like your vocals (and the vocal mix for the matter). I'm liking the title as well.

I've started using Reaper as well, and have the same experience with it. Nice to work without the fear of crashing often, and the MIDI editing else as well.

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Thanks for listening Tenaba! Agreed on the MIDI editing, it is so easy to work with in Reaper.
listenable at c6a7.org
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hey hey, I have to confess that this is not a genre of music I can relate to on an emotional level. I did want to chime in, however, because your production on this album sounds extremely good. It's all very polished. At the same time very classic and modern, though that's perhaps because the classic sound has come around again. Good, clean recordings, very good playing and singing. Your singing in particular is very characterful and proud to show it.
I really did enjoy the aptitude and apparent ease of the music. However long and arduous you have worked on it, you definitely know to make it sound effortless.
Best wishes, Jeanette
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Wow, this sounds great! One of the best productions to for showing that GNU/Linux is ready for real music.

You did all the bits, wow. How long have you been making music? This stuff is really, really good. I could draw some comparisons with Elvis Costello and John Lennon.

I like your vintage-sounding vocal FX chain in some tracks like "Cut the deck".

Yacht rock day is such a great song, wow! Top-notch song, although not yacht rock :lol:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

jeanette_c wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:47 pm However long and arduous you have worked on it, you definitely know to make it sound effortless.
Thanks for the good words Jeanette, I appreciate your thoughtful feedback. It was definitely not arduous, it was done quickly which is probably why it sounds that way--I left in a lot of "mistakes" in because I'm kind of lazy. :)
Basslint wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:41 am Wow, this sounds great! One of the best productions to for showing that GNU/Linux is ready for real music.

You did all the bits, wow. How long have you been making music? This stuff is really, really good. I could draw some comparisons with Elvis Costello and John Lennon.

I like your vintage-sounding vocal FX chain in some tracks like "Cut the deck".

Yacht rock day is such a great song, wow! Top-notch song, although not yacht rock :lol:
Thanks Basslint! I'm an old GenXer, I've been writing and playing for 40 years now (mostly bass). Just starting to get better at recording and mixing during the last few years. I still have a long way to go to make it sound like I want. :) There's definitely a lot of Elvis Costello and Beatles in my DNA. I'd like to go for a more contemporary sound but not sure how to get there.

Ha! You're right, that song is definitely NOT Yacht Rock the genre, but it's a semi-true story about my one afternoon on a yacht with a drunk captain who couldn't stop talking about how great he thought he was. :lol:
listenable at c6a7.org
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Enjoyed these tracks a lot. Very professional delivery. To me they come over as a 60s-70s fusion.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Congratulation for realize new album! Spiritizm party for call spirits of Beatles :D Happy mood music! :wink: So good! :!:
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

This was a wonderful experience. There is a lot of talent, and hard work, but most of all I find very good songs.

You seem to enjoy both making and recording (and singing!), and that shows.

Harmonics, composition, instrumentation, it is all so damned effective in bringing forward plain good songs.

Bought it. Thank you making and sharing.

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

oscillator wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:27 am ...but most of all I find very good songs.
Hey oscillator, thanks for the support and especially for listening. I am so glad you appreciate the songs. Sometimes I get distracted by the process (as we all do!) but the songs are definitely the most important thing to me.
listenable at c6a7.org