Tenaba - Paralyzed by Fear [Solaria]

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tenaba
Established Member

Tenaba - Paralyzed by Fear [Solaria]

Post by Tenaba »

After a couple eons, I've finally made another song (aside from one piano solo a while back). A while ago, another Linux SynthV user @MGdesigner recommended Solaria for vocals. Very glad I took the recommendation.

The lyric video is on Youtube here: https://youtu.be/g45UKPUkjuk
It's also on Bandcamp: https://tenaba.bandcamp.com/album/paralyzed-by-fear

Software
REAPER
Synthesizer V
Vitalium
Drumgizmo
amsynth
Pianoteq
x42 plugins
Guitarix tube screamer plugin
Kdenlive
Gimp

I've started using REAPER and Vitalium, and I really like them both. As usual, music takes me forever to make, but I find this DAW makes it a bit quicker.

Hope you like it!

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

Basslint
Established Member

Re: Tenaba - Paralyzed by Fear [Solaria]

Post by Basslint »

Wow, is there a style of music you can't do? :lol: my own humble suggestion is don't be afraid to break into a guitar solo (not necessarily technical) in pop songs. It's a forgotten art but, if pulled out correctly, can really make a song blossom. And in the case of synthetic tracks like this one, guitar solos humanize them a little bit. We are humans and like imperfect human stuff. That said, congrats because the composition and production is very good. And, something I don't think I say very often, the lyrics too.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Basslint wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:19 am Wow, is there a style of music you can't do?
Jazz is probably the first that comes to mind!
Basslint wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:19 am :lol: my own humble suggestion is don't be afraid to break into a guitar solo (not necessarily technical) in pop songs. It's a forgotten art but, if pulled out correctly, can really make a song blossom. And in the case of synthetic tracks like this one, guitar solos humanize them a little bit. We are humans and like imperfect human stuff. That said, congrats because the composition and production is very good. And, something I don't think I say very often, the lyrics too.
I was originally intending to replace the second piano part with guitar, but unfortunately I've been having some problems with recording audio with Pipewire. I haven't worked on any guitar stuff for the past while because of it. I might have to switch back to JACK & PulseAudio, but I'm hoping not because of how convenient Pipewire is otherwise.

Thank you for your suggestion and comments however. I'm glad you liked the lyrics, and the mix too, because I usually find those two parts to be the most difficult.

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hi @Tenaba , oh it's always good to hear your tracks. I very much enjoyed this one again! On a sonic level: agreed Solaria is a good voice, though you always managed to discover and accentuate the best in Eleanor Forte.
Further, you have a smashing modern drum sound on this. The kick is ... erm... KICKING!!! The snare has a good sound too, it's rather short though. Did you want this in particular or was that born from necessity?
I love how the sidechained-sounding bass pushes the piece along and amps up the energy. Also nice harmonies and work with the piano and strings.
A perfectly enjoyable song. Nice composition, well set between metal and pop. I love it!
Best wishes, Jeanette
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

jeanette_c wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:59 pm Hi @Tenaba , oh it's always good to hear your tracks. I very much enjoyed this one again! On a sonic level: agreed Solaria is a good voice, though you always managed to discover and accentuate the best in Eleanor Forte.
Further, you have a smashing modern drum sound on this. The kick is ... erm... KICKING!!! The snare has a good sound too, it's rather short though. Did you want this in particular or was that born from necessity?
I love how the sidechained-sounding bass pushes the piece along and amps up the energy. Also nice harmonies and work with the piano and strings.
A perfectly enjoyable song. Nice composition, well set between metal and pop. I love it!
Best wishes, Jeanette
Hi jeanette, happy to hear you enjoyed it. I think Solaria and Eleanor Forte together should cover a diverse range of music. Or at least I'll tell myself that to avoid spending more money on voicebanks.

Yes, the kick's very "modern" sounding: scooped mids and high compression. As for the snare, it was mostly a matter of preference. For the verses and intro, I used snare sidestick samples which hits the rim of the snare, rather than center hits. So the attack is very snappy. I viewed it as a balance between outright using a snare hit and using a synthetic clap sound in terms of heaviness.

Thanks for your comments as usual!

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

It's certainly very well done, but not a style I'm really into.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Tenaba wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:48 pm I was originally intending to replace the second piano part with guitar, but unfortunately I've been having some problems with recording audio with Pipewire. I haven't worked on any guitar stuff for the past while because of it. I might have to switch back to JACK & PulseAudio, but I'm hoping not because of how convenient Pipewire is otherwise.
You can actually use both JACK and Pipewire (no need for pulseaudio), that's what I've been doing since Fedora changed their backend to Pipewire. Actually Pipewire does have a JACK "shim", where you use JACK APIs but using the Pipepire backend, but in my experience that's way to "green" to be usable at the moment, and latencies are not great either. As such, whenever I need JACK I just stop Pipewire and launch JACK instead: it looks like recent versions of Fedora have made that automatic, now (e.g., when you launch JACK with qjackctl) which made it easier.
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Rainmak3r wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:55 am You can actually use both JACK and Pipewire (no need for pulseaudio), that's what I've been doing since Fedora changed their backend to Pipewire. Actually Pipewire does have a JACK "shim", where you use JACK APIs but using the Pipepire backend, but in my experience that's way to "green" to be usable at the moment, and latencies are not great either. As such, whenever I need JACK I just stop Pipewire and launch JACK instead: it looks like recent versions of Fedora have made that automatic, now (e.g., when you launch JACK with qjackctl) which made it easier.
That's a great idea. I think it's really cool that you can swap out pipewire-jack for the native JACK implementation. I agree that pipewire-jack is a bit rough, it seems the only pipewire problems I've had so far relate to the jack implementation. I'm hoping those can get ironed out soon :)

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

You do great things with Solaria!

Great composition and very well performed!

I am not that found of the bass sound, I would have preferred something smoother, but that is just a matter of taste, it works very well.

That piano playing is very nice too, nicely executed and works wonderfully as a bridge.

Great work, @Tenaba!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

oscillator wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:27 am You do great things with Solaria!

Great composition and very well performed!

I am not that found of the bass sound, I would have preferred something smoother, but that is just a matter of taste, it works very well.

That piano playing is very nice too, nicely executed and works wonderfully as a bridge.

Great work, @Tenaba!
Thanks! I'm hoping I can work on getting more piano into songs, outside of just piano solos.