What's the News in the City

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Senbee
Established Member

What's the News in the City

Post by Senbee »

Here's my new song:
https://soundcloud.com/stefano-droghett ... n-the-city

All made with Ardour 6.9 (flatpak) on Ubuntu 22.04. All LIBRE software.

- Lyrics, music, voice, acoustic guitar, electric guitars: Stefano Droghetti
(the electric guitar is a Harley Benton TE-70RW, with a Fender Deluxe amp emulated by Zoom G3x)
- Same old effects we normally use: Dragonfly, some airwindows, Chowtapemodel, LSP, etc.
- Sounds: JJazzLab soundfonts (drums, bass, strings, some other instruments), Virtual Playing Orchestra (brass and flute), Surge XT (various presets with some variations), ZynAddSubFX

This is the whole Ardour project: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tIsh2D ... sp=sharing

As always, I apologize for the lyrics, not being English my native language.

We were living on the river
it was 1985
There were singers there were sinners
She was quicker than the eye
It was clear she was the first one
It was plain she was in charge
Hunting deers for their livers
There were sparkles in her eyes

All our hearts were broken
All our words unspoken
Ah, what’s the news in the city long time no see

There’s no borders there’s no prisons
We can travel back in time
If I ever lose the reason
If I ever lose the light
Heading South there is an island
of warm and golden sand
There’s the moon to lead my sailors
it will be our secret land

Just my inclination
There’s no explication
Ah, what’s the news in the city long time no see

I'm a SUDO wrestler - Italy - Ubuntu 22.04 - Ardour 8.4
All my songs: www.soundcloud.com/stefano-droghetti/se ... -droghetti
My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/@StefanoDroghetti/featured
My homepage (in Italian): www.stefanodroghetti.it

bulevardi
Established Member

Re: What's the News in the City

Post by bulevardi »

Molto ben fatto, Stefano !
Chill relaxed song.
Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

A very pleasant and original song. Smoothly done, and low stress listening :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

That is a very nice pop song in my opinion! Great songwriting, and I like the instrumentation and vocals too, close, with that (in my ears) 80s refrain.

Thanks for sharing!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Nicely done. I really liked the glassy sounding guitar tone, wish I could hear some more of it. Vocals are great too!

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Niente male! :D Great sounds, I'll have to explore that JJazzLab soundfont you used. The only thing I found a bit lackluster were drums, but I'm the last person that can talk about those: my drums usually suck :mrgreen:
Senbee
Established Member

Post by Senbee »

bulevardi wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:25 am Molto ben fatto, Stefano !
Chill relaxed song.
folderol wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:21 pm A very pleasant and original song. Smoothly done, and low stress listening :D
Ahahah yes, this time I took it slowly ^_^
I don't know, nowadays people tend to use beats only in exciting songs, it seems nobody use that old "ABBA" style (and brit electro-pop-rock) where you can use beats and rock for relaxing and childish atmospheres. (Probably it is no longer fashionable... better: I AM no longer fashionable! :mrgreen: )
Hope I was able to bring back those atmospheres. I thank you both for listening to the song, and for the comments.
oscillator wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:03 am That is a very nice pop song in my opinion! Great songwriting, and I like the instrumentation and vocals too, close, with that (in my ears) 80s refrain.
Exactly what I meant. Thank you so much!
Tenaba wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:03 pm Nicely done. I really liked the glassy sounding guitar tone, wish I could hear some more of it. Vocals are great too!
Thank you so much, I really appreciated your comment.
I didn't want to use autotune at all, and I kept the first or second take for the vocals. So I thought it would have been more "natural", I don't know. Hope it's not too much out of key for nowadays standards.
Yes I have nice guitars ahahahah ^_^ The acoustic one is a Yamaha (very old, I got it when I was 16, now I'm 49... you do the maths), the electric one is my new Harley Benton TE70-RW, according to me the best very-very-cheap alternative to the original Telecaster they made in 50's, with that sharp, biting, clattering sound the great late Roy Buchanan used to play. I used a Zoom 3Gxn to emulate a 50's Fender Deluxe amp with all pots end-of-scale so that's why that sound is so familiar. I hope I'll use more and more in my next songs, together with the other sound I favour: the brit one (hollowbody guitar + VOX AC30 amp).
Rainmak3r wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:13 am Niente male! :D Great sounds, I'll have to explore that JJazzLab soundfont you used. The only thing I found a bit lackluster were drums, but I'm the last person that can talk about those: my drums usually suck :mrgreen:
Thank you too for your tips and compliments!
Well, actually the orchestral sounds are moreover from the Virtual Playing Orchestra (yes, I know Unfa realized it's not strictly FOSS but I really couldn't find any real working alternative). And the synths are all from Surge XT presets (except for a small one you can hear in background, from Yoshimi presets). I used JJazzLab soundfonts because I started generating drums with JJazzLab software, the best arranger you can find nowadays (and it's FOSS!!!), which works well only with its own soundfonts. It tends to sound like modern Yamaha keyboards, which their styles JJazzLab is based on. So the not-so-good drums is actually JJazzLab :-) I tried to use Crocell Kit and other better sounding drumkits, but that nostalgic sound didn't appear. So I kept those samples, they work less badly for the context, according to me. Maybe.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Bella canzone, Stefano! Your songwriting is always nice, and your sound always very British. I like your old-fashioned (take it as a compliment!) style. I think melody is slowly disappearing from mainstream music and it's good that some keep the flame alive.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Nice song, very 80s. The arrangement is very elaborate. I enjoyed the development of the arrangement. The second bass drum is a little too bright. It makes a nice contrast, though a touch less will work just as well.
Thanks for sharing!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Senbee
Established Member

Post by Senbee »

Basslint wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:48 am Bella canzone, Stefano! Your songwriting is always nice, and your sound always very British. I like your old-fashioned (take it as a compliment!) style. I think melody is slowly disappearing from mainstream music and it's good that some keep the flame alive.
I thank you so much, this is the best compliment I've received. It's my purpose, to keep alive that way of making songs, I mean with melody and chords

I hope it's not because I'm a boomer, but even if it's the reason, let it be :mrgreen:
jeanette_c wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:49 pm Nice song, very 80s. The arrangement is very elaborate. I enjoyed the development of the arrangement. The second bass drum is a little too bright. It makes a nice contrast, though a touch less will work just as well.
Thanks for sharing!
I thank you so much for the compliments and moreover for the very appreciated hint: yes you're right the second bass drum is too bright. It's a mistake, and I realised it when it was too late :-(
That's why in my new stuff I'm beginning to try to use Drumgizmo, I have to improve drums, they are one of the biggest weak points in my songs. :-)