Breaking News

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bulevardi
Established Member

Breaking News

Post by bulevardi »

Breaking News!

Authorities tried to destroy the evidence... but researchers provided new data...
Watertowers have been found in space.

The song did not end up being what I originally planned to make... I had the album artwork already months before, and some guitar picking part aswel.. but then life got in the way and it took ages to finish the song, after I deleted it couple of times.
I came into this process where I could keep on going adding and editing stuff... meanwhile not really satisfied with the result, but... I finally hád to finnish it before I could get on with my life. So I canned it anyway.

You can check it out via different streaming platforms, choose wisely:
https://linktr.ee/bulevardi

Recorded in Linux Mint Xfce
Daw: Reaper
Synths with U-He Hive
Guitar effects with Mod Duo from ModDevices

Have a nice day !
x
Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
pdechery
Established Member

Re: Breaking News

Post by pdechery »

Seemed to me a bit of a mix between rock and electronic. Very trippy vibe and well done production-wise. It shows that you spend time working on the track.

I wasn't aware there's a Linux version of Reaper. It was the first DAW I've worked with and I have to leave it when I began using Linux. Good to hear they made it. It's a very nice DAW.

Thanks for sharing.
I make music and you can listen here: https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

I was surprised by the mix of different genres as well, it changes a lot during the 7 minutes of the track! But I think it does work at the end.
I didn't know about this Mod Duo you used for guitars, they sound quite nice! Is it something like the things Line6 has been doing for some time, or is it a different and more generic kind of audio processing box?
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

Yikes!
There are quite some things to learn here...
Thanks so very much for posting!
Melissa
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Mod Devices: https://moddevices.com/ Linux-based effects box.
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

pdechery wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:41 pm I wasn't aware there's a Linux version of Reaper. It was the first DAW I've worked with and I have to leave it when I began using Linux. Good to hear they made it. It's a very nice DAW.
I struggled in finding my preferred DAW over the years aswel. There is so much cool stuff around.
But the work process of Reaper is very easy for me.
It's easy to install, but also user-friendly and straightforward afterwards.

I always had a problem using Jack and setting up the server, making the connections in my DAW etc...
In Reaper, you can use ALSA aside Jack aswel. Just connect my guitar cable (or with ModDuo or amps in between) to a FocusRite interface, which connects via USB to my computer.
ALSA makes it easy for me.

The disadvantage is that there are no built-in VST's foreseen.
And I think much of the LV2 VST's are not working (yet). Some were, on my other computer.

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php
Rainmak3r wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:54 am I didn't know about this Mod Duo you used for guitars, they sound quite nice! Is it something like the things Line6 has been doing for some time, or is it a different and more generic kind of audio processing box?
Hmm, it's not quite the same. With the Line6 boxes you can only use the Line6 pre-installed software and effects.
I had a Line6 Pocked Pod before (the cheapest version) and it sounded too plastic. I guess the pro equipment in their range will sound better.

The Mod Duo has an Arduino on board, and you can connect via USB to your computer.
Via a webbrowser you surf to your Mod Duo and in your browser you'll see an interface where you can set-up a lot of possibilities of stomp-boxes and amps and other stuff via cables, then save it to your Mod Duo box. So in fact you make a whole sound setup, that you can export and share online in their community aswel.
There's some sort of video showing how: https://moddevices.com/platform/
It's aswel open source and you can contribute.
Disadvantage: it was expensive. I was lucky some guy sold it second hand to me.
Rainmak3r wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:54 am I was surprised by the mix of different genres as well, it changes a lot during the 7 minutes of the track! But I think it does work at the end.
I couldn't choose :)
I planned to make a total different song, things got in the way, long story long, I finally ended up with this.
It's a tad too long and can get boring before it starts getting interesting, and it definitely misses a climax. But as the cover art was ready for long time and I wanted to start with some new plans, I decided to not make any other changes to what I had made.

But for a better and more pure example of switching between electronic and post-rock, I made the song 'Distrohopper'.
Yes, the title has a link to Linux ;)
It starts electronic and halfway it starts to rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nljPuwN5y_E
Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

bulevardi wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:25 am
Rainmak3r wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:54 am I didn't know about this Mod Duo you used for guitars, they sound quite nice! Is it something like the things Line6 has been doing for some time, or is it a different and more generic kind of audio processing box?
Hmm, it's not quite the same. With the Line6 boxes you can only use the Line6 pre-installed software and effects.
I had a Line6 Pocked Pod before (the cheapest version) and it sounded too plastic. I guess the pro equipment in their range will sound better.

The Mod Duo has an Arduino on board, and you can connect via USB to your computer.
Via a webbrowser you surf to your Mod Duo and in your browser you'll see an interface where you can set-up a lot of possibilities of stomp-boxes and amps and other stuff via cables, then save it to your Mod Duo box. So in fact you make a whole sound setup, that you can export and share online in their community aswel.
There's some sort of video showing how: https://moddevices.com/platform/
It's aswel open source and you can contribute.
Disadvantage: it was expensive. I was lucky some guy sold it second hand to me.
That does look quite interesting! I see @GMaq listed in the Artists page, so I guess he likes it too :mrgreen:
From the little I could understand from the website and the videos, it looks like an Arduino box with JACK and lv2 modules, so it's pretty much what you can do on a laptop but all done in a little box you can bring everywhere and plug everywhere. This has pros and cons, as it means a huge deal of flexibility, but also limitations (Rakarrack and Guitarix are nice, for instance, but neither is as good as my Pod X3 unfortunately for most of the sounds I look for). I definitely love the fact that, unlike its competitors, it's completely open and can be extended relatively easily. It is indeed a bit too expensive, though, you're right: maybe in the future I'll think about it, if not just to play with it! Who knows, there may be a larger community along the road, with even more options both in terms of sounds and presets.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Very nice and diverse palette in this song. I think it sounds a bit like Krautrock, which is always a good thing IMHO! :wink:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I like this blend of styles and sounds too! Some nice melodies, and the end is a bit kraut, just like @Basslint mentioned!

Thanks for sharing!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik