Desert Rain

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: Desert Rain

Post by Rainmak3r »

andropogon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:13 pm Isn't it too complicated given the result? Maybe it worth to try Hydrogen? There're some good sounfonts too. But that's just thinking out loud. I understand that you're using what you used to.
I do use Hydrogen already to write the parts, with the difference that the drumkit is only used to pass MIDI signals to an external host for DrumGizmo (e.g., Carla or Ardour itself). I don't think it's complicated, and I'm comfortable with the workflow: I wasn't 100% happy with any other Hydrogen drumkit I've tried, so I'm ok with this approach. I'm sure the different mics are actually an advantage for who knows how to mix stuff: I just happen not to be one of them :mrgreen:
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

LAM wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:20 pm Nice track @Rainmak3r, listened till the end to improve the soundcloud stats as always. :D

I agree with @oscillator, we want more bass. :evil:
Thanks for listening! (and for helping with the stats :lol: )
andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

LAM wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:34 pm Could be, I was thinking about Bandcamp. :lol:
I see. Thanks for information about BandCamp. Hope it'll help me. :)
Sorry if I distracted you with such a nonsense.
andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:38 pm I do use Hydrogen already to write the parts, with the difference that the drumkit is only used to pass MIDI signals to an external host for DrumGizmo (e.g., Carla or Ardour itself). I don't think it's complicated, and I'm comfortable with the workflow: I wasn't 100% happy with any other Hydrogen drumkit I've tried, so I'm ok with this approach. I'm sure the different mics are actually an advantage for who knows how to mix stuff: I just happen not to be one of them :mrgreen:
No problem, you're the boss! I'm not that guy who knows how to use different mics with drums as well so I called it complicated. :D
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

andropogon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:43 pm
LAM wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:34 pm Could be, I was thinking about Bandcamp. :lol:
I see. Thanks for information about BandCamp. Hope it'll help me. :)
Yes, Bandcamp has different stats for who just starts the song, who listens to most of it, and who listens almost to the end. Needless to say, when you see most of the listeners fall in the first two categories it's a painful realization :mrgreen:
andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

First two or first one? :mrgreen:
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

andropogon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:53 pm First two or first one? :mrgreen:
First two: 10% and partial (80%?). The last one (the third) is who listens to the whole thing.
andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

I meant that it's not too bad when you got the second one cause we're living in a world where viewing depth does not exceed 10 seconds usually. 8)
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

andropogon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:06 pm I meant that it's not too bad when you got the second one cause we're living in a world where viewing depth does not exceed 10 seconds usually. 8)
Ah yes, of course: everyone's busy, so we should all be happy when people decide to spend some of their time listening to what you created. I talked in the Delusion's Master thread, though, about how it was painful to see that happen on the title track, a 18 minutes song I had spent so much time working on, and that most people were skipping. At the end of the day, it is what it is, and I've accepted that.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

First, I see some progress outside in the guitar parts and I think this is very nice. Toward the end, the song gets really immersive. And the guitar parts are spot on!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Hi @Rainmak3r

Congratulations for this new "baby"!

Since there's much music in there I'm yet unable to give a proper review, but I'm liking very much what I'm hearing so far. True heavy-metal, with little prog moments here and there.

I'd just like a little more punch in the drums' sound, but I've noticed you did very good beats and fills too. You must have put some hard work in that.

These kind of projects inspire me to do my own album. I hope to promote here as well, as soon is finished.
I make music and you can listen here: https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Basslint wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:01 am First, I see some progress outside in the guitar parts and I think this is very nice. Toward the end, the song gets really immersive. And the guitar parts are spot on!
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! Immersive was indeed what I was looking for :D
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

pdechery wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:37 pm Hi @Rainmak3r

Congratulations for this new "baby"!

Since there's much music in there I'm yet unable to give a proper review, but I'm liking very much what I'm hearing so far. True heavy-metal, with little prog moments here and there.

I'd just like a little more punch in the drums' sound, but I've noticed you did very good beats and fills too. You must have put some hard work in that.

These kind of projects inspire me to do my own album. I hope to promote here as well, as soon is finished.
Thanks for the kind words! And yeah, unfortunately drums are my weak spot and always will be.
I'm glad this is encouraging you to work on an album: it's a form that is unfortunately getting lost, since it's "easier" to just work on a single song and release that, and individual songs are also easier and more likely to be listened to since they require less commitment and engagement, but I still believe in albums a lot. In case you end up working on one, looking forward to listen to it!