Golden word (need some advice)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

andropogon
Established Member

Golden word (need some advice)

Post by andropogon »

This one was recorded almost 20 years ago as part of a concept album called Igor's Warfare Blues due to one of the mysterious Slavic epics written at the end of the 12th century. The original track name is Yaroslav's golden word. The original essence of this song is a call for unity.
This album has never been recorded in a digestible form that can be shared with someome, although I have all the sketches. Given the new circumstances, it will most likely never be what it was intended to be. The concept is changing and I still don't know what to call this part in the new conditions (maybe someone will advice some good name connected with the unity & victory theme?).

But now it's not about that. Here is a version that was recorded 20 years ago: https://soundcloud.com/andropogon1/f508lp2j3l12

Now I re-recorded it with some changes. Considering that I intend to make a video (at the end of the process, I will also post it here, since it is also created using libre software) I've got 2 different versions. One is almost the same as the original, but with some arrangement and mix changes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0cbdq8tgasij9h9/sv1.mp3?dl=0

Another one is somewhat more confusing in arrangement, but more in line with the content of the clip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a00cdc02sh75l2w/sv3.mp3?dl=0

Now I need some pre-release external vision. Is there any reason to change the original track? Does it make sense to sacrifice the original arrangement for the content of the video, considering that the third variant seems to me more chaotic and less coherent than the original one?
Sorry if I distracted you with such a nonsense.
Largos
Established Member

Re: Golden word (need some advice)

Post by Largos »

I don't see anything odd in changing the arrangement for a video, if the third version serves the video better
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

Art is for the artist to decide. It is your baby. Have confidence in what you believe, express it that way, as your own. The opinions of others should have little impact upon your art if it comes from whom you are, rather than a desire to be something other. We all want to find success. Success is based in the artist's ability to express their vision. Choose your individual course and walk that path, your path, unique unto you.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hi @andropogon , I personally prefer your version 3 (sv3.mp3). I don't find it confusion but more defined and captivating. I love harmonic change.
Do you plan to complete the old concept album or write more tracks around this idea? If so, why not wait until things come into shape. Perhaps then the best name for this piece will be obvious.
Compared to the original, I liked the bigger reverb on the bells in the beginning. It's a pity you lost that. It makes the bell more distinct, but not as grand and imposing.
Thanks for sharing!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
andropogon
Established Member

Post by andropogon »

[/quote]
baconature wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:22 pm Art is for the artist to decide. It is your baby. Have confidence in what you believe, express it that way, as your own. The opinions of others should have little impact upon your art if it comes from whom you are, rather than a desire to be something other. We all want to find success. Success is based in the artist's ability to express their vision. Choose your individual course and walk that path, your path, unique unto you.
You're definitely right in the main, but we all need some external vision on our work. Especially after month of daily creating and listening, changing samples, synths, soundfonts, velocities, reverbs, compressors etc. So hearing is blurred.
And I don't need success. This not a motivation.
jeanette_c wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:53 pm Hi @andropogon , I personally prefer your version 3 (sv3.mp3). I don't find it confusion but more defined and captivating. I love harmonic change.
Do you plan to complete the old concept album or write more tracks around this idea? If so, why not wait until things come into shape. Perhaps then the best name for this piece will be obvious.
Compared to the original, I liked the bigger reverb on the bells in the beginning. It's a pity you lost that. It makes the bell more distinct, but not as grand and imposing.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks @jeanette_c! Your opinion is especially important to me. Agree that bells lack reverb and will try to correct it (can't find the reverb I used on #notaboutlove trilogy). And if you have no other claims, I take it as a compliment.

And yes, I plan to complete that old idea. It's some kind of life purpose. Since I was 17, when I thought up the first part, I feel that if I can bring this thing to mind, then life has not been lived in vain.
I would welcome any help and cooperation, but, fortunately, the respected people present here have no shortage of their own ideas.
Sorry if I distracted you with such a nonsense.
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

Personally, I only heared the third (final) version and I like it...a lot! It has expression. It tells a story (to me, anyway).
A video can be (re)made to cater the music. Personally, it depends what you want to make: either music or a video. This helps to decide what enity has to change to fit in to the other. If the music is your aim, the video should (merely) support it...
But...I do like the styile...
(hopefully this rant was not off-topic)...
Melissa