"nowhere hills" a new ambient experiment

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

caryoscelus
Established Member

"nowhere hills" a new ambient experiment

Post by caryoscelus »

i haven't been posting here a while , despite releasing quite a few stuff . pretty much everything is now available either on badcamp or peertube (and pretty much everything is on 0net as well) . but i'm not gonna bore you with old stuff

rather , here's a fresh album from today : that kind of noise — nowhere hills . for me it's another experiment on how to make music (initially i didn't even want to use ardour , same as i didn't use it on my previous album , but in the end i needed some distortion on top of what i made in audacity)

it's a new kind of work for me , much more mellow and perhaps even meditative most of the time . smoothly ambient , though with its peaks of uncertainty and/or aggression at times

listen , share , remix — it's libre culture as always (CC-BY-SA)
libre artist in many media :: site :: support my music on badcamp :: liberapay ::
ko-fi
oscillator
Established Member

Re: "nowhere hills" a new ambient experiment

Post by oscillator »

I really like the slow speed of this. There is a wave-like flow to it. It takes courage to let things move so slowly, like the ending.

Is it hiss or white noise I am hearing - whatever it fits great with the piece.
Escpecially when it escalates at around 24:00 onwards.

There are some really nice guitar-strumming heavy processed sounds at eg 14:30 and recurring.

But my favorite part is the overdrive section at 30:00, that is brilliant stuff!

Thank you for sharing! Inspiring!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

On the one hand I kinda don't understand this kind of music.

On the other hand I like it, very soothing.

So I guess I do understand it. :D

Thanks for sharing!
MusE DAW
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

oscillator wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:40 pm I really like the slow speed of this. There is a wave-like flow to it. It takes courage to let things move so slowly, like the ending.

There are some really nice guitar-strumming heavy processed sounds at eg 14:30 and recurring.

But my favorite part is the overdrive section at 30:00, that is brilliant stuff!

Thank you for sharing! Inspiring!
glad to hear you liked it ! i'm going to expand on the idea and make more similar stuff soon

it's cool that you can still make out guitar strums ^_^
Is it hiss or white noise I am hearing - whatever it fits great with the piece.
Escpecially when it escalates at around 24:00 onwards.
the hiss (as i have to admit a lot in this experiment) wasn't intentional , but i also found it quite fitting with the ambience , so didn't try to get rid of it

thanks for listening and comments !

spamatica wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:14 pm On the one hand I kinda don't understand this kind of music.

On the other hand I like it, very soothing.

So I guess I do understand it. :D

Thanks for sharing!
i'm just at the beginning of the journey to understand and appreciate this kind of music myself ;) making this piece certainly helps in that . thanks for the feedback ^_^
libre artist in many media :: site :: support my music on badcamp :: liberapay ::
ko-fi
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

It is a lovely texture! And it does not need to hide behind its colleagues. The ebb and flow feels so natural and balanced. The noise does work well with the piece, but gets a little taxing over time. But maybe that's my ears being to sensitive to certain frequencies.
What did you use to perform this piece? Could you tell us a little bit about the composition process?
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

jeanette_c wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:34 pm It is a lovely texture! And it does not need to hide behind its colleagues. The ebb and flow feels so natural and balanced. The noise does work well with the piece, but gets a little taxing over time. But maybe that's my ears being to sensitive to certain frequencies.
What did you use to perform this piece? Could you tell us a little bit about the composition process?
thanks for the feedback ^_° i kinda hesitated writing about how i made this 'cause there's so little to write ;)

all i did with this piece was take a ~50 second long acoustic (classical) guitar recording (that was lying around my hdd for a long time) and paulstretch'ed it by *45 in audacity . then , after a listen , i loaded the results in ardour and added distortion plugin (i can look up exact name tomorrow , but it's something like gxdistortion) on a separate bus . then made automation for both sound volume from the track to the bus and amount of distortion . that's it . i can also make a screenshot of my session it anyone's interested '-'

hopefully this would inspire more free culture music creators~~
ko-fi
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

This is great, thanks for the look behind the scenes. It's such a simple, but powerful, point to start. And in many ways very commandline friendly as well. :)
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

jeanette_c wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:14 pm This is great, thanks for the look behind the scenes. It's such a simple, but powerful, point to start. And in many ways very commandline friendly as well. :)
yeah , i kinda was looking exactly for a simple new way , didn't want to do the usual ardour routine . it wasn't all commandline like my previous experiment , in which i just literally cut/processed some existing files through ffmpeg , but still a nice easy experience (and more easy listening experience as well ^_^)
Last edited by caryoscelus on Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ko-fi
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I don't like to criticize pieces for not being my cup of tea, but I do like a bit of rhythm to anchor pieces like this. Just a bit of slow percussion, or some repeating melodic phrase to keep my ear engaged. Having said that, I did listen through to the end and found a lot of interesting sound textures. I didn't guess that it was a paulstretched guitar, but I believe it now that I read your "making of" comment above. Paulstretch is indeed very fun to play with.
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

milo wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:54 pm I don't like to criticize pieces for not being my cup of tea, but I do like a bit of rhythm to anchor pieces like this. Just a bit of slow percussion, or some repeating melodic phrase to keep my ear engaged. Having said that, I did listen through to the end and found a lot of interesting sound textures. I didn't guess that it was a paulstretched guitar, but I believe it now that I read your "making of" comment above. Paulstretch is indeed very fun to play with.
thanks for the feedback ! in most cases i personally would also prefer more layers/complexity/beat to it , but then i thought that it is interesting enough like that and whatever beat one might like to have can be added separately . i listened to this recording in parallel with steel vs aluminium and in most cases i error l would enjoy it more like that . but then me at some other time or someone else would like a different percussive part and that can be easily arranged . it's free culture , feel free to remix as you see fit~~
ko-fi
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I used to listen to ambient music but lately I have a hard time doing it. Nevertheless, I can recognize and appreciate what you are doing, also in terms of releasing libre music :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!