It's been a long time coming, some metal

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

spamatica
Established Member

It's been a long time coming, some metal

Post by spamatica »

Hi folks,

There are many opinions to be had about the last few years, suffice to say the last year has not been that good for my music productivity.

I have always wanted to make more detuned metal but the crux is getting to the finish line. Not sure when I started this piece, could be coming up on a year.. It's a simple enough song, the focus is on getting maximum energy. :)

As always, all recorded in Linux using MusE and a slew of plugins (I can make a list if anyone is interested). Drums are the one thing I can't yet do with Linux software so it's the Windows VST Addictive Drums 2.

Happy for critique on the mixing. I tend to lose focus on the big picture when everything is at max ;)

https://soundcloud.com/cdee/jarnjazz-folj-me-pa-max
MusE DAW
tavasti
Established Member

Re: It's been a long time coming, some metal

Post by tavasti »

Oh my, this is great! Only real problem is vocals in swedish, but I can forgive that one :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

Awesome song! \m/
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

I can't say I love the sound, as I've never been a fan of sludge or stoner metal (even though I love 80s Doom), but the song is cool!
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Cool song, the guitars sound awesome. Only critique I'd make is the vocals are a little overpowered by the instrumentation. Maybe doubling the vocal would help.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Love it! I like the mix a lot, it is perfectly wide (listening in headphones). I really like the guitar playing too.

Och jag tycker om att höra den svenska texten på vad som är för mig dialekt! Borde göra en hårdsynt-låt på svenska! :D (Sorry people for the Swedish comment! :) )

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Thanks folks for the kind words :)
oscillator wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:46 pm Och jag tycker om att höra den svenska texten på vad som är för mig dialekt! Borde göra en hårdsynt-låt på svenska! :D (Sorry people for the Swedish comment! :) )
Jag har varit på ett korståg sen många år att göra musik på svenska med dialekt, det tycker jag absolut du ska göra =)
Largos wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:36 pm Cool song, the guitars sound awesome. Only critique I'd make is the vocals are a little overpowered by the instrumentation. Maybe doubling the vocal would help.
Thanks! And yeah, the vocals could be improved, I got in trouble with the compressors when I put it louder. Not sure I could sing like that and double it though :D
MusE DAW
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Really cool stoner metal tone. I like this mix, so I don't have too many comments. My only nitpick is that the kick sounds like something you'd hear more in modern metalcore than stoner metal (the punchy, scooped mids with lots of high end). Not a bad thing to mix and match tropes though. Overall, I really like the energy and the vocals of the song.

I'm always interested in reading the plugins if you still want to list them. I think it would be nice if more drum VSTs supported linux, especially the metal-oriented ones.

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Wow! I mean: WOW! This is a great sound. A little surprising to discover a song with a bit of a back-to-the-roots attitude behind this modern, fat production. I wanted to ask about the drums, since I listened yesterday, before having read the full post. Even that aside, the guitars have a great brutal sound. Not to mention your voice, which is less brutal, but as ever clear and forceful. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed that!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Tenaba wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:26 pm Really cool stoner metal tone. I like this mix, so I don't have too many comments. My only nitpick is that the kick sounds like something you'd hear more in modern metalcore than stoner metal (the punchy, scooped mids with lots of high end). Not a bad thing to mix and match tropes though. Overall, I really like the energy and the vocals of the song.

I'm always interested in reading the plugins if you still want to list them. I think it would be nice if more drum VSTs supported linux, especially the metal-oriented ones.
Thanks, I will just roll with that it was intentional to have the kick like that ; )

So, regarding plugins etc. I'll try to break all of the tech down then :)
The most important plugins I use are:
- Calf 8 band equalizer, I use that one pretty much everywhere. Not sure it is "best", but it is by far the easiest to use.
- Calf Mono and Stereo compressor. Also used all over the place.
- LSP Impulse response, with a Hall reverb
- Dragon Fly Room
- Calf Vintage Delay
- Calf Gate
And for the output stage I 'master' with:
- Calf Multiband Compressor
- Calf Multiband Limiter

Drums, as I said, are provided with the Windows VST - Addictive Drums 2 and some Modern metal preset.

The guitar are provided by an old Yamaha SG clone with fat strings detuned to B and amped with a Line 6 hxStomp (Voltage Queen amp), at least all the rhythm parts. All this sculpted very much with Calf 8 band equalizer.

Bass is fairly distorted, also through the hxStomp, (probably an Ampeg amp)

All I can think of right now
MusE DAW
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

jeanette_c wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:02 am Wow! I mean: WOW! This is a great sound. A little surprising to discover a song with a bit of a back-to-the-roots attitude behind this modern, fat production. I wanted to ask about the drums, since I listened yesterday, before having read the full post. Even that aside, the guitars have a great brutal sound. Not to mention your voice, which is less brutal, but as ever clear and forceful. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed that!
Thanks for the kind words Jeanette!

I think I have heard similar words from you before, regarding mixing old and new. I'll take it as a compliment and will probably do more of that :)
MusE DAW
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Sorry to show up late (again).

I'm not sure that I've ever heard metal with a swing feel, but it sure adds a nice bouncy feel to an otherwise heavy sound.

Your guitar work is really good throughout. Probably my favorite parts are the little fill partway through the verse and the double-picking solos. The sounds from your amp and pedals are substantial enough but then you layer the guitar tracks together in an incredibly effective way. And the mixing is so clear that you can almost count them.

I'm not really up with this genre, so I don't know what vocal styles one would expect, but I thought your performance was good. Obviously my ability to evaluate an unfamiliar language will be limited, so I can't comment on diction, prosody, etc., but the voice is clear, in tune, and well-supported. I especially liked the long-held notes at the end. I notice Calf Vintage Delay in your plugin list. Did you use it on the vocals, because it is subtle if you did. A good way to make a sound bigger without doubling the performance is to use that plugin. One of my favorites.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hey Milo, thanks, no later than myself it seems :)

And thanks for all the flowers regarding the details, much appreciated!

I don't remember off the top of my head where the calf delays were used but likely the solo guitars. I'll remember your suggestion on using it to make vocals sound bigger!

Thanks again
MusE DAW
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Rainmak3r wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:16 pm I can't say I love the sound, as I've never been a fan of sludge or stoner metal (even though I love 80s Doom), but the song is cool!
I dislike the "stoner" name but it's one of my favorite genres, especially the more atmospheric bands. Also, maybe you can enjoy Mastodon, they are more on the prog side.

I don't understand the lyrics but I think it's a hybrid of rock'n'roll and groove metal. And I think it sounds great! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hey @Basslint ,

I agree on the stoner name, the genre long ago outgrew its roots.
Got several other "stoner-ish" songs that I hope to finish one of these days.

Never really listened to Mastodon but I will give them a try.

And thanks for the flowers! :)
MusE DAW