With Ardour and VOCALOID

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Hiroki Futami
Established Member

With Ardour and VOCALOID

Post by Hiroki Futami »

With Ardour and VOCALOID

I made this with Ardour and VOCALOID2. This is the first Linux music I've made in my life. (It's my first time making it, so there are a lot of rough edges...)
The song is sung by Kagamine Rinren, and it was the 14th anniversary song.
The DAW is Ardour, and the effects are MDA plug-ins.

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm39811496
Basslint
Established Member

Re: With Ardour and VOCALOID

Post by Basslint »

Very cool! What synths did you use? :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

Thank you! :D  
For the piano, strings, and other instruments, I used FluidSynth to play the SoundFont. These are mainly the NICE series of Sound fonts 4U.
For other electronic sounds, I used the free version of "Vital".
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

A very intense and cool song! For a first effort it sounds great! :)

Can Vocaloid2 run on Linux?

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

Thank you! :D
I was able to put it together rather easily, partly because I had been composing for some time on a Windows DAW.
I'm using Ardour and I like it a lot. It's a good DAW...

You can install it from a CD with PlayOnLinux! :D
The WineOS setting is 32bit.
I think it is possible to use jack or Carla to connect to the DAW, but I don't know how to do it in detail, so I'm using it standalone.
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Awesome track! It's cool to see Vocaloid music done on Linux. I like the synth solo at around 2:10. Very impressive work for the first Linux song you've made.

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

Thank you!

It's been my goal to make a VOCALOID song with Linux someday, so I'm very happy that it's come true this time.
Thanks for the synthesizer solo! I'm so happy & glad it's a part I put a lot of effort into! :D

Thank you! Next time I'll try to figure out how to improve the quality in my current environment! 
Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

The year has begun!
May this year bring much happiness to you, to the world, and to Linux. :o
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

ようこそ!
This brings me back to a few years ago, when I was actively studying Japanese, even though I never got that far: but the subtitles in your video may have been of help to do some listening at least :lol:
I agree it's a really good effort to be your first song on Linux, so congratulations, and I hope it will just be the first of many! For my taste, there may be a bit too much stuff happening (keys and drums play A LOT of notes all the time :D ), but that may be the genre itself which does sometimes feel like a caffeine overdose... :lol:
頑張って!
Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

Rainmak3r wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:56 am ようこそ!
This brings me back to a few years ago, when I was actively studying Japanese, even though I never got that far: but the subtitles in your video may have been of help to do some listening at least :lol:
I agree it's a really good effort to be your first song on Linux, so congratulations, and I hope it will just be the first of many! For my taste, there may be a bit too much stuff happening (keys and drums play A LOT of notes all the time :D ), but that may be the genre itself which does sometimes feel like a caffeine overdose... :lol:
頑張って!
Thank you!

I finished this song at high speed in order to make it in time for Kagamine's birthday, so there are quite a few rough parts (>_<;)
But for me, it's a very emotional song that I finished for the first time in Linux after gathering information in my own way (^-^)

ありがとう!!がんばりますね!!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Nearly missed this - certainly fits the title :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Wow, I didn't see that one coming! What a cool song! I am not at all familiar with Japanese synthpop, but my ears agree with @Rainmak3r that this is quite a busy song. There are cool changes, and I love the interesting time signature work, but it all feels like it's on the same level of intensity with very little dynamics. The drums are turned to 11 the whole way, for instance, and don't seem to have any humanization in the velocities.

The synth voice also feels a little buried in the mix. It either needs a bump up in level or some EQ on the master bus to bring it out. (Or both.)

Welcome to the forum! I am glad you have introduced me to a new genre of music. I also look forward to hearing more.
Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

folderol wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 am Nearly missed this - certainly fits the title :D
Thank you! :D :D
Hiroki Futami
Established Member

Post by Hiroki Futami »

milo wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:10 pm Wow, I didn't see that one coming! What a cool song! I am not at all familiar with Japanese synthpop, but my ears agree with @Rainmak3r that this is quite a busy song. There are cool changes, and I love the interesting time signature work, but it all feels like it's on the same level of intensity with very little dynamics. The drums are turned to 11 the whole way, for instance, and don't seem to have any humanization in the velocities.

The synth voice also feels a little buried in the mix. It either needs a bump up in level or some EQ on the master bus to bring it out. (Or both.)

Welcome to the forum! I am glad you have introduced me to a new genre of music. I also look forward to hearing more.
Hello. Thank you for listening!

You are right, milo.
I made this song in a few days in order to make it in time for Vocaloid Kagamine Rin and Len's birthday celebration (December 27), so the velocity and mix are quite rough.

I realize that these are things that I should be particularly sorry for.
It's true that the synths are also buried in the mix. .....

Thank you for your valuable input.
Next time I make a song with this kind of atmosphere, I'd like to deliver it with a more solid mix.

Thank you very much. I'm new to Linux, but I'm counting on you!
I'm too busy to take the time right now, but I'm hoping to get around to listening to some of your tunes too!