Staffan Melin - Merry Christmas(s) [neoclassical]

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

oscillator
Established Member

Staffan Melin - Merry Christmas(s) [neoclassical]

Post by oscillator »

Tried out the Virtual Playing Orchestra, and at the same time worked on a graphic piece, so I combined them into this kind of lament about the state of things... 2021 going away, drenched in reverb...
die01vertica_video.jpg
die01vertica_video.jpg (86.3 KiB) Viewed 13831 times
Music and drawing: Staffan Melin

YouTube: https://youtu.be/aFyvtcXqgJA

Software: Krita, MusE, sfizz, VPO, Airwindows open source plugins.

Searching for something like the "lost" feeling of The Caretakers reimagining of old 78 rpm records...

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: Staffan Melin - Merry Christmas(s) [neoclassical]

Post by Rainmak3r »

You weren't lying when you said it was a lament: it felt more like the soundtrack for Schindler's list than a Christmas piece :lol:

Very beautiful effort, though, and I particularly like how you made the strings section sound. My only note would be to maybe pan them out a bit more like they would in a real orchestra: not sure if it's my headphones, but all strings seem to sit a bit too much in the middle, when you'd instead have basses on one side and first violins on the opposite side.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Rainmak3r wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:08 pm You weren't lying when you said it was a lament: it felt more like the soundtrack for Schindler's list than a Christmas piece :lol:
:D
Rainmak3r wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:08 pm Very beautiful effort, though, and I particularly like how you made the strings section sound. My only note would be to maybe pan them out a bit more like they would in a real orchestra: not sure if it's my headphones, but all strings seem to sit a bit too much in the middle, when you'd instead have basses on one side and first violins on the opposite side.
Yeah, I did pan them like in an orchestra, but I probably did it too little, and maybe the huge reverb draws everything together a bit. So, I'll try to exaggerate next time!

Thanks for listening, and commenting @Rainmak3r! :)

TygerTung
Established Member

Post by TygerTung »

Sounds like a real orchestra. Can't really tell it's synthetic apart from the violins playing higher. Very nice.

Are you interested in collaborating on a Christmas Album? We could all join in for next year. I have a thread about it in the Collaborations section.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

TygerTung wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:18 pm Sounds like a real orchestra. Can't really tell it's synthetic apart from the violins playing higher. Very nice.
Thanks a lot! I hide my shortcomings in an overdose of reverbs! :D
TygerTung wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:18 pm Are you interested in collaborating on a Christmas Album? We could all join in for next year. I have a thread about it in the Collaborations section.
Thanks, I saw that after you discussed it with @milo, I think.

I myself have made a Christmas record/single since 2004! :) You can find them here: https://www.oscillator.se/music/#larsdomino

If I understood your post correctly you are only (?) interested in covers of Christian carols? Although I like a lot of them, that is not really my thing. :) But if you are interested in including stuff like this, I'd like to try it!

Thanks for listening and commenting! And Merry Christmas to you!

TygerTung
Established Member

Post by TygerTung »

I am happy with just anything, but would prefer to avoid cheesy music about Santa and things like that. Instrumental stuff, or stuff about how the season makes you feel is fine. But really anything is OK, it is open source, so anyone can put in whatever they like.

It would be nice to have a cool Christmas CD to play on Christmas day.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Sounds like a nice idea, @TygerTung! Remind us in August! :) (That is when I usually start to compose my own xmas album.)

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Nice work, Staffan! Beautiful, tear-jerking strings. Sounds about right for the state of the world right now. :)

I think there's room for a lot of variety on a Christmas album. In the old days they used to put all of the cheesy Santa Claus-type songs on the A side and reserve the B side for carols. I guess I don't mind so much what people contribute, because an "open source" album can always be forked or otherwise customized. But I would like to avoid "Satan Claus." :lol:
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

milo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:03 pm Nice work, Staffan! Beautiful, tear-jerking strings. Sounds about right for the state of the world right now. :)
Thanks a lot, @milo! I used a wholly different writing technique, working with the melody (violin parts) and bass at the same time, thinking about how they interacted.

I remember an interview I read with W Carlos, talking about the "Switched on Bach" album and Bach's Air, how important she found the bass -- we usually just think of the melody.

I also think I have Barber's "Adagio" too stuck in my head (no comparison).

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

This has got to be my favourite piece of yours yet. The huge reverbs and the choir add a lot to the atmosphere. As Rainmaker mentioned, the only thing I can think of would be more panning on the strings (and maybe the choir as well).

I also didn't know you drew your own art. The cover looks great!

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Tenaba wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:42 pm This has got to be my favourite piece of yours yet. The huge reverbs and the choir add a lot to the atmosphere. As Rainmaker mentioned, the only thing I can think of would be more panning on the strings (and maybe the choir as well).
Doing something different, I am very unsure if it is "worth" something, or if I am merely faking it. This piece felt like I was doing something that I couldn't do a year ago. I am very glad you like it @Tenaba, it means a lot.
Tenaba wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:42 pm I also didn't know you drew your own art. The cover looks great!
Thank you! This was a kind of desperation piece, the day before xmas, at the end of the year. I do a lot of drawing and painting, using analog or FLOSS. Krita is an awesome tool for "natural" painting. Here is my gallery if you have the time :) I have had some exhibitions, and try to mention the power of free tools all the time.

https://www.oscillator.se/gallery/

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

oscillator wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:05 am Doing something different, I am very unsure if it is "worth" something, or if I am merely faking it. This piece felt like I was doing something that I couldn't do a year ago. I am very glad you like it @Tenaba, it means a lot.
Thank you! This was a kind of desperation piece, the day before xmas, at the end of the year. I do a lot of drawing and painting, using analog or FLOSS. Krita is an awesome tool for "natural" painting. Here is my gallery if you have the time :) I have had some exhibitions, and try to mention the power of free tools all the time.

https://www.oscillator.se/gallery/
Crazy, that was a lot more art than I expected. That's really impressive!

And to some degree, I think everyone is "faking it" until they do it enough. I think it's often worth it to try a different approach, even if it's not successful at first because you can lean something from it. As it turns out however, this piece is already successful enough not to warrant any worrying on your part :)

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Tenaba wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:30 am I think it's often worth it to try a different approach, even if it's not successful at first because you can lean something from it. As it turns out however, this piece is already successful enough not to warrant any worrying on your part :)
Thank you! I'll take those words with me into the new year!

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

A few minutes after listening, I still was still silent. This is a deep piece. Yikes. What a nice thing to listen to. Balanced me out. Centered me (no kidding, it did)...
I need to catch my breath, now.
To merely call this "nice" is not enough for me, I call this Music as it should be: the stuff that touches one's soul.
Happy Jul to one and all...especially the ones in today's "trenches"...
Melissa
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Really nice, thanks for this Christmas special.

It reminded me of an anime my son wanted me to watch. Legend of the Galactic Heroes, from the 90ies. I think it's the war art together with the quite sad classical music that reminded me.

Regarding faking, please don't think along those lines. As someone said above, everybody is faking. Which in turn means nothing is fake. We don't need consensus that music is good enough to be called music, it's all music.

God Jul!
MusE DAW