NinU - Cyber Riot

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

N i n U
Established Member

NinU - Cyber Riot

Post by N i n U »

Hi

This is my first EP released in 10 years, called "Cyber Riot" proudly produced using Free and Open source software only

https://soundcloud.com/noe_is_not_uniqu ... cyber-riot

There is also a bandcamp page with buy option.

https://noeisnotunique.bandcamp.com/releases

Briefly my setup, if you want to know more please ask!

OS is Debian Linux 10 with KXstudio repo and the DAW is Ardour 6.9.
The most used compressor and EQ are the ACE plugins shipped with Ardour and X-42 EQ
FXs are free software as well, dragon fly reverb, roomy, calf delay to name a few
Synth: Yoshimi, Surge
Drum Machine: Hydrogen
and some sample taken fro Freesound

Mastering: Calf Multiband compressor, X42 EQ, X-42 Limiter and Airwindows totape5 and wider LinuxVST plugins
Debian Buster + KXStudio
Notebook: HP pavilion G6 1268-sl
Sound Card : umc404hd
Outboard : Joe Meek 3Q
jeanette_c
Established Member

Re: NinU - Cyber Riot

Post by jeanette_c »

I love your handling of the TR-606 sounds. I rarely hear it so crispy and yet still full of oomph. Also great vocals and vocal production!
I also like your clean guitar. Yes, beat about the bush: I'm not a fan of this electric guitar tone, but it fits the genre and is spot on, judging by other songs the resonate in the back of my mind. :)
Thanks for sharing!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
N i n U
Established Member

Post by N i n U »

jeanette_c wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:06 pm I love your handling of the TR-606 sounds. I rarely hear it so crispy and yet still full of oomph
Glad you liked the guitars jeanette
Basically for the crunch i am using an orange micro terror alternate with indeed a ts-9 ibanez pedal. when i want a a boost i blend these 2 together on top of each other!! that's my guitar sound!
jeanette_c wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:06 pm great vocals and vocal production!
Vocals are probably the element i spent more time on...multiple vocal tracks doing the same parts, harmonies and a lot of editing..

If for clean guitar you mean the acoustic one that's a Martin DRS1 recorded with a loyal Shure Beta58A it's actually the same mic i have used to record all the vocals!
Debian Buster + KXStudio
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I have just listened to one track, "All I know about", and this is great! Like a marriage between kraut + Tomorrow never knows. The voice is great, as is the general soundscape. Inspiring!

And I love the song!

On to the others!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

N i n U
Established Member

Post by N i n U »

oscillator wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:09 pm have just listened to one track, "All I know about", and this is great! Like a marriage between kraut + Tomorrow never knows. The voice is great, as is the general soundscape. Inspiring!

And I love the song!
Thanks a lot Oscillator for the nice comment and i am very happy you enjoyed the tune, i am quite happy with the end result of that song. pretty much matches what i had in mind before the production started.
Debian Buster + KXStudio
N i n U
Established Member

Post by N i n U »

N i n U wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:54 pm I love your handling of the TR-606 sounds. I rarely hear it so crispy and yet still full of oomph

Glad you liked the guitars jeanette
Basically for the crunch i am using an orange micro terror alternate with indeed a ts-9 ibanez pedal. when i want a a boost i blend these 2 together on top of each other!! that's my guitar sound!
Sorry @jeanette_c i thought you were referring to the tubescreamer effect on the guitar but it's actually a drum machine! I have used different Hydrogen drumkits throughout the EP, i usually fan out the channels to separate tracks in Ardour which in turn i group them in a bus and then i add ambience and compressor and so on...
Debian Buster + KXStudio
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Nicely put together, although it's not a style I've very keen on.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
N i n U
Established Member

Post by N i n U »

folderol wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:59 pm Nicely put together, although it's not a style I've very keen on.
Thanks for listening and commenting even if you don't like the style/genre @folderol
Debian Buster + KXStudio
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Sorry I'm late to this thread. Just trying to catch up with this subforum.

You have a really good sound. I can hear some shoegazing influence -- maybe Ride? Your use of bass reminds me of early tracks from The Cure, like Carnage Visors and the Faith album, but your harder edge makes me suspect you are a Joy Division fan.

The production was really good. Your use of panning and echo on the voices is particularly good. The guitar tones are good, but sound a little on the dry side. You might experiment with more reverb/delay on the guitar tracks.

Thanks for sharing this!
N i n U
Established Member

Post by N i n U »

milo wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:58 am Sorry I'm late to this thread. Just trying to catch up with this subforum.

You have a really good sound. I can hear some shoegazing influence -- maybe Ride? Your use of bass reminds me of early tracks from The Cure, like Carnage Visors and the Faith album, but your harder edge makes me suspect you are a Joy Division fan.

The production was really good. Your use of panning and echo on the voices is particularly good. The guitar tones are good, but sound a little on the dry side. You might experiment with more reverb/delay on the guitar tracks.

Thanks for sharing this!
Thanks a lot for listening and commenting @milo !
You definitely spotted some big influence there especially Cure and joy division, i am sure when i tell my bandmate who played the bass about it, will make his day!

Regarding the dry sound it's kind of wanted if i have to be honest, i used to love this crunchy sound and then adding 2 layers of delay on top one with a short tempo which sounds more like a reverb and another one with a feedback at max. you are right though more dimension to the guitars is not going to hurt!
Debian Buster + KXStudio
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Props for this achievement! I hear some Bowie influences but maybe it's me :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
N i n U
Established Member

Post by N i n U »

Basslint wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:41 am Props for this achievement! I hear some Bowie influences but maybe it's me :D
thanks @Basslint ! oh oh Bowie sure he's everywhere like oxygen :D
Debian Buster + KXStudio