Una piccola astronave - Entangled

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ambicumber
Established Member

Una piccola astronave - Entangled

Post by ambicumber »

A little bit of post-rock with obvious influences:

edited link:

https://soundcloud.com/user-272889689/entangled-1

Thanks for the listen :wink:
Last edited by ambicumber on Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
oscillator
Established Member

Re: Una piccola astronave - Entangled

Post by oscillator »

Great stereo image and I love the guitars, and the song is really nice. Kind of cinematic (end titles to a lone hero) to my ears = a good thing! :)

The drums sound a bit canny and static, esp the hihat. "Move" them closer, if possible?

Thanks for sharing!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

It's a nice piece. The production sounds very raw though. I marvelled at the crystal clean guitar tone. Such high frequency content.
Yes, the drums do sound a bit monotonous. Generally that fits the song nicely. The do sound rather roomy though, which is an odd mix, with the guitars so close, almost intimate and clinical.
I agree with oscillator, the song would sit well in the "lone wolf" kind of film.
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
ambicumber
Established Member

Post by ambicumber »

oscillator wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:31 pm Great stereo image and I love the guitars, and the song is really nice. Kind of cinematic (end titles to a lone hero) to my ears = a good thing! :)

The drums sound a bit canny and static, esp the hihat. "Move" them closer, if possible?

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for the suggestions! I have moved them a bit closer and recorded room ambience through high-pass filter and mixed them together. Not much of a drummer when it comes to playing them live. The corrected mix is here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-272889689/entangled-1
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

ambicumber wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:21 pm Thank you for the suggestions! I have moved them a bit closer and recorded room ambience through high-pass filter and mixed them together. Not much of a drummer when it comes to playing them live.
It sounds more integrated now! Thumbs up! :) (And however bad you are you are better than me.)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I really like this. What are the obvious influences? I'm not really up to speed with post rock aside from Mogwai and Godspeed.
How did you record/process the guitars? They sound really good.
ambicumber
Established Member

Post by ambicumber »

sysrqer wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:47 pm I really like this. What are the obvious influences? I'm not really up to speed with post rock aside from Mogwai and Godspeed.
Exactly these two. Wow. What an ear. Being totally into electronic music for the last 15 years (give or take), I too don’t remember much else.

Regarding the guitars - nothing really, no eq fiddling even. Fender Stratocaster directly plugged into Marshall JCM900 tube amp. Microphone via mixer with a bit of Alesis Quadraverb added, recorded through Focusrite Scarlett. Also just a dash of semi-acoustic Yamaha FGX-412 directly through the mixer and panned right.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Haha well I was massively into both of those in the late 90s but I never really followed the scene/genre but both bands' early stuff was a huge influence on me and finds it's way on my tracks all the time even now, Golden Arcadia being a good example, I just love that fast picked high melody (I lump Sonic Youth into this style/sound/technique as well). I remember watching the eclipse in 1999 or something and we went into the countryside and stood outside the car with Mogwai Fear Satan playing really load with a joint each...that album was so good.

Ah the Marshall explains it then. I really struggle to get tones like that from the virtual amps on linux, getting that glassy clean sound seems difficult.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Nice moody feel. The guitar sounds are great but I found the exaggerated click in the kick drum to be distracting.
Interestingly, Soundcloud autoplay popped up Mogwai - San Pedro immediately following your track.
There's a great YouTube channel called "WherePostrockDwells" which has some excellent music. I set it on continuous stream some days. A couple of my favourite bands discovered there are Oh Hiroshima and ISON.
https://www.youtube.com/c/Wherepostrockdwells
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Really nice tune! I know very little of post-rock, though, so I'm afraid the "obvious" influences are not so obvious to me... :mrgreen:
ambicumber
Established Member

Post by ambicumber »

@sysrqer put it really well :lol:
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

ambicumber wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:08 pm Regarding the guitars - nothing really, no eq fiddling even. Fender Stratocaster directly plugged into Marshall JCM900 tube amp. Microphone via mixer with a bit of Alesis Quadraverb added, recorded through Focusrite Scarlett. Also just a dash of semi-acoustic Yamaha FGX-412 directly through the mixer and panned right.
It's a very nice tone for clean guitars. The vibrato adds a nice touch as well. This was really pleasant to listen to :)

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I too like the guitar tone. Did you use a hard pick and/or picked at an angle?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
ambicumber
Established Member

Post by ambicumber »

Basslint wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:46 pm I too like the guitar tone. Did you use a hard pick and/or picked at an angle?
Hard small 3-mm-thickness stubby pick
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Sorry to be over a month late on this thread, but I couldn't pass by such a nice guitar tune without saying how much I enjoyed it. I have never heard of those bands, but I like this sound. the dissonant chords in the main riff are fantastic. The double picking towards the end of the piece is really effective. I would have liked some heavier compression on the guitars, but that's maybe not the sound you were going for.