Nattgammal is

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

spamatica
Established Member

Nattgammal is

Post by spamatica »

Hi guys, long time no hear!

It was a long time since I last posted, or even completed a song.
This time around it's an instrumental (at least word-less) song, and the uneven interval between those is often many years.

I think I was inspired by some very drum based modern pop in the beginning, though I had no plan, just let the flow go where it decided to and ended up with this rather meditative five minute song with booming bass.

Done with MusE, Surge, Zynaddsubfx, airwindows plugins, Calf plugins

https://soundcloud.com/cdee/nattgammal-is

Thanks for listening
MusE DAW
oscillator
Established Member

Re: Nattgammal is

Post by oscillator »

That is a really nice song, the last part with the choir is wonderful! :)

The mellow yet uplifting mood is perfect this morning for me.

Thanks for sharing!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Hey, it really has been a long time. Good to hear you back!
This has a very cinematic dark sound to it. Perhaps a film about gangs, giving a critical view of gang warfare.
The beat is ace! Very fat and dirty! And the instrumentation is spont on! It's a great moment when the vocals come in!
If there's anything to take fault with, it's the slight overexageration of the low mids, very noticeable when the first chord guitar comes in. Though on a big sound system that may just add to the flair.
Thanks for sharing!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Thanks folks for listening!

And @jeanette_c, I have the utmost respect for your critique :), at least I should have eq:ed the guitars a bit more. Mixing is a slow process for me and I didn't have the patience to really follow through this time (11 down mixes on this one if I remember correctly).
MusE DAW
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

spamatica wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:11 pm ...
at least I should have eq:ed the guitars a bit more. Mixing is a slow process for me and I didn't have the patience to really follow through this time (11 down mixes on this one if I remember correctly).
I can sympathise with that a lot! Especially with "real" recorded instruments which require the extra mile.
I'm sorry for always coming across so critical, I realised that the other day. What can I say? I grew up with first mainstream pop and then modern prog. All my favourites being at least produced and/or written by Swedish musicians, i.e. I got spoiled by extremely high quality productions with high budgets, relative to the style of music. I can tell you it gets me down (sometimes) listening to my own efforts as well. :) I don't spare myself.
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Very cool and atmospheric, I liked it! I must say the synth that comes in at ~1:14 caught me a bit by surprise though: it seems maybe a bit too abrupt, and changes the tone the song had the first minute. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it left me puzzled. The song does add more synths in the background (I particularly love those boomy bass synths) as it evolves, so it does pay off eventually. Love the choirs coming in at ~3:30, which sound very Scandinavian to me :mrgreen: (a good thing in my book! those bands always have the best choral parts)
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

jeanette_c wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:23 pm I'm sorry for always coming across so critical.
Oh, I didn't mean it like that, please don't be sorry!
I absolutely welcome the critique, I'm just not dedicated enough to ask a second set of ears before publishing :)
MusE DAW
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:19 pm Very cool and atmospheric, I liked it! I must say the synth that comes in at ~1:14 caught me a bit by surprise though: it seems maybe a bit too abrupt, and changes the tone the song had the first minute. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it left me puzzled.
Yeah, I see what you mean. It does change the song quite a bit. Or maybe the reverse, the first part of the song does not fit perfectly against the rest.
Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:19 pm The song does add more synths in the background (I particularly love those boomy bass synths) as it evolves, so it does pay off eventually. Love the choirs coming in at ~3:30, which sound very Scandinavian to me :mrgreen: (a good thing in my book! those bands always have the best choral parts)
Haha, scandinavian choir, I can't argue against that but then again I'm not really sure why :D

Thanks for listening!
MusE DAW
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Very nice surfy sound! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I really enjoyed this track! The guitar jam was cool enough, but then each layer just made the song more interesting. I was surprised by the voices -- I really didn't hear that coming. But surprise can be a good thing, and this was definitely a pleasant surprise.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Thanks @milo and @Basslint.

I really like experimenting with voices, sometimes it works pretty good. Usually I only have access to my own voice which does give a particular texture to the choirs.
MusE DAW
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi @spamatica

Playing catch up here, it's a daunting task with all the great music posted!

First, OMG that kick drum, I could live in that thing it's awesome! The Morricone-like guitar melody at the beginning could be in a Tarantino film sound track and then as the layers get added the movement and groove gets really interesting! The jazzy guitar tone and rhythm of the guitar later on is perfect too! When the vocals come in with the heavy percussion the melody would not be out place in Aboriginal Canadian music. Would you say there is any influence of the Aboriginal peoples of Sweden, similar to the Inuit in Canada?

You are a MuSE master in more ways than one!