And now...some meditations...

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

OccinticLady
Established Member

And now...some meditations...

Post by OccinticLady »

Hi all,
As every friday, I drop a video. This one is called Alfa meditation.
I struggled with that one. For the first time, Ardour segfaulted on me. And does that quite a bit, really. Perhaps the hop to 64 bit is more eminent, @LAM ?
I discovered the mixer more closely as well. It seems that all the dials on the mixer console have a purpose... :oops:
I route the signal in through the first (mono) channels, but never played with the dials of these. Now I have, placing the pan in the image. I think (hope, really) to have more "stereoness" in the mix... :wink:
As usual, I like the appreciation, but also the highlights on the work points ...thanks for these
Melissa
LAM
Established Member

Re: And now...some meditations...

Post by LAM »

OccinticLady wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:52 am I struggled with that one. For the first time, Ardour segfaulted on me. And does that quite a bit, really. Perhaps the hop to 64 bit is more eminent, @LAM ?
Hi @OccinticLady,
can you detail what is your current distro/release?

Switching to 64bit will, if hardware permits, allow to use many more plugins, 32 bit has been abandoned by many plugin devs since a few years already. Regarding stability keep in mind that more plugins you'll use more is probable a plugin crash will bring down Ardour with it.
The secret is by experimenting with a bunch of plugins and find the stabler ones to stick with.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

@LAM
I probably brought Ardour to its knees. At one point, there were two plugins per track, realising that half of the (ten) tracks had plugins...I think...therein lies the problem, indeed.
The distro currently is the Debia that was "hip" about a year ago.
Of course, I can hop to an other one. The install is set up the way I love it: separate partitions for system and home, so that's good :D
I have the feeling that most distros allow "replacing" the old(er) OS with themselves, provided they can snuggle in the proper partition. Did that with Manjaro, to my surprise, I lost nothing. That was a cool feeling :)
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

OccinticLady wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:52 am As every friday, I drop a video. This one is called Alfa meditation.
Nice meditation piece :D

Volume levels can go a bit higher and stereo is not "ultrawide" but is there, more pronounced on lows than highs:
Attachments
2021-11-26_14.29.03.032.png
2021-11-26_14.29.03.032.png (213.04 KiB) Viewed 11473 times

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

LAM wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:35 pm
OccinticLady wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:52 am As every friday, I drop a video. This one is called Alfa meditation.
Nice meditation piece :D

Volume levels can go a bit higher and stereo is not "ultrawide" but is there, more pronounced on lows than highs:
Ah, FULL analysis...thanks. I can pan further out than already set...I'll make a testpiece and play with this. THANKS :D
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Since the track is called Alpha meditation I guess it's referred to the Alpha waves (8-13 hz) in our brains.

I've been always fascinated by the binaural beats theory, while maintaining an healty skepticism to not fall in every strange theory about that.

I've found an interesting paper on the subject in case it could be of your interest:
Binaural beats and music: using Theta and Alpha waves in music to induce relaxation and meditation

There are some examples made in Ableton ( :? ) but they could be easily transposed using FOSS synths. 8)

OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

LAM wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:09 pm Since the track is called Alpha meditation I guess it's referred to the Alpha waves (8-13 hz) in our brains.

I've been always fascinated by the binaural beats theory, while maintaining an healty skepticism to not fall in every strange theory about that.

I've found an interesting paper on the subject in case it could be of your interest:
Binaural beats and music: using Theta and Alpha waves in music to induce relaxation and meditation

There are some examples made in Ableton ( :? ) but they could be easily transposed using FOSS synths. 8)
Thanks, and - indeed - scepticism where due! I, personally have experience with alpha waves and the meditation. The meditation technique helped me get my drivers license...in one try. In belgium, that is exceptional...so it works...if you dont fall asleep first :wink:
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Ten tracks with 2 plugins each is not really a challenge for modern hardware. I used to do that routinely even on old hardware until I recently upgraded my studio machine.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Very relaxing and quite minimalistic, in a good way!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik