marginal notes

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

caryoscelus
Established Member

marginal notes

Post by caryoscelus »

an album of noise & semi-noise semi-melodic atmospheric stuff , which took painfully more time to finish . as usual , ardour , CC-BY-SA and it's been released on ZeroNet . i'm tired of promoting it though , so here's just a link to bandcamp: https://caryoscelus.bandcamp.com/album/marginal-notes
libre artist in many media :: site :: support my music on badcamp :: liberapay ::
ko-fi
oscillator
Established Member

Re: marginal notes

Post by oscillator »

Very interesting! I think I liked "stable and rocking" the most, maybe because it is a bit more harmonious?

"March is coming" was another interesting track with the contrasting soundscapes.

Sometimes I found the tracks a bit too repetitive or not dynamic enough, but that is a matter of taste (or bad listening on my part).

"Grand organ" was a worthy finish to the album! Cool!

It would be interesting to learn more about how you put the tracks together, ie your workflow.

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

thanks for review and the highlights , i'm glad you liked it /^_^\
oscillator wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:22 pm Sometimes I found the tracks a bit too repetitive or not dynamic enough, but that is a matter of taste (or bad listening on my part).
it might indicate the feeling of meditativeness i tried to go in some tracks (hence repetition) didn't get enhanced by variations enough . also, as much as i tried making the album somewhat of a whole, it's just a collection of unrelated tracks that i found were good enough together . so they might really benefit from different listening styles (e.g. i'm sure many would found "drilling earth" only tolerable as low-volume background stuff ^_^), but then i find it also fun to have a diversely styled album
oscillator wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:22 pm It would be interesting to learn more about how you put the tracks together, ie your workflow.
do you mean the single track production flow or the putting an album out of tracks together? i assume you mean former, but i'll answer the latter first cause it sounds easier to do (and if you indeed meant track production i'll be sure to write up on it later as well)

so, there are basically two patterns i do: either i have an idea for an album (e.g. "improvised piano music" or "conceptual sci-fi apocalypse album from remixed creative commons tracks") and proceed to produce tracks for it (or find one lying around suitable to polish and use) or even do it all in one session (one of my personal favourite album is "nzjz" which is a long single-track which badcamp doesn't even allow me to publish till i trigger sales threshold); or i keep writing tracks and at some point sense that there's enough of them to make an album . then i decide on a kind of common theme for an album (such as "written for video game projects" or "using field recordings") and gather all the tracks that fit and if that's not enough time-wise i write more to fit the album's alleged theme/style . then i spend some time arranging the order so that it feels more of a whole or sounds more natural or more interesting

in the case of "marginal notes" , i had abundance of (semi)finished tracks lying around (ironically "drilling earth" was actually supposed to fall in one of the previous albums , but i forgot to put it there at the time) ; i wrote "count misfortune" specifically as a noise piece accompanied by musical video for this album ; "smoke in the night" and "march is coming" were more of a music tracks made for video type i did much earlier , but they seemed to fit the loose theme of "freestyle noisy stuff" . "history museum" was an attempt at noise-crowdsourcing collab , which didn't go as perfect as i wanted and thus the whole album of that stuff weren't coming anywhere near the horizon so it found its home here . "gray winter..." and "office..." could legitimately make for a beginning of that style of an album , but their method of production (writing all of it, notes and automation, in DAW) was too tedious for me to be able to produce anything of the sort in the near future so it went (after being completed) in as well . i think "stable and rocking" was written specifically for this album and "grand organ" definitely so . now that i've covered every other track , i might as well mention that the dog track was also an olden experiment that felt to fit in well enough and be pleasantly distinctive at the same time (and there was virtually no chance i'd written something as close to that sort of mainstream electronic music (not sure which exact genre it would fall into without the dogs) unless someone begged and paid me to do so , so it had no naturally-fitting place for it coming in the future — then again it could've been useful in some noise-opera sort of thing , but you'll never no what you'll require for those prior anyway and it's easier to start afresh)
libre artist in many media :: site :: support my music on badcamp :: liberapay ::
ko-fi
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

caryoscelus wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:51 am as much as i tried making the album somewhat of a whole, it's just a collection of unrelated tracks that i found were good enough together . so they might really benefit from different listening styles (e.g. i'm sure many would found "drilling earth" only tolerable as low-volume background stuff ^_^), but then i find it also fun to have a diversely styled album
I totally understand, and you are of course right. I am sure if I go back to the album, in a different mood (or time of day even), it will "sound" different. :)
caryoscelus wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:51 am do you mean the single track production flow or the putting an album out of tracks together? i assume you mean former, but i'll answer the latter first cause it sounds easier to do (and if you indeed meant track production i'll be sure to write up on it later as well)
Yes, I meant the former, the making of each track, but your posted description of how you put together the whole album was interesting too! Thank you! :)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

oscillator wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:15 pm Yes, I meant the former, the making of each track, but your posted description of how you put together the whole album was interesting too! Thank you!
glad you enjoyed it ! the process of making of each track is somewhat different every time , but i'm hoping to write up some sort of summary soonish . meanwhile , i used to have a short-lived low-effort video-series about my music-making ; it's available on "darkweb" ZeroNet (inside link) and peertube . i don't remember how bad they were , but at least it's something
ko-fi