No Way

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: No Way

Post by glowrak guy »

...or a chase scene in a busy Guitar Center on black friday :shock:
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

glowrak guy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:18 am The more I listen, the more great things I hear, first the song overall, then the craftsmanship
of the isolated parts. Whenever the 20 minute album version is ready, it will be a good day 8)
It makes me very happy that you've listened to it more than once! :-) Thanks for that and for the kind words! I put a lot of time and effort in my recordings and it makes me very happy when people like them.
glowrak guy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:18 am If your guitar work was recorded dry, you could re-process it with 5 or 6 different fx chains,
re-process the drums to match, paste things together, and close in on the 20 minute mark.
Is there a sharp tenor sax playerin your area? 25 minutes? :shock:
Hey, I could noodle for 25 minutes all by myself! ;-) (Although I feel like listening to that would violate the Geneva Conventions...)
folderol wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:47 pm No going to sleep through this one :lol:
Really enjoyed this. A great 'wake up' track. I could also see it supporting a chase scene in a film.
glowrak guy wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:24 pm ...or a chase scene in a busy Guitar Center on black friday :shock:
:-) So much gear to buy...

And thanks, @folderol for your comments! As you might have noticed, I've used Yoshimi for some of the synth parts. Yoshimi/Zyn are really two of my favorite synths! If I had to choose only one synth, it would probably be one of them. Thank you so much for your work!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Always, pleased to hear Yoshimi being used. Most of the deeply technical work is done by a couple of other devs these days, so I'll pass your thanks on to them.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

An impressive piece of work, incredibly tightly performed and programmed, some great motion in there! Your Genesis is showing a little but that's certainly not a bad thing! :D
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

GMaq wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:02 pm Hi,

An impressive piece of work, incredibly tightly performed and programmed, some great motion in there! Your Genesis is showing a little but that's certainly not a bad thing! :D
Thanks! And funny you should say that: I'm seeing Genesis live this weekend! (And I am so excited! I have never seen them live before.)
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

finotti wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:36 pm
GMaq wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:02 pm Hi,

Thanks! And funny you should say that: I'm seeing Genesis live this weekend! (And I am so excited! I have never seen them live before.)
Make notes! We'll be asking questions later :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

folderol wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:04 pm Make notes! We'll be asking questions later :lol:
Here are my notes:
genesis.jpg
genesis.jpg (116.01 KiB) Viewed 6376 times
Phil cannot sing that well anymore... And can't play the drums at all, which is quite sad. :-( But he still has charisma and I was glad to still be able to see him live. (And in some of the songs he still did a great job!)

Other than that, the concert was fantastic. Everyone else is in great shape and Phil's son, Nicholas, is really an excellent drummer. The production was phenomenal (as usual)!

Of course, they played many of the hits, but I was happy to see some of their older songs too, even if cut short.

For me, it was a dream come true to see them live and I highly recommend anyone to see it while they can! (Likely this is the last chance.)

P.S.: To plug another recording of mine, I recorded a cover of "Second Home by the Sea" a while ago. Although a lot of the credit goes to the person who actually made the MIDI file. (I changed it quite a bit, but I am not sure I'd have the patience to do it all myself...)
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

finotti wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:00 pm
folderol wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:04 pm Make notes! We'll be asking questions later :lol:
Here are my notes:

genesis.jpg

Phil cannot sing that well anymore... And can't play the drums at all, which is quite sad. :-( But he still has charisma and I was glad to still be able to see him live. (And in some of the songs he still did a great job!)

Other than that, the concert was fantastic. Everyone else is in great shape and Phil's son, Nicholas, is really an excellent drummer. The production was phenomenal (as usual)!

Of course, they played many of the hits, but I was happy to see some of their older songs too, even if cut short.

For me, it was a dream come true to see them live and I highly recommend anyone to see it while they can! (Likely this is the last chance.)
Lucky you! :o Even though it was not Steve Hackett on guitars, correct? I'm really loving his recent solo efforts, because they tickle exactly my itch (orchestral prog with classical influences). I've lost count of how many times I've listened to the whole Wolflight album!
finotti wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:00 pm P.S.: To plug another recording of mine, I recorded a cover of "Second Home by the Sea" a while ago. Although a lot of the credit goes to the person who actually made the MIDI file. (I changed it quite a bit, but I am not sure I'd have the patience to do it all myself...)
I do remember that effort, where you recorded Dreams by Van Halen too :D
It was the first time I heard someone using the CrocellKit, which sounded really amazing in your tracks.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:08 pm
Lucky you! :o Even though it was not Steve Hackett on guitars, correct? I'm really loving his recent solo efforts, because they tickle exactly my itch (orchestral prog with classical influences). I've lost count of how many times I've listened to the whole Wolflight album!
Indeed, not Steve Hackett, which is a shame. I would have loved to see him with Genesis again. He has been touring playing old Genesis songs. I have not seen him yet, but will try to make it to the next one.
Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:08 pm
finotti wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:00 pm P.S.: To plug another recording of mine, I recorded a cover of "Second Home by the Sea" a while ago. Although a lot of the credit goes to the person who actually made the MIDI file. (I changed it quite a bit, but I am not sure I'd have the patience to do it all myself...)
I do remember that effort, where you recorded Dreams by Van Halen too :D
It was the first time I heard someone using the CrocellKit, which sounded really amazing in your tracks.
Thanks! I quite like the CrocellKit, although I am not a big fan of its toms. But it is very complete and well recorded!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

That was AWESOME! Fantastic prawgishness! (yes, that is a word) I loved the track, but I also enjoyed reading the blog post. Your DrumGizmo hack is also a good idea. I have shied away from DrumGizmo so far, in favor of the AVL Drumkits lv2 which is comparably simple. But if DrumGizmo can be tamed ... maybe I'l venture there someday.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

finotti wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:27 pm Hey, I could noodle for 25 minutes all by myself! ;-) (Although I feel like listening to that would violate the Geneva Conventions...)
:lol: