Delusion's Master (album)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: Delusion's Master (album)

Post by Rainmak3r »

psyocean wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:05 am I will be brief - the album is masterpiece, progressive, sophisticated. It was interesting to listen to.
Thanks for your very kind words!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Finally got around to listening to the whole album (and remember some of the individual tracks). They all work together very well.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Wow, sorry to arrive late to this thread but I couldn't pass it by without leaving a comment. First off, CONGRATULATIONS on finishing such an epic piece of work! You deserve a pat on the back.

That album cover is awesome. It looks like it could be from southern Utah -- maybe out by the San Rafael Swell? I don't know the specific place from the photo, but there are rock formations like that all around me. Come visit some day and we'll go hiking out there.

The updates to old songs are good. I'm not sure that I noticed every little thing you changed, but I definitely noticed singing in songs that were instrumental before.

Your vocals are quite good. Keep at it, because they add a lot to your sound and you have a good raw talent for singing.

Your guitar solos are so awesome! Every time you start busting out those 32nd notes I just shake my head. How does he do it? He's an animal!

Your music is literally the only heavy metal I ever listen to. And it's not my favorite genre. But you approach it in such an artful way that I can't help but appreciate and even like it. And it's not all metal, of course.

The final track is a masterpiece, and I love the variety in it.

And your comments about the gut-punch that is online traffic stats could just as easily have been written by me about my works. I thought that studying my stats would teach me what I needed to do to improve them. No, it only depresses and angers me. The old cliche is true about the artist who is upset with the world that rejects (i.e. ignores) his work. That is me, and you, and pretty much everyone who has ever tried to make art.

I guess my point is don't let it get to you too much. My usual approach to the problem is to intentionally ignore my stats -- most of the time. I can't help but look at them sometimes though. But I am always happier when I am not tying my sense of self-worth to an indirect and poor measure of how much people like me.

A few things to keep in mind:
1) If you are happy with your own work, then you have satisfied your most important audience
2) You have gotten some awesome feedback on this thread alone. There are some people in this world who care about and appreciate you and your art.
3) The people who listened for <30 seconds are not your audience and you don't have to care about why they didn't listen.
4) Creating is the fun part, and that is the whole reason why we do this. Any benefit we get from sharing our work is a bonus.

And just for the record, I listened all the way to the end. :)
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

milo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:04 pm Wow, sorry to arrive late to this thread but I couldn't pass it by without leaving a comment. First off, CONGRATULATIONS on finishing such an epic piece of work! You deserve a pat on the back.
Better late than never! :lol: Thanks for your kind words!
milo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:04 pm That album cover is awesome. It looks like it could be from southern Utah -- maybe out by the San Rafael Swell? I don't know the specific place from the photo, but there are rock formations like that all around me. Come visit some day and we'll go hiking out there.
Looks like the photographer is from New Mexico, but I'm not sure if that's where he took that photo. His account on pexels has a ton of photos just as gorgeous, if not even more! That one really hooked me for some reason when I stumbled upon it, as it did feel like it would match the title track perfectly: as I've said in another comment, it had a magic vibe to it, and looked like a broken tower in the desert, a bit like in the novel itself.
milo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:04 pm The updates to old songs are good. I'm not sure that I noticed every little thing you changed, but I definitely noticed singing in songs that were instrumental before.

Your vocals are quite good. Keep at it, because they add a lot to your sound and you have a good raw talent for singing.
Yes, the singing was a considerable part of the updates, even though for most of them I did at least something. I'll be back for you was completely rerecorded from scratch instead. I'm glad you liked the vocals, especially considering how good you are with those in your works! I cannot yet say confidently that I'm happy with them (I know my limits, and I do cringe when I listen to some of the parts), but for sure they came out much better than I expected they would when I forced myself to do them. One thing's for sure, I'll definitely do it again someday :mrgreen:
milo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:04 pm Your guitar solos are so awesome! Every time you start busting out those 32nd notes I just shake my head. How does he do it? He's an animal!
You're way too kind! I do cheat a bit when I record solos, as I never record them in a single take: it's always different parts that I stitch together, as I consistently make a ton of mistakes when I try to play them all in a go. But I do love composing the solos: sometimes they force me to use a technique I'm not really comfortable with, and for all of them I always try to come up with a melodic trail that makes sense, which is a ton of fun from a writing perspective.
milo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:04 pm Your music is literally the only heavy metal I ever listen to. And it's not my favorite genre. But you approach it in such an artful way that I can't help but appreciate and even like it. And it's not all metal, of course.
That's a great compliment, and I'm glad I'm playing a little part in helping you enjoy a genre you wouldn't usually approach otherwise!
milo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:04 pm The final track is a masterpiece, and I love the variety in it.
That's amazing to hear! Knowing how much time I spent on it, music lovers like you appreciating it makes it all worthwhile!
milo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:04 pm And your comments about the gut-punch that is online traffic stats could just as easily have been written by me about my works. I thought that studying my stats would teach me what I needed to do to improve them. No, it only depresses and angers me. The old cliche is true about the artist who is upset with the world that rejects (i.e. ignores) his work. That is me, and you, and pretty much everyone who has ever tried to make art.

I guess my point is don't let it get to you too much. My usual approach to the problem is to intentionally ignore my stats -- most of the time. I can't help but look at them sometimes though. But I am always happier when I am not tying my sense of self-worth to an indirect and poor measure of how much people like me.

A few things to keep in mind:
1) If you are happy with your own work, then you have satisfied your most important audience
2) You have gotten some awesome feedback on this thread alone. There are some people in this world who care about and appreciate you and your art.
3) The people who listened for <30 seconds are not your audience and you don't have to care about why they didn't listen.
4) Creating is the fun part, and that is the whole reason why we do this. Any benefit we get from sharing our work is a bonus.
100% agree with all you said! And I must say I did manage to come to terms with happened to be just a bitter moment. I recently got a notification from Distrokid about my earnings, for instance, and when I read they could pay me 0.03 cents I had a good laugh rather than plunge into depression :lol:

I'm already working on basically two albums at the same time, as one is almost ready (it's missing another long epic I haven't started yet), and another is a torrent of ideas I've received in the past month that I've already started writing down and partially recording (I wouldn't be surprised if I finished the latter first :mrgreen: ). That helped me remind that this is indeed the fun part: even if it's just for myself, just that exhilarating moment of when you get an idea and you start writing it down is ALWAYS worth it! Everything else is a plus.
milo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:04 pm And just for the record, I listened all the way to the end. :)
Hahaha, really appreciated! :lol:
Thanks for the kind words and the helpful feedback!
PieterPenninckx
Established Member

Post by PieterPenninckx »

Hi @Rainmak3r, impressive work! I normally don't listen to anything that resembles rock, but I make an exception for you :-)

The title track is great and has an epic length. I can only guess how you manage that.

Concerning the statistics: I'm glad you came to terms with them. I share Milo's opinion about statistics. I'd only like to add that stats tell more about your marketing than about the quality of your music.

Oh yeah, and I like your voice :-)
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

New Mexico is very similar to southern Utah. Not too surprised.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

PieterPenninckx wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:06 pm Hi @Rainmak3r, impressive work! I normally don't listen to anything that resembles rock, but I make an exception for you :-)
Thanks, and glad to do my part on behalf of rock :mrgreen:
PieterPenninckx wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:06 pm The title track is great and has an epic length. I can only guess how you manage that.
It only took a few months and a bit of my sanity :lol:
PieterPenninckx wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:06 pm Concerning the statistics: I'm glad you came to terms with them. I share Milo's opinion about statistics. I'd only like to add that stats tell more about your marketing than about the quality of your music.
That's a fair point, and since I'm not really to make a career out of this (it's only fun) I really shoudln't care about how it fares in that regard.
PieterPenninckx wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:06 pm Oh yeah, and I like your voice :-)
Thanks, even if I do realize I have a ton of work to do there! I'll have to ask my speech therapist sister (who's also a vocal coach) to give me some tips, even though I suspect she'll assign me more excercises and tasks than I'll be willing to make :D
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

milo wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:54 pm New Mexico is very similar to southern Utah. Not too surprised.
We will indeed have to take a hike aroud there someday, then :D