A video...

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

Re: A video...

Post by milo »

OccinticLady wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:12 am ...I just posted a new one: https://youtu.be/PsrFFuN9sBw
A few thoughts on this one:

First off, I really like it! It has a fantastic mood, and I love how the chord progression in the pad synth creates tension with the static arpeggio. The pad synth patch sounds really rich.

There is a bit of noise in the recording, which sounds like tape hiss but is probably an analog connection somewhere in your setup. It fades with the arpeggio at the end, so I think it's probably in that track. See if you can clean up that noise somehow by stopping it at the source, simplifying your rig to avoid analog connections, or with Noise Repellant (https://github.com/lucianodato/noise-repellent).

There is room for more in the bass frequencies. A long sustain bass would work well and could add some interesting texture to your chords. That could add some more emotional impact to the piece. Or if you wanted to change up the texture there is plenty of room for a more active bass and percussion track.

You have something interesting going on in the baritone range as a counterpoint, but it is mostly lost in the muddiness of the mid-lows. There are good ways to clean up the mid-low frequencies, basically by using high-pass filters judiciously, and plenty of online tutorials that explain the technique.

Overall, despite my nitpicks, this is a solid piece of work and I am definitely interested in hearing more from you.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

I think this is the very first time I've seen clothespins used to sustain notes on a keyboard, very clever! :mrgreen:

I liked the track very much, very atmospheric, and I liked how it was played entirely live rather than scripted: I almost wanted to ring that bell myself from time to time :lol: My only note would be on the bass drum, when you played it in a sequence: this is very much personal taste, but I would have preferred less loud hits after the first one, which would have maybe enhanced the atmosphere even more (but again, this is very much personal taste, so take this with many pinches of salt!)
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

That FM bell at 1.34 minutes is really a blast from the past 8) . It's probably from a DX7 or something and has been used in a lot of music like in the title of Castle Master on Amiga :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyTbC1NRP9U
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Toejam76 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:18 am That FM bell at 1.34 minutes is really a blast from the past 8) . It's probably from a DX7 or something and has been used in a lot of music like in the title of Castle Master on Amiga :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyTbC1NRP9U
Aaah, Castle Master, I loved that game! And yeah, the tubular bell feels exactly the same :)
Last edited by Rainmak3r on Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

milo wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:52 pm
OccinticLady wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:12 am ...I just posted a new one: https://youtu.be/PsrFFuN9sBw
A few thoughts on this one:

First off, I really like it! It has a fantastic mood, and I love how the chord progression in the pad synth creates tension with the static arpeggio. The pad synth patch sounds really rich.

There is a bit of noise in the recording, which sounds like tape hiss but is probably an analog connection somewhere in your setup. It fades with the arpeggio at the end, so I think it's probably in that track. See if you can clean up that noise somehow by stopping it at the source, simplifying your rig to avoid analog connections, or with Noise Repellant (https://github.com/lucianodato/noise-repellent).

There is room for more in the bass frequencies. A long sustain bass would work well and could add some interesting texture to your chords. That could add some more emotional impact to the piece. Or if you wanted to change up the texture there is plenty of room for a more active bass and percussion track.

You have something interesting going on in the baritone range as a counterpoint, but it is mostly lost in the muddiness of the mid-lows. There are good ways to clean up the mid-low frequencies, basically by using high-pass filters judiciously, and plenty of online tutorials that explain the technique.

Overall, despite my nitpicks, this is a solid piece of work and I am definitely interested in hearing more from you.
Ah! You heared the noise too. So did I, this was the reason to redo the track a few times. It can (is, in fact, Im convinced of that) be a setup-thing. I use a DELL laptop as synth, the out (headphone jack, not ideal) goes to the EPM-6 and then to the HP EliteBook (Mike in, not ideal as well). I'mm see pronto to the noise repellant, this can help.
Thanks a ton :D
Extra bass...that is something I need to try in the next track (to be dropped next friday)...where I do want to go beyond (far beyond) the presets the synth has...
So...sound shaping/modelling is required...more to learn, whee :D
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

Rainmak3r wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:52 am I think this is the very first time I've seen clothespins used to sustain notes on a keyboard, very clever! :mrgreen:

I liked the track very much, very atmospheric, and I liked how it was played entirely live rather than scripted: I almost wanted to ring that bell myself from time to time :lol: My only note would be on the bass drum, when you played it in a sequence: this is very much personal taste, but I would have preferred less loud hits after the first one, which would have maybe enhanced the atmosphere even more (but again, this is very much personal taste, so take this with many pinches of salt!)
Hmm, the bass drum (being a wav file) is up for an update, as well as the wooden block.
The drumpad I used is touch sensitive, as MIDI instruments oucht to be, and I dont have that control as yet. I was going for the rolling thundrer sound made by a taiko, hence the needed update. It's...not that "taiko" :wink:
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

OccinticLady wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:38 pm
Rainmak3r wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:52 am I think this is the very first time I've seen clothespins used to sustain notes on a keyboard, very clever! :mrgreen:

Hmm, the bass drum (being a wav file) is up for an update, as well as the wooden block.
The drumpad I used is touch sensitive, as MIDI instruments oucht to be, and I dont have that control as yet. I was going for the rolling thundrer sound made by a taiko, hence the needed update. It's...not that "taiko" :wink:
If you're interested in good Taiko samples, this SFZ library has some very good ones: https://schristiancollins.com/vi-percussion.php