The queen is dead (synthetic orchestral piece)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

psyocean
Established Member

Re: The queen is dead (synthetic orchestral piece)

Post by psyocean »

Solemnly, sublimely, I want to freeze and listen, beautiful music, bravo!
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

I am very glad that this piece seems to touch something and I'm grateful for all your nice comments! <3
Btw. I worked the fugue into a fully fledged fugue on its own. I'm just waiting for the input of my trusty second pair of ears. :) I would never have gotten through this so fast without the boost from this community (which includes the LAU mailinglist). Maybe I would have just dropped it.
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Late to the party... I have to agree the compositional stuff is top notch as usual and I'm far to too musically illiterate to really quantify that in the proper terms but I can hear the skill being employed both with the selection of instruments and the interplay..

I will say as an outside admirer of Electronic Music mostly for the unique palette of sounds it presents I kind of have difficulty being fully engaged when the electronic stuff tries to emulate acoustic instruments it isn't generally particularly good at ie string bass, tympani, guitars/lutes and stuff like that but I don't know the limitations or the rules of the original contest this was composed for..

I would really like to hear this piece with a blend of electronic sounds and decent orchestral samples to put the best choices of every sound in their place, the composition is VERY strong and I think the medium used obscures that somewhat..

More of a general opinion than specific to this piece..
PieterPenninckx
Established Member

Post by PieterPenninckx »

Again very nice. I envy how you manage to create a rich texture and yet keep the melody and harmony clear. You make composing music seem so easy :D I"m also curious to hear how your singing will evolve and how this will influence the other aspects of your music.

I've watched your "making of" with interest and it surprises me how the end result seems to be very natural and organic, while the tools require a lot of thinking. I'm also surprised about how many effects you use (especially since it seems to be rather hard to use them).

I had hoped that after watching your "making of", I would know all your secrets about how you compose and arrange music. I won't ask you to reveal all your secrets, so just the following questions: do you have a strong background in music theory (it seems to be)? How did you learn how to compose and arrange?
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

PieterPenninckx wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:15 pm ...
I've watched your "making of" with interest and it surprises me how the end result seems to be very natural and organic, while the tools require a lot of thinking.
Certainly easier than starting with a sheet of paper or a notation program and go from there. :)
I'm also surprised about how many effects you use (especially since it seems to be rather hard to use them).
It's not hard to use them, it's just more typing and for more complex cases thinking around the structure of Nama/Ecasound.

do you have a strong background in music theory (it seems to be)?
No. I learnt to play the piano with a private teacher. So no exams, no competitions and never compositional training or analysis. I mostly learnt from playing, which takes far longer, yields less technique and is sometimes faulty. A bit like the mathematician and physicist jokes, where the physicists apply the mahts without understanding the premises. :) No insult to physicists intended, I studied at least one subdiscipline of physics myself. :) I did read a few notes on theory and I have musically minded friends with more persistence and proper education. Talking to them also helps.

How did you learn how to compose and arrange?
By doing. Sorry, I started with my first home keyboard, played three chords and thought the result worthy of fame. :) I worked through step sequencing and simple songs. Then tried prog rock, because I had no MIDI sequencers and thus all electronic music sounded horrible. I imitated a lot, worked out chord progressions or parts of progressions. The same with the more classical forms. I began by lightly dabbing a bit of counterpoint or polyphony here and there. Slow going, but an easy way. Though the way is paved with falling short. :)

I hope that wasn't to disheartening and further muddying the waters. :)

Best wishes, Jeanette
--
PieterPenninckx
Established Member

Post by PieterPenninckx »

jeanette_c wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:31 pm I hope that wasn't to disheartening and further muddying the waters.
Not at the least. It confirms that I may very well be on the right track :D

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
OccinticLady
Established Member

Post by OccinticLady »

@jeanette_c Well, whatever queen is dead...it's not Her Majesty Queen Wendy.
I heared a tribute to her.
Super well done, I loved it!
Melissa
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

OccinticLady wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:49 pm @jeanette_c Well, whatever queen is dead...it's not Her Majesty Queen Wendy.
I heared a tribute to her.
Thanks a lot @OccinticLady . By "queen Wendy" do you mean her majesty of the house of Carlos? I'm certainly a subject of hers by choice. :)
If you enjoyed that, you might like the full fugue I published today. That's a plug if I ever saw one. :)
--