Much Ado About Nothing

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

Much Ado About Nothing

Post by milo »

much-ado-about-nothing-800x800-1.jpg
much-ado-about-nothing-800x800-1.jpg (243.77 KiB) Viewed 3537 times
I helped my sister record an album this year. She decided to write the music for a large home school production of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing for 12-14 year olds. I showed her the ropes of home music production, and we had a lot of fun on the project. The genre of the music ranges from art songs and a Baroque concerto grosso, all the way to 70's country rock and an 80's power ballad. And there's also this weird song which is a punk rock waltz children's duet, with a rock organ. My sister loves that song, and that's all that matters. :)

Here is the album: https://sanderson.band/albums/much-ado-about-nothing/

And here is a podcast with the two of us talking about the production: https://sanderson.band/2021/07/05/podcast4/

Enjoy!
matterisvoid
Established Member

Re: Much Ado About Nothing

Post by matterisvoid »

This is actually really cool, seems like a fun project. Is "The Mischief's Song" the punk rock waltz you were talking about? It's a very creative track!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

matterisvoid wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:50 am This is actually really cool, seems like a fun project. Is "The Mischief's Song" the punk rock waltz you were talking about? It's a very creative track!
Yes, that is The Mischiefs. It was the villain's song in the play. When my sister sent it to me it was a beautiful vocal duet with piano and cello accompaniment, and she told me to rough it up a little. So I did. :)
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

This is great. It makes me think of how West Side Story is a retelling of Romeo and Juliet with mid-20th century music and choreography. With so much content it is hard to comment on the details, but it has a nice cohesive sound, like a concept album. Of course I always like reading your copious production notes, and this album is no exception! Both of you tell a story of quite a wild ride from the original concept idea to the finished product, with lots of people involved in the different stages of production. I think everybody involved is entitled to feel great about how the whole album turned out.

P.S. I just barely got to the bottom of your production notes and saw the part about the homemade condenser mic! Hahaha, I'm glad that it still works, and I love the results you're getting from it.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

That microphone is my favorite! It rarely has a buzz that I think is from the cable jack because it stops when I adjust the cable, but otherwise it's great.

This album demonstrates the fun side of collaboration, where you can't predict the random places that somebody else's creativity will take you. And all of your contributions melt together to create something that is yours in both the plural and singular sense.

Here are some of my favorite moments:

- The power ballad's guitar solo is one of my best to date.
- I had a big hand in arranging the Regency Square Dance to add variety, and I wrote a lot of the harpsichord part. I really like how it turned out.
- Bright Future has a great feel to it. I like the sliding lead guitar and the wandering bass part.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Wow, you have one creative family! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Quite an epic that! I was going to just dip in, but ended up listening right through :D
Very enjoyable.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Thanks, @folderol. The synth in the power ballad was Yoshimi. I can't remember which preset offhand, but it was perfect for the song.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

So much good music, an impressive and inspiring project!

I love the positive mood of "Bright future", and the singing in "The Mischief's Song" is great. As is that guitar solo in the power ballad!

I have worked with relatives on some songs too, it is very rewarding, and fun!

I have an idea (and stubs for all the songs) for a musical, maybe I dare start this project now?

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

oscillator wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:34 am I have an idea (and stubs for all the songs) for a musical, maybe I dare start this project now?
If you have to ask, the answer is yes.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Michael Willis wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:50 pm
oscillator wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:34 am I have an idea (and stubs for all the songs) for a musical, maybe I dare start this project now?
If you have to ask, the answer is yes.
Thanks! Well, then I'll just have to finish one synthpop song, then it is on to the musical! :D

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

oscillator wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:34 am So much good music, an impressive and inspiring project!

I love the positive mood of "Bright future", and the singing in "The Mischief's Song" is great. As is that guitar solo in the power ballad!

I have worked with relatives on some songs too, it is very rewarding, and fun!

I have an idea (and stubs for all the songs) for a musical, maybe I dare start this project now?
Thanks for the listen and comments!

I recently relistened to my interview on the LibreQuest podcast because it was mentioned on another thread here. I was struck by how much my music has changed in such a short time by collaborating with others. It feels like so long ago but it was only 18 months. Back then I was building a cathedral by myself, and now I am exchanging ideas in a bazaar. It's really fun and rewarding, as you said.

I'm looking forward to hearing your musical!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

milo wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:25 pm I recently relistened to my interview on the LibreQuest podcast because it was mentioned on another thread here. I was struck by how much my music has changed in such a short time by collaborating with others. It feels like so long ago but it was only 18 months. Back then I was building a cathedral by myself, and now I am exchanging ideas in a bazaar. It's really fun and rewarding, as you said.
True words! And the people here at LM are great, all of you!

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

oscillator wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:38 pm Thanks! Well, then I'll just have to finish one synthpop song, then it is on to the musical! :D
I don't know what kind of musical you imagine, but let me know if you want a clarinet solo.
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Michael Willis wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:01 pm I don't know what kind of musical you imagine, but let me know if you want a clarinet solo.
That is definitely something I want, although my brother is a clarinet player (and lives close by), so I'll ask him first. Do you handle any other instruments? Maybe a bass clarinet, they are very cool!