Two Recent Tracks (Nuit & ma-jik)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

Two Recent Tracks (Nuit & ma-jik)

Post by lilith »

Just finished with this one. Done in Bitwig with Softsynths:

https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/nuit

And this is a collaboration with André (https://soundcloud.com/adrezonar) who is also a member here in the forum.

We used 100% SunVox for the track except for the final cut of the Mastertrack.

https://soundcloud.com/lilith_93/majik- ... -lilith-93
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Two Recent Tracks (Nuit & ma-jik)

Post by Basslint »

Nuit: great cyberpunk mood!

Ma-jik: what a jam!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

I enjoyed nuit very much. There are some good sounds, I like the atmosphere and the arrangement. It has a timeless sound to me. There are reminiscences of several decades, but I couldn't say that there is a particular leaning towards one era. Nice track!
Ma-Jik is also an interesting one. It appears to celebrate the virtues of the early 90s in composition, arrangement and production.
What was most striking, for me, in both tracks is the leap in production. Both tracks sound so polished and rounded. It could partly be a question of the sounds themselves, but I have a feeling it's much more in the mix and processing. They are clear, balanced and transparent. But not too polished to sound incongruous or implausible.
Merci pour le partager, je pense que j'irai l'ecouter nuit dans la nuit encore une fois. :)
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

@lilith

Nuit: Very good track, I like very much the atmosphere you created. Nice synth bassline, intriguing scale, very good retro drums and mixing.

@lilith and @Adrezonar

Majik: This really feels like has been done in a tracker (in a good way), stands out for being a nice mix of different styles. Great work!

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Thanks for comments. I'll look more into SunVox in the next weeks. IMO this piece of software is really overlooked. It's so well thought out and fun to work with.

@jeanette_c I really did nothing special with the mix. While composing I'm constantly adjusting sounds and mixing. So, for me composing and mixing is one process. When the track is finished it is also mixed and I just have to add a little bit compression and EQ on the master bus. Usually I use Presswerk and FC-70. Lower a bit the mid range by 1-2 dB to take out muddiness and adjust the highs and lows while comparing it to other tracks on different headphones and speakers.

@LAM Scale is E phrygian (just C
tongo
Established Member

Post by tongo »

Hy , nuit is sounding very good , i like it , is very efficient ! Ma-jik is sounding good too , i'm very suprised by the tracks quality made with sunvox , there a lot of good things made with this soft .
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I enjoyed these, but found the voiceovers in Ma-jik a bit of a distraction - I'm never keen on them.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Nuit reminds me of the Knight Rider theme, which IMO is a good thing. It takes me back to those innocent days of my youth when David Hasselhoff was still cool. I pretty much always like your tracks because you have such a good sound and a good sense of balance in your soundscapes. I agree with @folderol that the voice samples in Majik could have been scaled back a bit, but that's a matter of taste.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

The way it started, it sounded like a piece that would have felt right at home in the "Hotline Miami" soundtrack :lol: It quickly becomes even more interesting, though: I love the rhythm, great mid-tempo song!
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

milo wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:57 pm Nuit reminds me of the Knight Rider theme, which IMO is a good thing. It takes me back to those innocent days of my youth when David Hasselhoff was still cool. I pretty much always like your tracks because you have such a good sound and a good sense of balance in your soundscapes. I agree with @folderol that the voice samples in Majik could have been scaled back a bit, but that's a matter of taste.
Oh no not again ... Every second track I'm making sounds like Night Rider :lol:
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Why the thump is going down if I thank a post???
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

If you click on the thumb down it will un-thank, or un-do the thank. There is no dislike option It's not the best icon. Probably a red outlined thumbs-up would be better.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

lilith wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:01 pm Oh no not again ... Every second track I'm making sounds like Night Rider :lol:
Oh, sorry. That was probably me that brought up Knight Rider last time too!

Maybe you should try doing the Baywatch theme? :lol:
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

I really liked Nuit but preferred Ma-jik! I love that rippy bass but both tunes (as is often shown in your best work) evolve nicely with interesting variations and textures. I'd like a fatter Kick sample but I never know what you EDM guys are up to..lol. Sometimes it's about making things sound like classic hardware or about making things sound shitty and lo-fi on purpose and I never know when it's one or the other.. :lol: