Alision spring

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lilith
Established Member

Re: Alision spring

Post by lilith »

jeanette_c wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:36 am
lilith wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:43 pm ...
This would also fit for a soundtrack of a Jodorowsky movie (I have a déjà-vue right now :mrgreen: )
Could you recommend a film with a nice soundtrack? I'm not very up on films, but now I am intrigued.
Many thanks for your sweet praise. <3
I checked the Jodorowsky soundtracks and they are really different. It's more a feeling which comes from the 70s melodies you are using I guess.
Timm Thaler is similar though but I guess you know it anyway.
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Tenaba wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:17 pm ...
I wish I knew enough theory to modulate that smoothly, like in the intro and outro.
I love modulations from one key to another, if the genre allows it. :) I recently came to sometimes look at harmonic circles, like the omnibus pattern, there are many other ways of shifting chords around. Some of them sound really nice and are easy enough to learn and copy. Perhaps worth a try, if you feel like it. It doesn't have to take a huge knowledge of theory to do such things. Certainly, it does not have to be aproached from a theoretical point of view. Mostly I go back to figures I know from baroque music, things I discover while noodling or working out short snippets of any kind of piece I like.

Thanks a lot for the nice comment and I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

Best wishes, Jeanette
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

lilith wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:24 pm ...
I checked the Jodorowsky soundtracks
Timm Thaler is similar though but I guess you know it anyway.
Hm, I have heard it once. But I think I know the school and am now quite sure that another series "Mandara" also has his stamp. I love these melodies and harmonies and yes, to some extent. I just check the theme for Tim Thaler and funnily enough, I think the synth demo that inspired me used that. :) They just played it more slowly and more like a dance tune from an even ealier era. :)
--
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi jeanette_c..

I'm a bit mixed on this one... I love the piano, the haunting melody and the brass. The arrangement is really great except for the drums, they seem to distract and detract more than add to this arrangement. The drum parts are really not what a drummer would play nor are they intentionally 'electronic' enough to pass as an artistic programming choice. If they were included to give the piece more 'proggy' gravitas I think it was a misfire. This piece has more than enough merits without a percussion track at all.

I hope to not offend, just trying to be "constructively honest" because I think you have tremendous talent!
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

GMaq wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:19 am I'm a bit mixed on this one... I love the piano, the haunting melody and the brass. The arrangement is really great
Thanks @GMaq .
except for the drums, they seem to distract and detract more than add to this arrangement.
That is interesting. Playing/performance asiide, I would have felt the track had a hole without them...
The drum parts are really not what a drummer would play nor are they intentionally 'electronic' enough to pass as an artistic programming choice. If they were included to give the piece more 'proggy' gravitas I think it was a misfire.
That too is an interesting comment. I don't think I wanted to induce more prog, just adhere to a cliche. Perhaps more in the vein of late 70s soundtracks or instrumental arrangements for (the better) James Last, perhaps Richard Kleiderman. I know I was challenged arriving at a good sound, having used a DrumGizmo kit for the first time. I was not ultimately happy with the result. Could you perhaps lay your finger on something really odd in the performance, the playiing style? Usually I'm not that bad, but I know that there's always more to learn. Btw.: the drums aren't programmed. :)
I hope to not offend, just trying to be "constructively honest"
You don't offend. I am grateful for your honesty and the attention and efford you bring. And naturally, I am flattered by all the kind praise. :) Thanks Glen!
Best wishes, Jeanette
--
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

jeanette_c wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:57 am That too is an interesting comment. I don't think I wanted to induce more prog, just adhere to a cliche. Perhaps more in the vein of late 70s soundtracks or instrumental arrangements for (the better) James Last, perhaps Richard Kleiderman. I know I was challenged arriving at a good sound, having used a DrumGizmo kit for the first time. I was not ultimately happy with the result. Could you perhaps lay your finger on something really odd in the performance, the playiing style? Usually I'm not that bad, but I know that there's always more to learn. Btw.: the drums aren't programmed. :)
I guess part of the reason is that Aasimonster2 (the kit you used) isn't really suited for anything other than Death/Black metal :mrgreen: I found the sounds luckluster when I tinkered with it in other contexts, which is why I basically always used another kit instead. I personally use the Muldjord kit pretty much everywhere since it's the first one I liked, at the time, and although it's mostly metal-oriented as well, I found it to be flexible enough for other genres as well (as the folk part in Mary, a song I shared a couple of years ago). A more common choice is the CrocellKit, which is widely considered the most flexible kit available for DrumGizmo: I used it for one song and liked it enough, but I haven't played much with it.

Whatever kit you use, you'll probably want to enable and tinker with the bleed control: I still haven't figured out a way to properly get rid of bleed AND not end up with a bland sound, which is the mean reason why drums in my songs usually "suck" (it's hard to apply the right processing to snare, toms, etc., due to the fact they bleed in other channels of the kit). Considering you have much more expertise in the area, I'm sure you'll succeed where I so far failed :lol:
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:35 pm ...
I guess part of the reason is that Aasimonster2 (the kit you used) isn't really suited for anything other than Death/Black metal
Funny, I found it to be rather clean, perhaps bland, but just because of that there are possibilities. :) Perhaps not enough. I have played the Crocello and should do so again. On my old system it caused crashes due to failing RAM. :(
Whatever kit you use, you'll probably want to enable and tinker with the bleed control:
(it's hard to apply the right processing to snare, toms, etc., due to the fact they bleed in other channels of the kit).
I can't really tinker with the controls, since I use the commandline version. Something could probably be done offline, with option or XML hacking. But the bleed is exactly one of the strong points. This is how a real kit would be recorded. And precisely the reason why it's so difficult to deal with. I know the theory of processing, but it's still a way from there to achieving good results, setting parameters correctly, compensating for the partiulcar behaviour of certain gates, EQs or compressors. Perhaps another good opportunity to experiment with hitherto unexplored plugins.
--
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Masterpiece! My respect!
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/