Saint Tinnitus Dance, One.

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

(Danse de Sainte Acouphène. Ière partie.)

http://thedarkdesign.free.fr/zak/Saint_ ... ce-One.mkv
(alternative formats:
https://youtu.be/aXid9qnV238
http://thedarkdesign.free.fr/zak/Saint_ ... ce-One.mp4
http://thedarkdesign.free.fr/zak/Saint_ ... ce-One.ogg
)

Composer: Loki Harfagr
Conductor: Loki Harfagr and Saint Tinnitus
Description: Painting my tinnitus in sounds to be accessible to others.

Tracking was made with Ardour 6.7
Mixing and Mastering made with Mixbus-32C V7.0.150

tracks are:
- One finger-picked SG guitar take on DI, using direct in excellent KPP-OD and KPP-preamp plugins
- ACE Fluid Synth. (Orchestral bass strings, 2 tracks)
- Monique (mono synth, 2 tracks)
- Fluida (choir synth, 1 track)
- Noize Mak3r (noize synth, 1 track)
- Sitala (Drum sampsynth, 1 track)

- Video goofing concept: Dark Design & St-Tinnitus.
- (Graphic & video tools: Gimp, projectM-jack, apitrace, ffmpeg, Olive)

*** WARNING *** to all tireable persons: long boring text (yes, even more) ahead starting next line:
Since @sunrat was curious about the making of the video part I'll add there the few details I remember on how I did what then, it'll be a hazard description as it was made quite on the fly while reusing the wheels and reinventing ways to complicate their use :)
I usually take a fast go at some scripting in sed/awk/bash to generate some half-random clips with ffmpeg but on that specific Saint-Tinnitus piece I wanted to represent more specifically the inner vibes, somehow translating the sound frequencies up the spectrum from Hertz to TeraHertz ;)
First, I decided to concentrate the idea on three feeding sources and selected then exported independently (using Ardour) the tracks from Sitala, Orchestra and guitar, then it was time to use them for the Tera-transmutation!
I then remembered some visualizations I found nice, seen years ago which used "MilkDrop" so I searched for it and found out there was something called projectM, build and installed it (I had to build it since I wanted to use its Jack extension) put the selected tracks through it (using qjackctl) and started to select the presets that seemed close to my aims in the gigillions presets there already exist all around.
Finally selected four of them, mogrified a bit some parameters and ended up with three softly modified presets, one for each "feeder" (for completion the initial presets were "Geiss - Game of Life", "martin - another kind of groove", "Aderrasi - Dark Matter (Converse Mix)" and "Bmelgren & Krash - Rainbow Orb Peacock (Lonely Signal Gone)" cheers to the original makers :)
Then it was time to crunch the bytes so for each of the three feeding tracks I played them (using

Code: Select all

mpv -ao jack
) in projectM-jack while launching it using the magic stuff, nominately '

apitrace trace projectM-jack
'.
Did I tell you that this paragraph could be long and boring?
Well, it takes some time and some room since the apitrace dump for these 206 seconds tracks are each around 10Gbytes but it comes longer and hotter then as I then had to extract each frame of the apiptrace to a png format check them (about 40000 pics) to discard the really b0rk3n ones (which happens like IRL when the GPU and CPU decide to have a preparatory meeting before work) and then rebuild a video image track using something around, wait for it:

'ffmpeg -framerate ${_framerate2use}  -pattern_type glob -i '*.png' -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p out.$(date +%s).mp4
'
(note that the framerate was recalculated according to the actual remaining number of frames // actual length to sync)
Then it was time to assemble with some "transparency dosing" the resulting clips with the audio, I first tried to use FlowBlade but all in all I got bored to shoot a crystal ball every time I tried to find where was the cursor and what happened to the FX I just selected or where did my pics vanished so supposed it was time for a quick break and since I recently noticed a new video NLE named "Olive" it was about time to check if it was an easier go and getter before I'd got up and went, and it was.
Then, still in Olive (version: April 2019 | Alpha | 0ac9dd9) I exported it to mp4 and mkv and here we are :)
If you're still here and reading you can now have a beer :)
Last edited by Loki Harfagr on Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gps
Established Member

Re: Saint Tinnitus Dance, One.

Post by Gps »

That video seems to crash my mplayer after a few seconds of playing.

After the second time I gave up
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Seems to play well with MPV here.

Anyway, good job @Loki Harfagr.

I was expecting some killer drum after the intro, but could always come in the future. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Thanks for the detailed description of the video process sounds like more work than the audio! It plays perfectly here in MPV btw.
I already said how I liked the playing and production of the music over at Mixbus forum. 8)
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Interesting and disturbing work. I can definitely sympathise with the ear splitting aspects of this composition being a sufferer myself. :(
I like the surprising end. :)
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

jeanette_c wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:03 pm Interesting and disturbing work. I can definitely sympathise with the ear splitting aspects of this composition being a sufferer myself. :(
I like the surprising end. :)

I'm enjoying that at last and least someone spotted the "forbidden chords" ;)
And I'm similarly quite overwhelmed and confused seeing that it might need to be a sufferer to spot it ;D
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I can't get it to play on my phone or desktop. Got an error message about a corrupt file. Do you have an audio-only version? Or can you post it to a video streaming service?

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus. That can be a very distressing symptom for some patients, and there usually isn't much that a doctor can do for it. It doesn't really respond to any medications. Sometimes hearing aids help, and sometimes they make it worse.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

milo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:50 pm I can't get it to play on my phone or desktop. Got an error message about a corrupt file.
Uh, this is unfortunate! I'm puzzled about that, though I tested through various networks (vpn, tor, etc.) and never got any error there are still some rare reports of trouble from (place to time)²
Was it same error on both (mkv or mp4) versions?

You can try the audio-only version, same form of address in same thedarkdesign.free.fr site 20s' page, direct URL:
http://thedarkdesign.free.fr/zak/Saint_ ... ce-One.ogg

As for other video/audio streaming services I was about to put them on Soundcloud and YT but had a lot of family stuff to cope with meanwhile :)
milo wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:50 pm Do you have an audio-only version? Or can you post it to a video streaming service?

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus. That can be a very distressing symptom for some patients, and there usually isn't much that a doctor can do for it. It doesn't really respond to any medications. Sometimes hearing aids help, and sometimes they make it worse.
Yup, nothing much to do, no medication helps, some sort of meditation might help from time to time based on sitting with a beer around and a guitar or a bass to cuddle :)
I've had tinnitus since I was 3 so am quite used to it now that I finally realized a few years later most of them were not actual voices inside my head, now as a geezer I also have hearing aids and yes they sometimes help but when helzapoppin they sure sprouts and hiss.

Tell me if the audio version is b0rk3n as well so I'd get the idea if it could've been a server side problem or if some lousy audio or video parm was invocated ;)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Wow, quite an interpretive piece! :lol:

I empathize with the tinnitus, I have it fairly mildly so am lucky, it's no fun that's for sure!

Played fine here with MPV..
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

The ogg played just fine. This was an interesting listen. Quite jarring, as others have observed, but creative and with enough variation to keep it interesting.

It reminds me of a 20 min ambient guitar duet I once recorded as a teenager, which mostly consisted of feedback with heavy distortion and reverb on my old Crate amp. Good times! One thing I learned on that session was that electric drills make a cool sound when you hold them close to a guitar pickup. Probably any electric motor would work. Try it sometime!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

This wouldn't have been out of place in a dream section of a Lynch movie: very atmospheric and unsettling, nice work!
alexson
Established Member

Post by alexson »

Lovely dance format tone.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I tried the youtube link and that one works fine here.
This is my face after listening :shock:

Its beyond weird to me, but interesting. :)