Esipova

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Esipova

Post by Rainmak3r »

Hi all,

I just uploaded a short atmospheric track:

https://soundcloud.com/lminiero/esipova

It's a very simple piece, that came out from an improvisation I did with my guitar, and then I slowly enriched it with more sounds. As I wrote in response to a video @psyocean shared, I started thinking about the trip I made to Saint Petersburg more than 10 years ago (almost 15, now that I think about it!), and my visit to the Tikhvin Cemetery there. If you don't know about it, it's a gorgeous cemetery where several important Russian figures are buried, including Tchaikivsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Dostojevski and many more. When there, though, one of the first things I saw was a truly beautiful statue, depicting a sad woman sitting on a grave: this video shows where the statue is, and displays it for quite some time (it's at about 25s). I fell in love with it instantly, and took note of the name of the person buried there, which was Anna Esipova. At the time I didn't know, but googling around it turned out she was a quite famous pianist in the late 19th century, respected by the Greatest as well.

All those memories contributed to shaping the piece as I eventually did. The guitar arpeggio became something the piano would join, and eventually take over. I liked the idea of using dulcimer and celesta as a way to "echo" the arpeggio in the middle, to make it sound a bit more "Russian". All the parts were played, rather than scored: I used Salamander to play the piano, Virtual Playing Orchestra for the celesta, and a free Spitfire Labs VST for the hammered dulcimer. To paint the picture of a visit back to her grave, I decided to also add some ambient sounds, which is a recording I found on FreeSound.org of another cemetery. It's a very simple piece that took me maybe only a couple of days, but apart from some MIDI timing issues I do like how it came out.

Hope you'll enjoy it!
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Esipova

Post by Basslint »

Can't believe it's Salamander piano! :D and thank you for sharing your beautiful story. I think the piece describes it perfectly!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Nice demo! Very well composed, arranged and recorded!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

A lovely restful piece, and great tribute.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Basslint wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:22 am Can't believe it's Salamander piano! :D and thank you for sharing your beautiful story. I think the piece describes it perfectly!
Can't believe it because it sounds too good or too bad? :mrgreen: It's the SFZ I usually go to, and as a non-piano-player I found it sounds good enough! :lol:
Thanks for listening, I'm glad you liked the piece!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

GMaq wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:44 pm Hi,

Nice demo! Very well composed, arranged and recorded!
Thanks for the kind words!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

folderol wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:11 am A lovely restful piece, and great tribute.
Thanks, I really appreciate this!
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Thank You.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Kott wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:38 amThank You.
Thank you for listening!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Rainmak3r wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:26 am Can't believe it because it sounds too good or too bad? :mrgreen: It's the SFZ I usually go to, and as a non-piano-player I found it sounds good enough! :lol:
Thanks for listening, I'm glad you liked the piece!
Because it sounds very good, of course :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Really nice choice of instrumentation. The 12-string guitar pops out well. Most of all though, I like the chord choices. I wish I knew enough music theory to be able to name them and try them out myself :D

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Tenaba wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:34 pm Really nice choice of instrumentation. The 12-string guitar pops out well. Most of all though, I like the chord choices. I wish I knew enough music theory to be able to name them and try them out myself :D
I have to admit I don't know enough theory or which chords I played either :mrgreen:
It all came from improvisation, around the open E string. I wrote down a tablature for the arpeggio with Lilypond:

I'll have to study myself to understand which chords I played :lol:
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

This is lovely! I listened several times and enjoyed it greatly. As you said, there are some minor timing issues, although I thought it was more on the guitar side than the midi (the guitar seems to come in a few ms too late, but the midi instruments seems always to come in roght when I expect them).

You have convinced me to finally try Salamander. I'm working on a project with a lot of piano right now, and I'm sick of Ardour's midi synth piano.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

milo wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:05 am This is lovely! I listened several times and enjoyed it greatly. As you said, there are some minor timing issues, although I thought it was more on the guitar side than the midi (the guitar seems to come in a few ms too late, but the midi instruments seems always to come in roght when I expect them).

You have convinced me to finally try Salamander. I'm working on a project with a lot of piano right now, and I'm sick of Ardour's midi synth piano.
Thanks for listening, and glad you liked it! I actually recorded all guitars first, and then played the MIDI parts: I guess that, since I followed the metronome for both, I may have been sloppier with the guitar. Next time I should forget about the metronome altogether (especially in a simpler track like this) and let instruments match each other.