Field Recordings - new music

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

caprenter
Established Member

Field Recordings - new music

Post by caprenter »

Hello

I've just released some more music on Bandcamp called Field Recordings.

This is very different from anything I've released before, so if you didn't like the old stuff, you might like this (and visa versa)!

I've tagged it as 'ambient', but it's simply captured sound (or field recordings) set to some music. It's a well trodden path, so don't expect anything earth shattering.

The interesting things (IMHO) tho are:
Locus Sonus - a sound map from around the world. I've used that for two tracks: Chittaranjan using a source based in Kolkata, India, and Chichibu from a source in Japan.

I've also found myself simply listening to streams from this map throughout the day (without the inconvenience of someone playing music over them- ha!). I think it's a wonderful thing!

The other tracks are recorded locally near where I live if you want to google them! (The idea came about around the same time as I was recording Walk and thinking about how to capture those moments in time.)

From a production point of view, I've played with ramped tempo changes in Ardour on Crag Well and Chichibu - a first for me, and good fun. Midi programming worked great, and it was interesting to try to play along to record some live audio and midi as well.

Also had my first outing using @Paul Battersby 's Virtual Playing Orchestra and @Michael Willis 's template for Ardour, for Beckfoot Bridge which is a pretty amazing thing alround. (Thanks Paul. Thanks, yet again, Michael)
NB I use Ardour 6, and this github issue helped me.

Must mention these tracks/posts which were released as I was working on these: Water Colour Sky by @jeanette_c and Soledad for Guitar and VCV Rack by @davephillips that nearly made me jack it all in and give up completely for setting the bar too high!

Anyway, I hope some people enjoy them. I'd love to get any constructive feedback that people can spare.

Credits, and software used and so on are listed on the Bandcamp pages. The tracks are Creative Commons licensed, and free to download, etc.

Thanks.
Last edited by caprenter on Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Field Recordings - new music

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Haven't had quiet time to listen to all yet, but so far so good! Great center and chill music indeed, mission accomplished! I love the tonal watercolors and the occasional dash of dissonance thrown in there. Great work and a great counterpoint to the protest music of our current era!
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Very interesting work. Somehow reminds me of a Japanese garden - maybe partly due to the sound of flowing water you use in most of these :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, water does seem to feature a lot. For the local recordings it helps to be near water to drown out sounds of traffic. Amazing how invasive background traffic can be. My local landscape is hills and valleys and this seems to mean you hear it everywhere.

The Chichibu recording can sound like waves to me, but is really a strong wind among the trees of the forest. There may be a bit of rain in there as well!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I rather enjoyed this. Listened a couple of times through.
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

I'm glad you enjoyed it @milo

If anyone else liked it, I added another track Llandudno to the album last week. Warning, lots of water in this one as well.

In the UK we have these public holidays that we call Bank Holidays and it's always a bit of a joke that the weather either side will be beautiful, warm, and sunny (while everyone is working), but will be torrential rain over the Bank Holiday weekend. Traditional Bank Holiday activities include home improvements, gardening, and visiting the seaside.

So I'm quite pleased that I've managed to get this recording of torrential rain, at the seaside on a Bank Holiday Monday - it's not always that way, but happy to add to the myth!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Very inspiring and relaxing! Thanks a lot for sharing!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Beautiful music! Clearness! Perfectly in this style.
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

Dipping my toe into the world of You Tube and video making today.

The result is a video to accompany the track Chichibu from this album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcd8LwAkt98

Made by capturing the shadows on the living room wall from the plants outside with my phone, and then edited in Flowblade - with the help of some really useful You Tube tutorials by Tux Designer: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Kghy35YYn9

Ok, so it's not exactly (insert blockbuster movie title here) - but I'm fairly pleased with it, and Flowblade was fairly easy to get to grips with.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

The video makes a nice minimalist accompaniment to the music. How many people in today's world have the attention span for this kind of media?