Banjo-basse Dub

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tongo
Established Member

Banjo-basse Dub

Post by tongo »

A long time ago I made a banjo-bass with an electric bass neck and a big drum tom to be able to play acoustically with my friends.
Recently my kids have been making music, drums and guitar and I had to play with them a bit so I did it again, but better.
I used a short scale electric bass neck and a big bass drum that I made from oak and fitted with a goat skin and screw tensioners.
I mounted a piezo pickup inside the barrel under the bridge to be able to plug it in electracoustic .

I recorded this dub track with:
https://soundcloud.com/olive-evilo-8994 ... -basse-dub

With the bass banjo I made the recurring melodic theme of the song, it is the dry sound recorded with an sm57, and the bass line that was recorded with the piezo pickup, in my case the pickup lends itself much better to bass than treble.

Then for the rest it's like the other times.

Muse for the midi sequence and bass banjo audio tracks.
qtractor to mix all tracks
carla for all pluggins
Ray session to handle it all
Drumkv1 for drums
red zeppelin for drums too
helm for the rhythm synth
Noise maker for the lead synth
zebralette for a synth in the background
wysynth for another background synth and for a kind of secondary bass
tal dub, tal filter 2, zam gate, calf vintage delay, dragon fly reverb and more.
All the dub mix live with a bcr 2000 and an evolution u controll, recorded directly with Rec jack.
And audacity to fade in at the start only.

I forgot: it all runs under librazik!

It sounds good to me, but as you can never know if it works in other people too, don't hesitate to let me know.

See you soon .
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Banjo-basse Dub

Post by Basslint »

This banjo-bass has an oud sound to it, which fits very well with dub I think :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
tongo
Established Member

Post by tongo »

Hi, you're right, I just listened to oud and it sounds a lot like my banjo-bass.

Thanks for your coment !
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Just getting caught up. This is an interesting DIY instrument. Thanks for sharing this. Makes me wish I could drive over and play that thing for a few minutes. Do you tune it in 5ths?
tongo
Established Member

Post by tongo »

Hello, I've been wanting to make this instrument for a long time, as it's a bass neck I kept the bass pitch on which I took the neck, the strings are bronze acoustic bass strings and the tuning I use is e a d g as on a normal 4 string.