Dreams

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

spamatica
Established Member

Re: Dreams

Post by spamatica »

Rainmak3r wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am No, no compressors there: I really didn't process drums at all here, just the louder reverb. I didn't apply volume automation either, so I guess it could have been some normalization done by Ardour?
The process of mastering usually includes normalization but also a multiband compressor and limiter, to "glue it together". Especially in metal I find it is a big part of the mixing process. You can push the mix harder and make it sound more heavy (and angry) with a mastering step.

But it is of course partially a taste issue and what "sound" you are aiming for. Can't say I have listened to any of the bands you mentioned.
I know I have a tendency to over-compress in my pursuit of getting as much energy as possible... I like energy :)
Rainmak3r wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am I wonder if guitars sounding thin may be a phasing effect? Do you get that when listening via headphones as well, rather than speakers? Guitars seemed a bit weaker when playing the song through my phone, for instance, while they're mostly fine via the laptop speakers, and good in headphones.
I listened on headphones now and it sounds similar. I think it must be just my taste :) Basically I prefer the guitars and drums mixed in a rather modern fashion. Guitars loud and detuned and the drums a little lower.
MusE DAW
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

spamatica wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:07 pm That is good to hear! I should try a few... though I have tried the VPO once or twice with meh results...
The strenght of VPO is in its configurability, e.g., in how you can tweak attack times to your liking. That way results can get better, as I think they sound reasonably well in my two symphonic poems for instance.
spamatica wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:07 pm And I really should correct the way I remarked on your song. Me not getting a good result could entirely be up to my inability to play with strings. I sounded a little bit like, since you used PRO-quality strings, magic comes out, but of course it takes skill too!
Ah no worries, I didn't read it like that :mrgreen: And you wouldn't be far from the truth anyway: those VSTs *are* so good that they mostly play themselves. Most of the times, the real challenge is finding the sound you like, rather than how you use it, and those sounds made it quite easy to get something nice without that much of an effort.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

spamatica wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:27 pm
Rainmak3r wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am No, no compressors there: I really didn't process drums at all here, just the louder reverb. I didn't apply volume automation either, so I guess it could have been some normalization done by Ardour?
The process of mastering usually includes normalization but also a multiband compressor and limiter, to "glue it together". Especially in metal I find it is a big part of the mixing process. You can push the mix harder and make it sound more heavy (and angry) with a mastering step.

But it is of course partially a taste issue and what "sound" you are aiming for. Can't say I have listened to any of the bands you mentioned.
I know I have a tendency to over-compress in my pursuit of getting as much energy as possible... I like energy :)
I never tried working on the master itself, only on the individual tracks. It may be worth spending some time on that too, if it makes everything more dynamic and energetic.
spamatica wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:27 pm
Rainmak3r wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am I wonder if guitars sounding thin may be a phasing effect? Do you get that when listening via headphones as well, rather than speakers? Guitars seemed a bit weaker when playing the song through my phone, for instance, while they're mostly fine via the laptop speakers, and good in headphones.
I listened on headphones now and it sounds similar. I think it must be just my taste :) Basically I prefer the guitars and drums mixed in a rather modern fashion. Guitars loud and detuned and the drums a little lower.
I must admit I'm not a fan of how modern metal sounds: most of the times they sound really heavy but also, to me, quite flat and way too homogeneous, if not muddy and very hard to control. It's probably because I grew up listening to classic metal from the 80s and 90s, when guitars could be heavy but alo expressive, so that's my reference: make it too modern, and it reminds me of nu metal, which I hate :lol: It's very likely also why I struggled so much to get a tone I kinda liked for "Frozen Ground" and "Fragments", I guess, since any search I'd make would lead me to videos like this, where people seem really happy with a tone that really doesn't say anything to me. The pain of being the only metal guy in the world who doesn't like Djent in a Djent-like world :mrgreen:
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

You have a nice singing voice. Like any instrument, you have to learn how to play it and practice it, but you definitely have the raw materials to be a singer. Keep at it!

One of the frustrations of being a music hobbyist is the limitations of your own performing talent. If you are a soloist then you have to do everything that the song needs by yourself. Including vocals, drums, and whatever else you may be less talented at. But it is really rewarding to learn these other skills well enough to satisfy the song's needs.

And even good singers sometimes don't like the sound of their own voice. You just have to get over that.

That's a beautiful hollowbody guitar!
PieterPenninckx
Established Member

Post by PieterPenninckx »

It seems to be a trend that Linuxmusicians who are unsure about their voice are singing anyway. I think that's a good thing. (And I hope it will give me courage to try it once myself.) Disclaimers are not needed, it's something I should encourage.

The song is very nice and atmospheric, I think I'll listen to it some more when I'm in the mood for something in that genre.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

milo wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:17 pm You have a nice singing voice. Like any instrument, you have to learn how to play it and practice it, but you definitely have the raw materials to be a singer. Keep at it!

One of the frustrations of being a music hobbyist is the limitations of your own performing talent. If you are a soloist then you have to do everything that the song needs by yourself. Including vocals, drums, and whatever else you may be less talented at. But it is really rewarding to learn these other skills well enough to satisfy the song's needs.

And even good singers sometimes don't like the sound of their own voice. You just have to get over that.
Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, often the fact we have to do "everything" can be a frustrating challenge, but sometimes also an opportunity to push the envelope and leave our comfort zone which we wouldn't otherwise do! I'm not sure I'll try singing again, but it an interesting experience for sure that I didn't think I'd ever do.
milo wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:17 pm That's a beautiful hollowbody guitar!
Glad you like it! It's basically a replica of the Gibson ES-345, but much (MUCH!) cheaper... I have to admit I bought it mainly because of how cool it looked in Back to the Future :mrgreen:
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

PieterPenninckx wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:25 pm It seems to be a trend that Linuxmusicians who are unsure about their voice are singing anyway. I think that's a good thing. (And I hope it will give me courage to try it once myself.) Disclaimers are not needed, it's something I should encourage.

The song is very nice and atmospheric, I think I'll listen to it some more when I'm in the mood for something in that genre.
Thanks, glad you liked it! And now I'm looking forward to hear what your singing voice looks like :D
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Music - top of the world of sounds... :idea:

Perfectly, bravo!

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

psyocean wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:08 am Music - top of the world of sounds... :idea:

Perfectly, bravo!
Thanks, way too kind as usual!