Tenaba - Firelight (feat. Eleanor Forte)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tenaba
Established Member

Tenaba - Firelight (feat. Eleanor Forte)

Post by Tenaba »

Hello everyone, I've released quite a bit lately, but here's the last work I've been chipping away at.

It's called Firelight, and it's got the same vocalist as "Rest and Wait".

Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU0fnmhQZvg
Bandcamp link: https://tenaba.bandcamp.com/album/firelight

Software Used
This work uses the Lite version of Synthesizer V
Ardour
Calf LV2 Plugins
GxChorus (For the solo/interlude)

This is the first song I've ever written that uses fingerpicking, it was a huge challenge learning such a simple song. I had to learn how to keep some strings muted, or inversely, how to stop accidentally muting strings that shouldn't be muted. Timing issues had to be corrected basically everywhere. But hopefully it sounds good now. And hopefully my skills improved because of that. The bandcamp page also has an instrumental version if you want to hear my embarrassing guitar playing solo'd.

Also a side note, if you heard my previous song "ragequit" I posted two days ago, this is the song that I ragequit on lol.

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

oscillator
Established Member

Re: Tenaba - Firelight (feat. Eleanor Forte)

Post by oscillator »

That's a beautiful track! I love the upward movement at about 0:40. The solo is really enjoyable too!

Another great collab with Eleanor Forte! :)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

It is a very beautiful song. And whatever you had to do to get it there: it worked and was worth it. Besides lovely playing and a sweet composition, you do have a way with Eleanor. I listened to the other demo you linked to. The music was sound, but you really got more out of Eleanore. Especially in this spartan setting. Of course, you sometimes notice, but not too much.
I also love your versatility!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

oscillator wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:57 pm That's a beautiful track! I love the upward movement at about 0:40. The solo is really enjoyable too!

Another great collab with Eleanor Forte! :)
Thanks for your continued feedback! Glad the you liked the solo too.
jeanette_c wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 am It is a very beautiful song. And whatever you had to do to get it there: it worked and was worth it. Besides lovely playing and a sweet composition, you do have a way with Eleanor. I listened to the other demo you linked to. The music was sound, but you really got more out of Eleanore. Especially in this spartan setting. Of course, you sometimes notice, but not too much.
I also love your versatility!
Thanks! Good to hear with regards to the vocals; I feel my workflow in SynthV was made much faster after my first song using it. This one is a bit more ambitious with regards to a wider vocal range, and hopefully I'll be able to push the boundary a little more later. Thanks for the comments on my playing and composition too!

folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Lovely song, and nice smooth playing.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

That's prety good for your first time recording fingerstyle guitar. I love that finger-plucked sound.

I notice there is quite a long section where the vocal and guitar melodies play in unison. Than can be a good effect for a few bars, but methinks you overdid it here. (At least for my taste, but whr fies that matter?)

Overall I think this song has a lovely sound and feel to it.
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

milo wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:32 pm That's prety good for your first time recording fingerstyle guitar. I love that finger-plucked sound.

I notice there is quite a long section where the vocal and guitar melodies play in unison. Than can be a good effect for a few bars, but methinks you overdid it here. (At least for my taste, but whr fies that matter?)

Overall I think this song has a lovely sound and feel to it.
Awesome, I was expecting my fingerstyle to sound a lot worse, but it seems no-one as of yet has complained. And yeah, there's a ton of mirroring on the guitar line. I'll keep that in mind if I do more fingerstyle stuff in the future. I think I kept 0:57 mirrored (it was originally separate from the vocals) just because I spent so much time learning it, that I didn't want to let it go to waste. :lol:

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Wow can't believe you are not used to fingerpicking! By the way this bot is getting too many compliments. Haven't all of you watched S1M0N3 and Her? :lol:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Yeah, I had to spend time catching up with some really basic timing and consistency issues. It was pretty fun to play something different than what I usually do though. :D

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

This is really cool! I have to admit to having no idea what SynthV was, so I enjoyed AND learned something new.. :D
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

Yeah - this is really good. I think the guitar is great - well done.

I had the same passing thought as @milo about the vocal mirroring the guitar part. All that happened was that I 'noticed it' at one point while listening, when maybe (maybe not!) it shouldn't come to your attention - but nothing I would really change.

As everyone else is saying, the guitar work is really good, and sounds great.

I honestly didn't realise that Eleanor was a synth voice bank either. I'm amazed at how good that sounds. Like @GMaq, it's nice to learn something new and to have something to investigate.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

I was pretty sure I had commented, as I remember listening to the song at the time, but looks like I'm getting old and forgot to do that... beautiful chord progressions and beautiful voice! And kudos on fingerpicking, I don't think I'll ever manage to do that in a believable way :mrgreen:
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

GMaq wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:53 am Hi,

This is really cool! I have to admit to having no idea what SynthV was, so I enjoyed AND learned something new.. :D
caprenter wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 pm Yeah - this is really good. I think the guitar is great - well done.

I had the same passing thought as @milo about the vocal mirroring the guitar part. All that happened was that I 'noticed it' at one point while listening, when maybe (maybe not!) it shouldn't come to your attention - but nothing I would really change.

As everyone else is saying, the guitar work is really good, and sounds great.

I honestly didn't realise that Eleanor was a synth voice bank either. I'm amazed at how good that sounds. Like @GMaq, it's nice to learn something new and to have something to investigate.
Glad you both enjoyed it! Vocal synths certainly are interesting, SynthV included. I was interested in a few other voice synthesis programs, but as far as I know, SynthV is the only one with native Linux support.
Rainmak3r wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:57 am I was pretty sure I had commented, as I remember listening to the song at the time, but looks like I'm getting old and forgot to do that... beautiful chord progressions and beautiful voice! And kudos on fingerpicking, I don't think I'll ever manage to do that in a believable way :mrgreen:
Thanks! And yeah, it's pretty funny how different the technique is for stuff like this, compared to metal.

alexson
Established Member

Post by alexson »

It's Marvelous track.