Tenaba - ragequit

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tenaba
Established Member

Tenaba - ragequit

Post by Tenaba »

Here's a very quickly written song that I wrote. Context is, I was working on one of the couple songs in my backlog, had troubles with timing and string noise, and then quit to work on this new song which I sloppily wrote in about 2 hours. As such, it's aptly titled "ragequit". Lots of cheesy metal tropes in this one.

Here it is on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEWihXPt71Q
It's on bandcamp too: https://tenaba.bandcamp.com/track/ragequit

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: Tenaba - ragequit

Post by Rainmak3r »

A bit too "Nu Metal" for my taste (reminds me of bands like Korn, Deftones and Coal Chamber) but cool :mrgreen:
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

I love this!

Super tight playing as usual!

I'd really like to do a version of this song with (my) vocals and some additional electronics! :)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Powerful sound, but right now it feels is lacking something.
I would love to hear an @oscillator take on it. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Rainmak3r wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:19 am A bit too "Nu Metal" for my taste (reminds me of bands like Korn, Deftones and Coal Chamber) but cool :mrgreen:
Thanks for listening! And yeah, I guess it does have a bit of a Nu Metal vibe to it, although I literally just threw a bunch of random riffs together lol.
oscillator wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:27 pm I love this!

Super tight playing as usual!

I'd really like to do a version of this song with (my) vocals and some additional electronics! :)
LAM wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:10 pm Powerful sound, but right now it feels is lacking something.
Thanks. And yeah @oscillator if you'd like to cover this song, feel free!

pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Always nice to hear some metal. You did it all with digital tools? Even the drums? I suppose so. Cool.

Indeed it has a "nu metal" vibe, but you did it all in two hours right? So, It's more like an exercise or you think about it as a complete song?
I make music and you can listen here: https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

pdechery wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:03 pm Always nice to hear some metal. You did it all with digital tools? Even the drums? I suppose so. Cool.

Indeed it has a "nu metal" vibe, but you did it all in two hours right? So, It's more like an exercise or you think about it as a complete song?
Yep, all digital. Drums were done with DrumGizmo with a few samples I pasted from SM Mega Reaper Kit, The Open Source Drumkit, and TheMetalKickDrum. As for the song, yeah, it took two hours from start to finish; biggest timesaver was using an Ardour template on percussion, so I don't have to waste time manually set of busses and panning the drums. Part of the time was wasted on trying to shove a solo into the song and then failing.

I don't think of it as a complete song; I'd say maybe a bit of an exercise as you mentioned, but most of it was just venting my frustration on not being able to track a different song, which I might release very soon.

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Rainmak3r wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:19 am A bit too "Nu Metal" for my taste (reminds me of bands like Korn, Deftones and Coal Chamber) but cool :mrgreen:
And here is our trve metal guy :lol: (just pulling your leg :D)

It actually doesn't sound too far from some stuff Pantera did, with the chugging and the bluesy riff!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Basslint wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:12 pm And here is our trve metal guy :lol: (just pulling your leg :D)
Guilty as charged :lol:
Tenaba wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:45 pm Yep, all digital. [..]
Is the bass a digital instrument too? It sounds really cool and fat.
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Rainmak3r wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:50 pm
Basslint wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:12 pm And here is our trve metal guy :lol: (just pulling your leg :D)
Guilty as charged :lol:
Tenaba wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:45 pm Yep, all digital. [..]
Is the bass a digital instrument too? It sounds really cool and fat.
Sorry, by all digital, I just meant no amps, tracked directly into DI, etc. Glad you liked the bass; I tried parallel compression on bass for the first time, as it's being used quite a lot in modern metal recordings. Basically splitting the signal into one track containing all the lows, and another containing everything else. The lows track is super-compressed, and the mids/highs track is distorted.

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Tenaba wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:08 pm Sorry, by all digital, I just meant no amps, tracked directly into DI, etc. Glad you liked the bass; I tried parallel compression on bass for the first time, as it's being used quite a lot in modern metal recordings. Basically splitting the signal into one track containing all the lows, and another containing everything else. The lows track is super-compressed, and the mids/highs track is distorted.
Makes sense! It's what I've been trying to do as well with bass, since a friend of mine who's a sound engineer gave me this tip: he does this by copying the bass to three separate tracks/busses and dealing them separately, pretty much as you said (mids distorted to make them sound better on devices with poor basses). That said, my bass never sounded nowhere nearly as good as yours... It may be because I record the bass as-is with my FocusRite, while I should at the very least make it go through some amp/cab simulation maybe.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Rainmak3r wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:15 pm Makes sense! It's what I've been trying to do as well with bass, since a friend of mine who's a sound engineer gave me this tip: he does this by copying the bass to three separate tracks/busses and dealing them separately, pretty much as you said (mids distorted to make them sound better on devices with poor basses). That said, my bass never sounded nowhere nearly as good as yours... It may be because I record the bass as-is with my FocusRite, while I should at the very least make it go through some amp/cab simulation maybe.
I'd like to read an article on that, if any of you can find it :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Basslint wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:36 pm
Rainmak3r wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:15 pm Makes sense! It's what I've been trying to do as well with bass, since a friend of mine who's a sound engineer gave me this tip: he does this by copying the bass to three separate tracks/busses and dealing them separately, pretty much as you said (mids distorted to make them sound better on devices with poor basses). That said, my bass never sounded nowhere nearly as good as yours... It may be because I record the bass as-is with my FocusRite, while I should at the very least make it go through some amp/cab simulation maybe.
I'd like to read an article on that, if any of you can find it :D
I don't have any article, as these are just things I chat with him about, but one of the videos he shared as an example was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETU7Gav70no

In this case they talk about a proprietary plugin, but it's not that important, as the main aspect that's important is how the bass line is copied and becomes three separate tracks: one is the track as is, one focuses on the low end, and one on the mids, and they're taken care differently. The magic is in *what* is done on each, of course, and there I'm still learning, but it's pretty much the same approach Tenaba used here (with just two tracks instead of three maybe?)
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Same, I also record directly into my focusrite scarlett. On my previous recordings posted here though, I haven't used any amp/cab simulation for bass.
Rainmak3r wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:54 pm I don't have any article, as these are just things I chat with him about, but one of the videos he shared as an example was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETU7Gav70no

In this case they talk about a proprietary plugin, but it's not that important, as the main aspect that's important is how the bass line is copied and becomes three separate tracks: one is the track as is, one focuses on the low end, and one on the mids, and they're taken care differently. The magic is in *what* is done on each, of course, and there I'm still learning, but it's pretty much the same approach Tenaba used here (with just two tracks instead of three maybe?)
Yeah, that's also parallel processing. For this track however, the lows are simply compressed and EQ'd, nothing else happens on that track. I ran the second through guitarix. I haven't heard of using 3 tracks, but that's pretty cool!

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

LAM wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:10 pm Powerful sound, but right now it feels is lacking something.
Here it is! viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23005

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik