Willie Mack - "Have You Ever Loved a Woman"

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Willie Mack - "Have You Ever Loved a Woman"

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Offline pursuits have kept me away from the forum here for a while both as a listener and a contributor so pardon the appearance out of nowhere with a new song. Despite the restrictions of the pandemic I’ve been able to work on a new collaborative project and although it isn’t done yet I thought I’d post one of the songs in progress ‘just cuz’. This is our arrangement of the Freddie King blues classic “Have You Ever Loved A Woman” and it features myself on drums, bass, guitars and vocals and the very talented Dave Williams on the Hammond organ and Piano.

http://bandshed.net/music/WILLIE_MACK/H ... -MIX-b.mp3

This will be a 10 song Audio and Video album covering everything from straight up blues to roots and funky soul-flavoured tunes (both originals and cover arrangements) and I’m very excited about some of the other collaborators that I’ll be posting in the future when the project is completed.
folderol
Established Member

Re: Willie Mack - "Have You Ever Loved a Woman"

Post by folderol »

1st class
... as usual :lol:
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Very impressive playing and mixing! Interesting choice in panning the bass hard-left and guitar hard-right as well. But wow, this really is tight overall, seems like ti took a lot of work. Great stuff!

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

First class indeed! This track lives! It has a session vibe. Great mixing, too.
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Have mercy... :!:
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Impressive as usual!
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Wow is all I can say.

Is this blues or R&B ?
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Really great work, both playing and mixing. This is electric blues all the way.
I was a bit tentative about the bass panning after the previous comment but it's not as distracting as I imagined it could be and places the listener up close to the stage for a very immediate sense of being there. That said, I would prefer a bee's dick of reverb or delay on the vocal as it sounds too close compared with the space of the other instruments.
I love it though and had to listen to a couple of Derek & The Dominos versions afterwards (Live at the Fillmore and Layla) and it sits well beside them. :wink: 8)
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

@GMaq is always trying to make the rest of us sound like amateurs, while offering everyone the means to make professional music with AVLinux. Now, that's a nice paradox :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

sunrat wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:51 pm Really great work, both playing and mixing. This is electric blues all the way.
I was a bit tentative about the bass panning after the previous comment but it's not as distracting as I imagined it could be and places the listener up close to the stage for a very immediate sense of being there. That said, I would prefer a bee's dick of reverb or delay on the vocal as it sounds too close compared with the space of the other instruments.
I love it though and had to listen to a couple of Derek & The Dominos versions afterwards (Live at the Fillmore and Layla) and it sits well beside them. :wink: 8)
Thanks sunrat (and all others) for the undeserved but very encouraging comments!

Well nobody is going to touch the one and only Freddie King at this song and it's only because of the Clapton/Allman version you mentioned that I was emboldened enough to take a swing at it.. I have mixed feelings about the version on Layla as a song by itself but the agony in Clapton's voice due to the Patti Harrison back story is a rare case of a transcendent performance because the artist was truly living the song and channeling it authentically.. I won't pretend to be anywhere near an order of magnitude like that but your comment about it 'sitting well' beside it really made my week, thanks so much!