Conversations in Stereo

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

Conversations in Stereo

Post by milo »

I started a new podcast this weekend about home recording as a hobby. We talked about our experiences and motivations over the years, and about our tools. I gave a shout out to Free software as I described my Linux studio.

https://sanderson.band/podcast/

Our discussion was pretty similar to many of the topics we hit on this forum, and I thought a few of you might enjoy it.
Tenaba
Established Member

Re: Conversations in Stereo

Post by Tenaba »

Very interesting podcast.

Think this is the first time I've heard your non-singing voices. It's also cool to hear about you both got started. I think it's much easier to look at where an artist is in the present time, and ignore how long they had to work and practice to get to where they are. This gave a nice background to the music I've heard you write.

As for your computer upgrading part, SSDs are really nice, and a lot cheaper now than they used to be. If your computer has space for a larger fan, you can reduce fan noise by upping the size and replacing it with a fan with lower RPM.

I cracked up a bit hearing you rehearse the title at the end to :lol:

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Hey, thanks for the listen, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's fun to reflect on how far we've come from our early days of playing with cassette decks.

Yeah, I'm close to pulling the trigger on that SSD, and thanks for the tip about fan noise.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Interesting conversation! One fun part was the question around "if something went viral, would you quit your day job?" Don't we all wish we had this problem! :mrgreen:
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I liked Tom's answer to that question. It is a trade-off, a balance between what you're willing to sacrifice and what you're wanting to get. My growing suspicion is that large-scale commercial success in the music industry is a mess of pottage compared to the good things I would probably have to leave behind to get it. Again, there's a lingering tincture of sour grapes in that statement, but finally having the tech and skills to make the music that I really want to make, and to be able to do it on my spare time in my own home, is an outcome I never expected when I was young. I'm actually really pleased with how this is turning out.

Tom has a lot of good one-liners in this podcast. One of my favorites is, "Goal-directed behavior was not my thing." :lol:
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

A weird thing is that I thought you should do a podcast the other day, before ever seeing this post :lol: I guess because I had read your blog in the past and like your liner notes. So you finally delivered :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I was hoping this podcast would interest a few people, but I had no idea there was any pre-existing demand! That makes my day. :)
Fmajor7add9
Established Member

Post by Fmajor7add9 »

enjoyed it as disk spring clean check sort soundtrack

panning between both of you nice to get a sense of space, mono doesn't collaps the levels

music clips interspersed made it so much more engaging, I'd probably never clicked play on all of it if it was only linked in show notes

the honesty and trust between you inspires me

is 'my mission' mormon lingo perhaps...? or another lords good work?

same old rocknroll story all over the world, for those who got ignited for good

I'm feeling Tom's perspective on daydreaming vague goals

and so sorry for you and your wifes loss of new life
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Yes, Tom and I both belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The mission experience is really huge in the lives of Church members.

I'm glad you enjoyed the episode. My worry was that it would be boring, but it sounds like there's enough there to keep at least some of you interested.

Tom is a really kind and gentle person. He is a pleasure to collaborate with, and I think after hearing him speak you can probably appreciate why.

And thank you for your sympathies. Losing a baby is hard, but music and faith really moved me through that experience. She would be about 18 months old now if she had lived, and I would love to see her toddling around my house. But I am confident that she is in a happy place, and that I will be with her again in heaven. And in the meantime I have a song to remember her by. :)

What happens to all of the kids who dreamed of rock n roll, but never made it, for one reason or another? I dunno, but this podcast episode is the story of two of us who held on to the fun side of it and have had a pretty good ride anyway.
modusjonens
Established Member

Post by modusjonens »

It is very nice to hear the warmth between you two in addition to the stories of writing / recording over the years.

The parts where you both talk about early experiences with cassette recording brought back some memories of my own. For plenty of years during high school and college I made "multi-tracked" guitar recordings with a dual-tape stereo. I'd put down a first good track (after many takes), and only then proceed to layer on takes since there was no way to back. Gives me an even deeper appreciation of my DAW/tools at this point!

Kudos to you both for maintaining material / recordings over time! I wish I'd had the forethought to keep copies of various recordings over the years I'd made with friends, but many I'm sure have been lost to time.

Thank you for posting and sharing!