Tenaba - Rest and Wait (feat. Eleanor Forte)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Tenaba
Established Member

Tenaba - Rest and Wait (feat. Eleanor Forte)

Post by Tenaba »

Hey everyone, I've been out for a while, but I finally pieced together a new track.

This one's called "Rest and Wait", and I tried a lot of new stuff making it.
It's here on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUZkdQ6vi1U
And also here on Bandcamp: https://tenaba.bandcamp.com/album/rest-and-wait

Additionally, the Bandcamp link has the instrumental and lyrics.

Here's the software I used:
SynthesizerV
Ardour
Geonkick
ZynFusion
Calf Plugins

I've made music here as "crownbird" or "Royal Gloom". I just switched names to an username that doubles as an artist name, and also something that doesn't lock me into sad music. You can still check out the older stuff on bandcamp.

Anyway, this was a really new experience for me, both from a songwriting and software point of view. Hopefully you enjoy it!

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp

oscillator
Established Member

Re: Tenaba - Rest and Wait (feat. Eleanor Forte)

Post by oscillator »

That is a really nice song! I like the arrangement a lot too, it is laid back, but there is still dynamics in the song!

The arpeggio a bit into the song was really good, but there were some notes that sounded "out of scale". Well, maybe it is just my ears.

That singing, impressive, I thought it was some autotune plugin that made it sound a bit synthetic! :)

It is rewarding to try and do new stuff, and you succeeded!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

oscillator wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:19 am That is a really nice song! I like the arrangement a lot too, it is laid back, but there is still dynamics in the song!

The arpeggio a bit into the song was really good, but there were some notes that sounded "out of scale". Well, maybe it is just my ears.

That singing, impressive, I thought it was some autotune plugin that made it sound a bit synthetic! :)

It is rewarding to try and do new stuff, and you succeeded!
Thanks for listening! Yeah, the arpeggio's pretty neat in that it has this legato effect which slurs the notes together. All the notes are in tune, but the legato kind of slides between notes, giving some of them a loose or barely out of tune feeling; it's not just your ears! I was shuffling through ZynFusion presets, and was sold on it as soon as I heard how slide for a chromatic interval sounded. (Preset is "Synth Hero Lead" for anyone interested)

And thanks, I was worried about the vocal tuning. Only "a bit synthetic" is much better than I had expected! :D

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

This is a beautiful song. I still get a slightly depressive vibe, but I enjoy that very much. The vocals are superbly balanced. The touch of synthetic flavour is really subtle. I like it very much when you can hear a singer's voice, very oldfashioned of me. :) Chapeau to Eleanor!
The arrangement is well balanced. Very open to give lots of room to the vocals. Even my limited experience has told me how difficult that is. :)
Thanks for sharing!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Very awesome sound and great vocals. Contemporary artists do use that kind of extreme pitch-correction. I am not a huge fan of it, it makes humans sound a bit like Vocaloid, but I see where it's coming from!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

@Tenaba did a great job with the vocals, I agree!

But look at the software list a bit more closely, @jeanette_c and @Basslint! :D

Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

jeanette_c wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:10 pm This is a beautiful song. I still get a slightly depressive vibe, but I enjoy that very much. The vocals are superbly balanced. The touch of synthetic flavour is really subtle. I like it very much when you can hear a singer's voice, very oldfashioned of me. :) Chapeau to Eleanor!
The arrangement is well balanced. Very open to give lots of room to the vocals. Even my limited experience has told me how difficult that is. :)
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks a bunch! Glad you liked the vocals and arrangement. I was quite surprised how naturally the tracks fit together; I really didn't apply too much tweaks for the mixing stage. Yeah, it's a little melancholy, but I wanted to keep that stuff on the more subtle side for this track.
Basslint wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:46 pm Very awesome sound and great vocals. Contemporary artists do use that kind of extreme pitch-correction. I am not a huge fan of it, it makes humans sound a bit like Vocaloid, but I see where it's coming from!
Thanks, I actually got into SynthV because of some Vocaloid artists!
oscillator wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:58 pm @Tenaba did a great job with the vocals, I agree!

But look at the software list a bit more closely, @jeanette_c and @Basslint! :D
Yep, good catch! Though the fact that some might need to look at the software to notice whats going on gives me a huge confidence boost in the vocal tuning! :lol: I did avoid explaining the vocals in the thread just to see if it was convincing enough.

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Tenaba wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:36 pm I did avoid explaining the vocals in the thread just to see if it was convincing enough.
I looked at other examples of Eleanor Forte on YouTube, and "your" singing is by far the best! Thumbs up!

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

I didn't even know SynthV. Strange, because I was quite interested in vocaloids. But then they're all VERY graphical and inaccessible. :) Extremely good job on your part then and great improvement on the vocaloid front. :)
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I did not know about SynthV as well...I think it sounds good and not much different than hyper-processed modern r&b/trap style vocals.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

oscillator wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:40 pm I looked at other examples of Eleanor Forte on YouTube, and "your" singing is by far the best! Thumbs up!
Thanks, that's great to hear! If you're interested in a better example of Eleanor, check out cilia's song, Silence. The tuning is honestly unreal (and her other videos with UTAUs or Vocaloids are of similar quality). It'll raise your expectations of any other vocasynth song though lol
jeanette_c wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:44 pm I didn't even know SynthV. Strange, because I was quite interested in vocaloids. But then they're all VERY graphical and inaccessible. :) Extremely good job on your part then and great improvement on the vocaloid front. :)
Basslint wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:55 am I did not know about SynthV as well...I think it sounds good and not much different than hyper-processed modern r&b/trap style vocals.
Yep, SynthV is also a vocasynth, but this one supports Linux natively (unlike Vocaloid or UTAU). Pretty excited for what the paid version of the voicebank will sound like when it comes out, and if it makes it sound less artificial.

Also as usual, I'm clueless when it comes to genres. Anyone know what genre this song is so I can give it a tag in Youtube/Bandcamp?

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Cool song! I get some trip hop vibe, as it reminded me a bit of Portishead.
Fun thing is I know an Italian singer who has a name almost exactly like the one in your track, and now I'm wondering if it's her or not :D
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Very much enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

This is pretty impressive. The technology to computer-generate a voice so convincingly just didn't exist when I was a kid, and now you can do it on your home computer! Amazing.

Back in my day we used to record our own vocals ... while walking barefoot in the snow, uphill both ways, carrying my little brother piggy-back. :lol:
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Too bad the ROyal Gloom stuff is :D gone on bandcamp, I really liked the heavily distorted guitars :D . Nevertheless great job!