"The Breeze Of The Isles", final. Electro-pop

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

matterisvoid
Established Member

"The Breeze Of The Isles", final. Electro-pop

Post by matterisvoid »

Finished my track! Was going to put it out under the name Matter Is Void as I have with my past music, but this is kind of a new sound for me. I switched the project name to Flow Of Intrigue.

https://soundcloud.com/mitch-deland/the ... f-intrigue

Hopefully it's a fun listen, I tried to incorporate a lot of video game inspired elements.

Software used: Qtractor, Qsynth, Synthv1, Audacity

Also, just wanted to say that I love this forum! Even before creating an account, I can recall finding my way here from Google to get advice for various issues with jackd or ALSA. It's great that this forum exists!
Basslint
Established Member

Re: "The Breeze Of The Isles", final. Electro-pop

Post by Basslint »

Very nice and cool! :D What effect did you use on the voice?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
matterisvoid
Established Member

Post by matterisvoid »

Basslint wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:28 am Very nice and cool! :D What effect did you use on the voice?
Thank you! I used a free plugin with audacity called Autotalent. I just love the robotic quality auto-tune adds.
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Goal reached: this is fun! Doubly so, because just a few minutes ago I listened to a short video introducing - possibly a clone of - the Pacman synth. It's the day of video games!
The snare is still rather sitting in the back, but it fits, gives the track a very round and smooth air, not so mujch in your face, even though most synths are really static and could jump out at you. It underlines the relaxed, funny air.
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
matterisvoid
Established Member

Post by matterisvoid »

jeanette_c wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:24 pm Goal reached: this is fun! Doubly so, because just a few minutes ago I listened to a short video introducing - possibly a clone of - the Pacman synth. It's the day of video games!
The snare is still rather sitting in the back, but it fits, gives the track a very round and smooth air, not so mujch in your face, even though most synths are really static and could jump out at you. It underlines the relaxed, funny air.
Thanks! Yeah I just feel like video games lend some great inspiration to music.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

matterisvoid wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:10 pm Thank you! I used a free plugin with audacity called Autotalent. I just love the robotic quality auto-tune adds.
Wow, I used autotalent in the past but never got results so good! What settings did you use?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
matterisvoid
Established Member

Post by matterisvoid »

Basslint wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:44 am
matterisvoid wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:10 pm Thank you! I used a free plugin with audacity called Autotalent. I just love the robotic quality auto-tune adds.
Wow, I used autotalent in the past but never got results so good! What settings did you use?
I tried to not mess too much with the settings I didn't entirely understand, like the formant warp for example. I essentially just added a 1 next to all the notes I wanted it to hit and put a negative -1 on the notes I didn't. It wasn't always perfect, I had to do multiple vocal takes and kinda piece them together. It's a pretty finicky plugin honestly, but it was also free so I couldn't complain too much haha.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I like the 60's style cover art. Not sure that it matches the chiptune style of the music, but they both have a chill vibe.
matterisvoid
Established Member

Post by matterisvoid »

milo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:10 pm I like the 60's style cover art. Not sure that it matches the chiptune style of the music, but they both have a chill vibe.
Good point, I originally wanted the art to be pixelated but I couldn't figure out a good way to make that work without it turning out ugly. My younger sister actually made the artwork, I just let her know it was a song about an island paradise and she came up with this in just a few hours. I was really impressed!
Last edited by matterisvoid on Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Tell her she's a good illustrator. I'm impressed!