Having fun with LMMS, quiz time ?

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

Re: Having fun with LMMS, quiz time ?

Post by Gps »

Just tried master track option on sound cloud.

Its not free and to get the final master you need to pay.

I have to admit it sounded better, at least the preview part.

It did also sound like something I should be able to do my self with better mixing.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Time for a small update.

I now have a 6 min instrumental version of fade to grey. :)

Struggling to get another part in, so I can make another part a bit shorter. (the part that is the original ending)

At 1.36 min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmF_jeokUX8

He also does this in a live version, at 1.14 min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4qfK667ziQ

It's driving me nuts, I can't even get close. :(
On the bright sight, I think I have the (strings) chord progression, for that piece, it's were they speak in french in the original.

Can anybody hear how many notes there are ?

I already tried 4 and 5 notes. Fife seems to much but with 4 it does not sound like Chris payne at all.

Is there a pause after the first note ?

Is it something like C then C an octave lower and then something like c,d,c,d,c,d ? Or is it something like cdedc ?

I am sure I got those notes wrong, but I am hoping somebody can help me, with that pattern. Point me in the right direction ?

I did find a vst for the string part, but although it sounds close to the fade to grey strings, I can't get it working right.
If I put it in my track it seems to swell not right, but I can't find in this vst a way to fix this.
Was hoping to just change the attack, but since there is no manual, I have no clue on what slider the attack is.
I also wonder if this vst is 100% finished.

https://plugins4free.com/plugin/2649/

It does seem to work in LMMS though, maybe I need to look for a manual of the original poly moog ? :)
The sliders and knobs don't have labels in LMMS, but I did find a picture.
https://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/u ... y_orig.png
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Last night before falling a sleep, I realised I have a midi controller.
My sense of rythym is pretty good, so I just need to play along, to find the number of notes.

Then in LMMS start moving them up and down, until I sound like Chris Payne. :)
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Too funny not to share.

Yes my sense of rythym is not too bad, but I still cant really play. :lol:

With my two finger system, LMMS claims, I constantly press the right hand key shorter then the left hand key.

The default quantisation of LMMS is too rough though had to set it to 1/32. (instead of 1/16)

Made some progress, I am getting speed wise closer to Chris, so hooking up my midi controller did some good.

The pattern I see in LMMS though makes my head hurt, and does not fit in 4 bars.

Maybe try again, and set Q to 1/64 or 1/192. 1/192 in lmms means (almost) no quantisation on the position of the note. :)

Or just by mouse try to fix it, by trying and trying again. :)
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

That moment is here again. Me asking myself, why I don't stop making music or more precise try to stop cover stuff.
It would safe me allot of frustration. :mrgreen:

Sonic visualizer does not help me as much as I would like, but it does explain why I was counting 1,2,3,4 though. (there might be some hope for me still)

It's some thing like 4 notes going down but not exactly , there are also more notes, and I can't make any sense of it.
Nothing I try in LMMS sounds right.

I also downloaded an MP3 of the video and slowed it down in VLC.

This shows one of my big problems, about not realy having a clue on how something I hear looks in the piano roll.
Tempo / spacing wise of the notes.

If only I had taken piano lessons when I was much younger, but back then music did not interest me this much.
I would back then have laughed if somebody would had said, that one day I would be studying music theory voluntary.
Yet here I am, understanding scales a bit and knowing how to make chords and mess with them.

Should I just email Chris Payne ? He uses protools, so could send me a midi file. Ask for more help here ?

How awesome would it be though, if I can get it right without outside help.

It seems to be 8 notes though, how hard can it be. :mrgreen: ( Jeremy Clarkson Top Gear)

Found that with VLC and then turn down playback speed three times and count.