"Ei Mané", metal track

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pdechery
Established Member

"Ei Mané", metal track

Post by pdechery »

Hi everyone, it's been a while.

New track here, this one's coming straight from the shelves. It stayed there for quite a long time. I believe I wrote it somewhere in the early 90's to play with a band I had back then.

But, since I've always loved the riff and had bought a guitar recently, I've decided to recreate it and see what happened.

This time, the guitar was the last thing to be recorded. I started with the drums, using Hydrogen. I believe it took a couple of days to have it all done and it was fun. The pattern is not simple, so it was challenging. I exported each instrument as audio to Ardour and did some EQ there. The bass was done with the default MIDI library that comes with it. I've chosen "Pick Bass", and I hope when you hear the song you find that appropriate as much as I did.

And, lastly, for the guitar, I used my brazilian-made "Finch" - a sort of copy of the Stratocaster - plugged in Guitarix. For those interested, I'd used the preset named "Running Wild", which is available in their site. It took some time to find the right tone, it ain't easy as it may seem to have the right tone that works in all parts of the song.

So, well, for those of you who are fond of some Hard Rock or Metal, I hope you like this one. Peace and be safe.

https://soundcloud.com/pierre-dechery/ei-mane
Last edited by pdechery on Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I make music and you can listen here: https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
Basslint
Established Member

Re: "Ei Mané", metal track

Post by Basslint »

Nice track! More than metal I would call this "power pop" or "grunge". Which are both very nice genres on their own.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Basslint wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:21 pm Nice track! More than metal I would call this "power pop" or "grunge". Which are both very nice genres on their own.
No, I think this is indeed metal, even though closer to late 70s/early 80s hard rock or very early heavy metal, especially in terms of sound. It reminds me a bit of Demon (Don't break the circle). Nice track, and to me definitely not power pop or grunge :lol:

I assume you toned down the Running Wild preset a lot, though? Guitars don't seem very distorted, which contributes to that 70/80s feel: I've used that preset often myself and it could have a very good punch (sometimes too much!).
Last edited by Rainmak3r on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

I like the song and the guitars. Indeed quite restrained, but all the more defined for it. I would love a version with better drums and bass. I can see why you wanted to rerecord this song! Some really nice guitar work!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Basslint wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:21 pm Nice track! More than metal I would call this "power pop" or "grunge". Which are both very nice genres on their own.
Hi there,

Thank you!

Well, I consider myself to be a "son" of the 90's generation. Soundgarden used to be my favorite band ever. In general, my musical taste in the rock field goes from Zeppelin to Soundgarden. And it just stops there. Even this "stoner" thing doesn't do much for me (and I think this song I did sound a bit like many things I'd heard who are labeled "stoner").

That being said, I comprehend were "grunge" comes from in my music. Power pop, not so much. I don't even know it much as genre. Do they call
Big Star power pop? I'm a fan of them.
Last edited by pdechery on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

jeanette_c wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:34 am I like the song and the guitars. Indeed quite restrained, but all the more defined for it. I would love a version with better drums and bass. I can see why you wanted to rerecord this song! Some really nice guitar work!
Hi there,

Thanks for hearing and sharing your views!

Yes, I agree there's room for improvement in the mixing. The way it is now at least is a good place to start. :wink: All instruments recorded, no errors...
Last edited by pdechery on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Rainmak3r wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:23 am I assume you toned down the Running Wild preset a lot, though? Guitars don't seem very distorted, which contributes to that 70/80s feel: I've used that preset often myself and it could have a very good punch (sometimes too much!).
Hi there!

I remember changing EQ, increasing Treble and decreasing Bass. Don't remember if I've changed the Drive knob.

Before this one, I'd tried other preset called "AJFA", which is meant to be the guitar tone from the "In Justice For All" album. It's indeed a killer tone, but it ruined certain parts of the song, producing a wall of distortion where I couldn't hear anything but noise.

This one sounds more 70's to me. I would prefer a more thrash tone, but ended up using it because at least I could hear every part clearly. And, of course, still having the necessary distortion.
Last edited by pdechery on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Rainmak3r wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:23 am No, I think this is indeed metal, even though closer to late 70s/early 80s hard rock or very early heavy metal
Well, not being metal is not an insult, of course! We are not on the trve metal board :lol: fair enough, metal in the 60s and early 70s sounded very different from the late 70s onwards, in part because of the psych rock influence in part because of the different equipment.
I assume you toned down the Running Wild preset a lot, though? Guitars don't seem very distorted, which contributes to that 70/80s feel: I've used that preset often myself and it could have a very good punch (sometimes too much!).
I would guess the single-coil pickups do their part!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

pdechery wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 am That being said, I comprehend were "grunge" comes from in my music. Power pop, not so much. I don't even know it much as genre. Do they call
Big Star power pop? I'm a fan of them.
Yes, Big Star is usually called "power pop"; probably one of the most popular bands of the genre along with The Cars and Cheap Trick. The name is a bit misleading, it's a subgenre of garage/hard rock in practice, just like heavy metal was in the early days :D

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

You got a really nice rhythm guitar tone there. Song has a nice '70s to very early '80s vibe to it.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I'm never particularly sure what fits which genre, but I do know when I like something.
This is one of those occasions. Well done! :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
troathscream
Established Member

Post by troathscream »

Cool track, imagine Chris Cornell Screaming over this track :wink:
I really like your lead guitar sound.
Metal for the Devil!!!!
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

troathscream wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:33 am Cool track, imagine Chris Cornell Screaming over this track :wink:
I really like your lead guitar sound.
Thank you. Well, it would be the greatest honor to have him singing something in this track. I guess Badmotorfinger was the album I'd heard the most until this day. To me it's easily one of the cornerstones of heavy music.

As for the solo, it's doubled. I don't know it that's recognizable. I played the same part two times and recorded one track above the other. Very simple but definitely a trick that adds a very special touch.
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

I like this a lot, very nice :D

I can definitely hear the Soundgarden influence :wink: (Superunknown is one of my all time favourite albums, RIP Chris, you genius).
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
Tenaba
Established Member

Post by Tenaba »

Nice riffs, and nice choice for a guitarix preset. I also like the pick slides, they sound really thick.

I make music as Tenaba! Bandcamp