A birthday song

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

spamatica
Established Member

A birthday song

Post by spamatica »

It is my birthday today :)

And with the current state of the world, making celebrations hard, I had an idea a few weeks ago to instead make a birthday song to myself :)
It's called 'Halvvägs (till döden)', half way (to death). Make of that what you want ;)

As usual strictly recorded in Linux with MusE, only non native part is Addictive Drums 2.

It came out pretty good so I hope you enjoy it :)
https://soundcloud.com/cdee/jarnjazz-halvvags
MusE DAW
milo
Established Member

Re: A birthday song

Post by milo »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

What a great way to celebrate! This is a really well-done production. I like the lead guitar especially. It's sort of a mix of rock genres, with the lead guitar sounding very classic rock, even veering into country rock a little bit, but with the rhytm guitars having more of a grunge sound and the drums more of a metal sound. An interesting combination. Your vocal performance is quite good, although it's hard for me to say too much about that because I don't understand the language. The backing vocals give a nice support.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hi Milo and thank you :)

Yeah, my leads tend to go in the blues scale, I really should try to expand my tonal palette, but it does work :)
Does it go into country somewhere? Not sure where that might be :D

As I've grumbled about before, my singing has it's ups and downs... In this case I really should have lowered the tune one or two half steps to more easily hit the highs. I redid them for several days and they got better and better, in the end they were good enough... and I sort of had a deadline ;)

I think the guitars are a bit too tame but it is easier to mix that way, I will try to make them growl more on coming tracks.
MusE DAW
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Listening again now in my studio, and I'm doubly impressed with the sound. It is very clean, without mud in the mid-lows. Very fine job of mixing and mastering. It sounds like a professional production.

The opening lead guitar has a few licks that could fit in a country rock song. Not like honky-tonk country, but the kind of country rock that could be hard rock if it weren't for the vocal style. Like this: https://youtu.be/5tXh_MfrMe0 (aside: Do those guys have a drummer? Where is he?)
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Love it!
Nuff sed :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Wow, that's a fantastic track, I love it! Happy (belated) birthday :mrgreen:
troathscream
Established Member

Post by troathscream »

Hapy birthday!! Cool song, really dig your guitarsound.
Metal for the Devil!!!!
modusjonens
Established Member

Post by modusjonens »

Great track -- thanks for sharing!

I especially liked the double-kick patterns/fills. Nice touch!

The lead guitar opening got my attention right away. Great tone! Also, that brief bit around 0:24 is super cool and heightens the drama.
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Thanks folks!

Thanks for all the gratulations and it makes me happy you liked the song :)
milo wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:37 pm The opening lead guitar has a few licks that could fit in a country rock song. Not like honky-tonk country, but the kind of country rock that could be hard rock if it weren't for the vocal style. Like this: https://youtu.be/5tXh_MfrMe0
Yeah, I see your point. It's kind of interesting to me the very diverse types of music that are grouped into country music. I'm not even really sure what the common denominators are. Can't be origin these days? Vocal style?
modusjonens wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:16 pm I especially liked the double-kick patterns/fills. Nice touch!

The lead guitar opening got my attention right away. Great tone! Also, that brief bit around 0:24 is super cool and heightens the drama.
Thanks for noticing! I was also very happy with the stops in the last chorus.

Regarding the double-kick patterns, during production I landed on using a pretty modern drum sound with a very klicky kick, and it just begs for doing these short kick bursts and I love it! :D
MusE DAW
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

This is wonderful! Well written, played and recorded. The drums sound very good. It gives the whole production a quite modern feel. A great song!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

spamatica wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:39 pmIt's kind of interesting to me the very diverse types of music that are grouped into country music. I'm not even really sure what the common denominators are. Can't be origin these days? Vocal style?
Yeah, I think so. Vocal style and marketing are most of it. Also some instrumentation: A rock song with a steel guitar and/or mandolin and/or fiddle is very unlikely to be anything else but country.

Actually, I remember when "Life is a Highway" was a rock song. The one I linked to above was just a country remake!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Wonderful production -- and happy birthday (i efterskott)!

The kick is great!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Sorry for coming late to the party :lol: even more sorry for coming late to the track, which sounds great! You Swedes really know how to rock, uh 8)
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!