Robin Reddocke

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Philotomy
Established Member

Robin Reddocke

Post by Philotomy »

This isn't an original composition, but it's my own arrangement of a piece from the late 16th century (Ballet's Lute Book). The original lute score is arranged for classical guitar, and I added parts for alto and tenor recorders, plus a frame drum.

Robin Reddocke

These are all "real" instruments (i.e., no samples or software instruments -- "real" isn't the best word, but you know what I mean) played by me and recorded and mixed with Bitwig.
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2
jeanette_c
Established Member

Re: Robin Reddocke

Post by jeanette_c »

This was a very enjoyable piece. Well played and well recorded. The instruments sounds nice and clean. If I had any suggestion for improvements they'd only be to personal taste. Somehow the guitar's mid highs appear a little too prominent and the frame drum is rather monotonous, though I suppose that is by design.
All in all, it sounds "professional" annd radio ready. Thanks for sharing!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

jeanette_c wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:46 pm This was a very enjoyable piece. Well played and well recorded. The instruments sounds nice and clean. If I had any suggestion for improvements they'd only be to personal taste. Somehow the guitar's mid highs appear a little too prominent and the frame drum is rather monotonous, though I suppose that is by design.
All in all, it sounds "professional" annd radio ready. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for the feedback; I appreciate it!
jeanette_c wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:46 pm...Somehow the guitar's mid highs appear a little too prominent...
Interesting. Listening back, I see what you mean. Some of that may be this particular guitar (it's a "parlor sized" Cordoba C9 classical guitar, so slightly smaller than a full-sized classical guitar -- it has a very "present" sound and skews more towards the treble end of spectrum, compared to larger guitars), but my EQing could also be influencing it. I'll take a look at the EQ settings I used and see. This was my first time recording and mixing this guitar, so it's quite possible that I need to experiment with the EQ approach some more.
jeanette_c wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:46 pm...the frame drum is rather monotonous, though I suppose that is by design.
Ha! The frame drum was a last minute addition. It's an inexpensive Roosebeck "bodhran" (mulberry frame/goatskin head), played with my hand/fingers. I'm not really a drummer, so I just kind of did what I could for a basic beat and didn't spend a lot of time on it. I'm sure a real drummer could've done better, even on such a simple piece.

While I'm not a drummer (I can play some basic beats on a drum kit, but that's about it), I've been very interested in drums and percussion, lately. I recently picked up a cajon, too, but I haven't recorded anything with it, yet.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

This is fun, it makes me want to take up playing a lute, don a leather jerkin, and organize a band of traveling minstrels.
Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

Michael Willis wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:04 pm This is fun, it makes me want to take up playing a lute, don a leather jerkin, and organize a band of traveling minstrels.
Lol... Thanks. It's definitely a bit "off the beaten path," but I enjoyed recording it. I think it's kind of cool that it's from so long ago, but here I am recording an arrangement of it and posting it to the internet.

Too bad they don't provide royalties in gold pieces! :)
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Really beautiful arrangement, and you did a great work with all instruments! I wish I could play more than just the guitar... I was given a Chinese Dizi as a gift for Christmas, though, so if I force myself to learn to play that too I could get to two :)
Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

Rainmak3r wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:57 pm Really beautiful arrangement, and you did a great work with all instruments!
Thank you!
Rainmak3r wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:57 pmI wish I could play more than just the guitar... I was given a Chinese Dizi as a gift for Christmas, though, so if I force myself to learn to play that too I could get to two :)
Yes, I think you should go for it. The Dizi is a cool instrument.

My family bought me a didgeridoo for Christmas. *That* was a surprise.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

This is really nicely done. It has a feeling of authenticity :D
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

folderol wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:06 pm This is really nicely done. It has a feeling of authenticity :D
Thank you!

"Authenticity" is a nice compliment, and I was kinda going for that (with the use of all physical/acoustic instruments). Amusingly, though, the instruments are not really "correct" for the period. Guitar instead of lute (I don't own a lute -- although I would love to have one). Recorders are "correct," but the recorders I own are all baroque style, which is a little later -- medieval or renaissance recorders would be a better fit, but I don't own any. And lastly, this piece is done with modern equal temperament tuning with A = 440. If it were truly "period correct" it would probably be in some sort of meantone temperament, and A would probably not be 440. But that's all little details that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I'm very pleased that it sounds "right."
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I love this genre. I have an album of Scottish lute pieces from a little later, but the music was written before the Baroque counterpoint styles had really penetrated that far north so it sounds very Renaissance-y. I could listen to that stuff all day. (Actually, I have before!)

Your recording is well done, and very pleasant on the ear. Like @Michael Willis, it made me want to don a jester's cap and scratch at my fleas while dancing a jig.
Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

milo wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:05 pm I love this genre. I have an album of Scottish lute pieces from a little later, but the music was written before the Baroque counterpoint styles had really penetrated that far north so it sounds very Renaissance-y. I could listen to that stuff all day. (Actually, I have before!)

Your recording is well done, and very pleasant on the ear. Like @Michael Willis, it made me want to don a jester's cap and scratch at my fleas while dancing a jig.
Thanks, milo.

I have a book of medieval and renaissance pieces arranged for guitar by John Renbourn; I'd like to get around to recording some of those, too, and perhaps adding other instruments to the guitar arrangements, as I did with this piece.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Very good! I think you could make an album of these :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Philotomy
Established Member

Post by Philotomy »

Basslint wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:19 am Very good! I think you could make an album of these :D
Thank you. :)