Music for a new world (instrumental progressive rock)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jeanette_c
Established Member

Music for a new world (instrumental progressive rock)

Post by jeanette_c »

Hey hey, this is a piece from the archives. It's a true progressive rock long track. It's entirely instrumental:
https://youtu.be/cTAfcwIPGtA
My mixing skills have improved since then, though I don't know about my compositinal abilities. :) Beyond the mix itself, which is medieocre, people have remarked that it is a little too busy. Still, I thought it worth posting. Especially in the beginning a few themes are introduced, which will appear later in this track. Other motifs were the main themes of other tracks on that album. That was a long standing ambition, ever since I was entranced by The Flower Kings' album Unfold The Future.
Technically speaking: the drums, piano, Rhodes, brass section and Mellotron strings were all LinuxSampler. The Clavinet happens to be a... Hohner Clavinet. :) The hammond came from setBfree (maybe even from Beatrix back then), the pipe organ was courtesy of Aeolus. The bass would have been a Korg Triton series keyboard. Most of the leads and the synth pluck were created by the Nordlead 3 virtual analogue keyboard. On the effects side some convolution reverbs were used with jconvolver. Beyond that: probably the Invada compressor, Fons Adriaensen's 4-band parametric filter (EQ), g2verb and more.
Share and enjoy and best wishes, Jeanette
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: Music for a new world (instrumental progressive rock)

Post by Rainmak3r »

Wow, this was great! One of the things I'm working on at the moment is indeed a 20ish minutes long progrock/rock opera piece, so I can definitely appreciate the effort that must have been done in this track: writing 5m track is one thing, writing something that is 5 times as much and keep it interesting is an entirely different beast! I hope I'll manage to live up to the task.

I personally liked the track a lot: in some parts it reminded me of one of my favourite bands, Kansas, so those were good memories :)
I can't comment much on whether or not the track was busy or not, as I've only listened to it once, but it didn't feel like that to me. I'll have to listen to it a couple more times to appreciate the themes coming back, which is something I do love in music. The only note would be the lack of guitars, that in some parts almost screamed to be there :mrgreen: But I think your usage of keyboards managed to pretty much compensate for that.