Gör mig hel [prog pop]

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

spamatica
Established Member

Gör mig hel [prog pop]

Post by spamatica »

Hi fellas,

Another song that I think is finished now.

This is a bit of an unusual one for me in that it has taken a very long time. That in itself is not so unusual but it came out of experimentation and trying to force-produce a song. Generally these experiments either yield a song in a very short period of time or there will be no song.

This one however I started sometime in 2018 and let go after a few months, found it again during spring and have on and off been trying things since then.

I dubbed it progressive pop as it is probably the most progressive you will get out of me (which isn't saying that much), I usually prefer it on the simpler side of things.

As always it is sequenced, mixed and produced in MusE, drums provided by Addictive Drums, some strings from VSCO. The rest are recorded instruments and voices.

https://soundcloud.com/cdee/gor-mig-hel

I hope you enjoy!
MusE DAW
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Gör mig hel [prog pop]

Post by jonetsu »

On the mixing side it's very good. There's warmth in the instruments, including the drums. The production irradiates warmth. I guess there's some prog in there, but it's rather pop I find. And as such the lyrics are at the forefront. There are many musical pieces with vocals in languages that's not fully understood (or barely or not at all) and yet the music makes it nevertheless interesting. Here though the music bits are very nice, it's rather standard. Hence, a translation of the vocals could be nice, especially for what is meant by 'making someone whole' in the song. I think a written translation would bring more 'wholesomeness' to experience the listening.

Cheers.
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

I liked the beat and the arrangement. It's like a jam, very loosen up. Good guitar parts too.

As about "prog", Pink Floyd is considered to be a Prog band and some of their music goes on the same vibe as yours.
I make music and you can listen here: https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

pdechery wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:54 pm As about "prog", Pink Floyd is considered to be a Prog band and some of their music goes on the same vibe as yours.
Same for Porcupine Tree and sometimes Opeth, I would add. This kind of prog certainly originates from the original 60s/70s bands like Yes and Genesis, though.

I certainly would consider this song progressive. I too can't understand the lyrics but I like the music. I agree with @jonetsu that the mix is good. I also like the vocal style, somewhat more involved than we're used to. Props :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Thanks guys!

Yeah, one could argue how progressive, progressive is to be called Progressive? :D
There isn't wierd rhythms in my music, at least extremely seldom. But there are some chord progressions and breaks in there that do not come naturally to me so it is progressive, to me. :D

Glad you liked the vocals also... or at least say you do ;). They are not my favourite but I don't think my abilities allow me to improve them, so I'm happy if they "work"!

Regarding the lyrics. I didn't consider the lyrics to this one to be especially noteworthy but reflecting on it they have some turn phrases that I think worked out pretty good. Not sure I can translate them adequately but I can try. It's a bit darker than I thought :D

If you have to leave, do take me with you then
The paintings on the walls smile, but not at me
Like regret is a feeling I know too well
I rely on the moments when piece is in my soul

Come here, warm my feet
Assure me everything will be alright
defy all my flaws
Come here, turn my pages, to you
You make me whole, though I tear myself
You make me whole, on my stormy seas
You make me whole, say all will be okay
You make me whole, through all my wierd demans

I'm calling out to you though the hour is not yet here
As well I am grateful for the battle I avoid
The sun rises slowly through the dark haze
I rest my eyes, confused again by the forests noise
MusE DAW
lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Post by lykwydchykyn »

And here I thought I was alone in the "prog pop" space. :-). I'd put people like Peter Gabriel or Sting in that group. Prog to me is not what you include in a song, it's what you're willing to include if the song demands it. It's never saying "oh we can't do that, it'd be weird".

Good song! Some of the sounds you choose remind me a bit of the Flaming Lips, like the drums and bass that are almost old-skool hip-hoppish tonally but playing in a rock style. Pretty cool stuff.

Some sweet playing in the guitar solo too, and I like the subtle flange that seems to become evident at just the right spots.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

lykwydchykyn wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:24 pm And here I thought I was alone in the "prog pop" space. :-). I'd put people like Peter Gabriel or Sting in that group. Prog to me is not what you include in a song, it's what you're willing to include if the song demands it. It's never saying "oh we can't do that, it'd be weird".
To stay on a Swedish theme, there's The Flower Kings, a prog band by all accounts with pieces running up to 25 minutes and more, that made quite a few good songs. I was looking for an example and found this one, posted just a month ago. Not bad for a song:

"THE FLOWER KINGS - Morning News (OFFICIAL VIDEO)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ROkNn6Ng9o
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

Fantastic production! Everything has a nicely defined place and a perfect tone and sound, drums are big and the kick drum finds a great space in the mix (not easy to pull off) Excellent playing and singing with really nice counterpoint harmonies.. The song is brooding but the drums kinda make you wanna shake your ass at the same time...lol. I liked the guitar solo crescendo (very tasty playing) but I wish the drop was a bit more pronounced and lasted longer to create more tension.. Really great stuff! I wish I found MuSE more appealing... you do such tremendous work with it!!
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

You have a creative time. To mention the odd point of criticism first: I can't say I'm too fond of the snare - at least not through the song. The rest of the arrangement and composition is quite enjoyable. It's good to see some prog pop, I always wondered what it could be like. Now I know one answer. Thanks for sharing!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

it was worth persevering with :)
Some lovely details in the playing and instrument choices.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Beautiful :D Lovely composition and production. Loved the guitar work and the wah-wah soloing. Sweet.

I didn't get the "prog" tag though!
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Wow, this is great! Rhythmically it reminded me a lot of Pineapple Thief, one of my favourite bands: Bruce Soord has this way of painting intricate textures with an acoustic guitar that still manage to be pleasant and interesting, and I think you did something very similar there! The solo is also quite tasteful, and fits the song nicely. My only note may be on vocals, which seem maybe a bit too loud compared to the mix: I wasn't listening with a headset or a good audio system though, so it may very well just be me.