"Confetes", new track, samba-jazz

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

pdechery
Established Member

"Confetes", new track, samba-jazz

Post by pdechery »

Hi everyone,

I had finally finished a project made in Ardour (this time version 6), and I'd love to share it with you.

This is an old composition I made many years ago and had later decided to arrange in a "samba-jazz" fashion, in the vein of brazilian musicians like Toninho Horta and Nelson Angelo.

Production-wise I recorded the guitars with my Yamaha acoustic nylon-string. I'm playing only with my fingers, not using a pick. I thought it was more appropriate. Had to do a a few more takes on the solo, though :slight_smile:

The drums were made with the x42 Drumkit plugin, which I used for the first time and had absolutely loved. Fantastic sound, very simple to use and nice GUI.

There's a little synth made with ZynSubFx (something like that) plugin, which I had also used for the first time. I used General MIDI a lot in my past projects, and still like it, but Zyn has a great interface and I decided to take my first steps with it.

It was quite a challenge to make the drum parts, since I had never made a samba-beat before, let alone with a computer. I had to checkout some reference in YouTube and hear again some tunes I didn't hear in a long time. I've ended up using a very basic kit with a shaker I played and recorded myself.

And this is it. I hope you like the tune, and if so, I'd suggest to checkout Toninho Horta or Nelson Angelo records, since they're both artists who had adapted the jazz language to brazilian music in a very particular and beautiful way.

Here's the link, abraços a todos.

https://soundcloud.com/pierre-dechery/confetes-2020-mix
Last edited by pdechery on Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I make music and you can listen here: https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
Basslint
Established Member

Re: "Confetes", new track, samba-jazz

Post by Basslint »

Hello Pierre, your hearty playing and your tasteful lines really are appreciated! Which model of Yamaha guitar are you using?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Basslint wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:46 pm Hello Pierre, your hearty playing and your tasteful lines really are appreciated! Which model of Yamaha guitar are you using?
Hi @Basslint , thanks for your kind words :)

My guitar is a CGX101A. I had it from about 20 years now. Definitely love it.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Listening to this was great fun. The guitar playing was really nice, and I liked your percussion, for how much of a challenge you described I think it sounds great.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

@pdechery nice style and composition.
Saudade do brasil :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Would you dislike me (very much) if I said that I found it very relaxing? It sounds so cliche saying that. But it does unwind me after a day of recording, entractable software and a mix marathon. :)
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

jeanette_c wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:55 pm Would you dislike me (very much) if I said that I found it very relaxing?
Hi @jeanette_c no, not at all. This is a sort of "bossa" tune, and that's one of the most relaxing beats I know. Glad you liked it that way.
Michael Willis wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:38 pm ...and I liked your percussion, for how much of a challenge you described I think it sounds great.
Hi @Michael Willis , I loved the result in the end too, but to achieve that it took about four our five tries. As a brazilian I was starting to fear I wasn't capable of doing a decent samba beat!

Thanks everyone, for your much appreciated feedback!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

This is fantastic! I'm a fan of Bossanova, and I love the way your track sounds, and the guitar in particular: using fingers was definitely the right choice, and I'm impressed by how well you played that way (I'm lost without a pick). The rhythmic sections in songs like those are indeed hard, but I I think you nailed it.
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Rainmak3r wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:45 am This is fantastic! I'm a fan of Bossanova, and I love the way your track sounds, and the guitar in particular: using fingers was definitely the right choice, and I'm impressed by how well you played that way (I'm lost without a pick). The rhythmic sections in songs like those are indeed hard, but I I think you nailed it.
Glad you liked it! The solo had some edits, I couldn't did it all in one take. But I'm practicing to release a new version soon.

Yes, the rhythm was indeed hard for me, I'm a guitarist after all. I saw some videos from drummers in YouTube to figure out how to play each part. I've ended up using a basic solution. If you hear some recordings from the "big guys" in this style you'll know how richer the percussion can be (maybe you already do). But, anyway, the end result had fitted well. I'm happy :-)

One thing I'm still striked about is the final volume of the track, which is lower than my other recordings. I'm not satisfied with that, and that's something I will definitely do some research to get it fixed.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

This very nice work. the style and instrumentation brings back a (rather foggy) memory of the backing music for a TV program in the 1960s - A travel one I think.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Sweetness delicate jazz-work, high-quality, my respect!
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Very nice! sooooothing :D
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus