Angeles (cover)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

davephillips
Established Member

Angeles (cover)

Post by davephillips »

https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/angeles-cover

An old recording recently hauled from the vaults. I touched it up a bit with some tools in VCV Rack, but alas, the original was not so very well-recorded. The performance is enjoyable though, so I decided to post it anyway. The song of course is terrific, one of Elliott Smith's best.

One man, one guitar, one voice, two mics. Easy like Sunday morning.

Best regards,

dp
Kott
Established Member

Re: Angeles (cover)

Post by Kott »

Good guitar, really.
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

You picked a great song to cover and as a version It sounded really good to me, specially the guitar. Very nice finger-style playing.

Hearing a version sometimes helps me to get a better understanding of the original. It was the case here.

Maybe a little work in the mix would help to give a better feel. I think the voice was somewhat isolated, with too much reverb. But the singing is fine.

Great job!
I make music and you can listen here: https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

I don't know the song, but it's played beautifully (I wish I could play guitar like this! I've always sucked with arpeggios) and I love how the voice is recorded. Nice job!
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings, and my thanks for your responses.

@pdechery - I agree, the song is a great composition. The lyrics, melody, and accompaniment are all 1st-class work. I'm glad you enjoyed my spin on it. Btw, the original recording was done in Ardour, but alas, the mix has been lost so there's not much more I can do to remix/remaster it.

@Rainmak3r - Thank you ! I'm a player with almost 60 years experience on the instrument, including a long period of nothing but classical guitar. I no longer perform but I still teach, it helps keep my hands in the game. :)

Btw, the recorded performance is "live", i.e. I'm playing and singing it with one mic pointed at the guitar, the other at my voice. So not the best circumstances for remixing.

Again, my thanks to all who listened, you are all appreciated.

Best regards,

dp
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Haven't found time for a sustained visit down here to the LM's basement bar and lounge in a while and catching up is going to take some time! What a blessing to walk in and hear 'that' voice!

What a powerhouse tune! Locomotive thumb much!? The chord voicings are beautiful too.. excellent work.. and live!!??

Miss ya Dave, come back and play again soon.. please!
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

I also am not familiar with the song and would have treated the vocal a bit differently, but the singing is good and guitar pickin' exemplary. Thanks, Dave!
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:06 pm Hi
Hey man !
Haven't found time for a sustained visit down here to the LM's basement bar and lounge in a while and catching up is going to take some time! What a blessing to walk in and hear 'that' voice!

What a powerhouse tune! Locomotive thumb much!? The chord voicings are beautiful too.. excellent work.. and live!!??
Thanks, G, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm happy enough with the performance, it was in my repertoire at that time so it's fairly polished. IIRC that's the 2nd take. I don't usually do many takes when I record - I'm too impatient - and if I have the songs in my current playlist they're usually well-practiced and shouldn't require many takes anyway. Of course I then end up with the occasional crappy mix and have to fix what I can later.
Miss ya Dave, come back and play again soon.. please!
I'll try. I keep very busy here, despite the problems with Covid. I don't go out much, but I'm still teaching face-to-face (mask-to-mask actually) and on-line. I read a lot, keep up on my t'ai chi, work on music projects, and spend a fair amount of time maintaining our home. I know I need to get some more songs recorded, I've a few good ones I don't want to leave unrepresented. Alas, I get lazy about recording but I'll try to do better, I promise. :)

I hope all is well for you. We're awaiting the election results here. Which reminds me: How are the opportunities up there for an old white bluesman ? Y'know, just in case I gotta get out of town quickly...

Best regards to you & yours !

dp
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

sunrat wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:47 am I also am not familiar with the song and would have treated the vocal a bit differently, but the singing is good and guitar pickin' exemplary. Thanks, Dave!
Thank you ! All listeners and comments are most appreciated. :)

Best regards,

dp