Dreams of Seagulls - I See The Dawn (electronic pop)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

oscillator
Established Member

Dreams of Seagulls - I See The Dawn (electronic pop)

Post by oscillator »

Oscillator Studios proudly presents

Dreams of Seagulls - I See The Dawn

https://youtu.be/7RKJDJILJe0

Music: Staffan Melin
Vocals: Kajsa Olsson

Mixed and mastered on the train between two cities...

Produced using only open source software: MusE, Surge, drumkv1, Calf FX, Dragonfly reverb.

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

Basslint
Established Member

Re: Dreams of Seagulls - I See The Dawn (electronic pop)

Post by Basslint »

I obviously like all the "Dreams of Seagulls" stuff, it is no lie and no secret at this point :D I like a lot the synth work and the composition on this one. It's less poppy than the previous ones, I don't know if it's intentional or not.

How did you make the synth that sounds like Ghost by Japan (David Sylvian)? (at 4:18 onwards) Also, what did you use to make those nice staccato arpeggios at the end?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Basslint wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:15 am I obviously like all the "Dreams of Seagulls" stuff, it is no lie and no secret at this point :D
Thank you very much! We feel honored!
Basslint wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:15 am I like a lot the synth work and the composition on this one. It's less poppy than the previous ones, I don't know if it's intentional or not.
I see what you mean, but it is not intentional. The songs just come to me, and how they turn out is not planned very much. Dreams of Seagulls aims to have a few more layers than our previous Dreamplane stuff.
Basslint wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:15 am How did you make the synth that sounds like Ghost by Japan (David Sylvian)? (at 4:18 onwards) Also, what did you use to make those nice staccato arpeggios at the end?
The only softsynth used on this song is Surge. That last sound is a preset sequence called "Chord me". I am not sure what sound you mean at 4:18, but if you want the MusE song file I can sent it to you and you can examine which sounds are involved. PM me.

Once again, thanks a lot for your kind words, and for listening!

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Nice job again. Kajsa's harmonized vocals are nice on this one. On the instrumental side I think this is a stellar arrangement of sounds - a good mixture of subtle and not-so-subtle textures. My favorite is the fuzzy bass that sometimes gets in your face, but I also like the gentle arpeggios.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

oscillator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:10 pm The only softsynth used on this song is Surge. That last sound is a preset sequence called "Chord me". I am not sure what sound you mean at 4:18, but if you want the MusE song file I can sent it to you and you can examine which sounds are involved. PM me.
Thanks for the offer! No need to PM me the whole track, I'm just curious about that one sound, that also starts at around 2:19 on the left channel.

Also, for now my setup isn't great for recording (due to an old PC) and I am trying to find ways around that but I'd be glad to contribute some electric guitars to one of your future songs to if you ever felt like it :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

milo wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:34 am My favorite is the fuzzy bass that sometimes gets in your face, but I also like the gentle arpeggios.
Thanks a lot @milo! I like that sound too! :) I have begun to work a lot with automation (= controlling parameters of the soft synths), in this case I crank up the filter cutoff at the end of the phrases. The bass almost turns into brass! :)

oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Basslint wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:03 am I'm just curious about that one sound, that also starts at around 2:19 on the left channel.
Ah, that is also a Surge soft synth preset, called "Sine Sequencer 1". Surge has this useful built in parameter sequencer. And -- a lot of great presets! :)
Basslint wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:03 am Also, for now my setup isn't great for recording (due to an old PC) and I am trying to find ways around that but I'd be glad to contribute some electric guitars to one of your future songs to if you ever felt like it :D
A very generous offer! You will be hearing from us! :)

psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Pretty nice, like this song! Sweetly and beauty!
Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/