Love & Kindness

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milo
Established Member

Love & Kindness

Post by milo »

I just posted a new track: https://sanderson.band/2020/10/17/love-and-kindness/

This is a collaboration with my cousin Tom, a grooving 70's rock anthem for peace and civility:
Well, you can turn your lead to bullets
Or you can turn your lead to gold
You can have war if you pay the price
But love can’t be bought or sold
All of Tom's tracks were recorded with his Roland FA-06 or with his Tascam hardware multitrack machine. My tracks were all recorded and the song was mixed and mastered in Ardour 5.12 on Linux Mint 19.3. The rhythm guitar is an Ibanez AM53 semi-hollow body, and the lead guitar is a Fender Telecaster. The guitar tracks use the FatFrog virtual guitar amplifier plugged in to the Guitarix cabinet emulator. The bass uses the Guitarix amp. Other plugins used in mixing and mastering include the Linux Studio Plugins compressors and limiters, Dragonfly Reverb, and Calf Studio Gear‘s 5-band EQ and Vintage Delay.
oscillator
Established Member

Re: Love & Kindness

Post by oscillator »

I liked this. It made me feel better, and a bit more hopeful.

The music was happy, too. The "duet" parts were my favorites.

I wish I could write a song like this one day. Thank you!

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

It's been said before that you your cousin work well together and this is another fine example. You two certainly nailed the vibe and flavor of that time to a T. Good on yuz.. :)

Uh, did i hear a little Jerry Garcia type riff thrown in there ? :wink:
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I enjoyed it too. Great singing and the mix is also great and transparent. I would make the funky guitar in the right channel a bit louder or pan it more to the center, but that's a matter of taste.
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Quite groovy, cool track, and I think it manages to capture that 70s sound!
I agree on the "feel better" vibe, which is something your songs very often successfully convey (and I'll never attempt, I'd fail miserably :lol: ).
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Thanks for listening and commenting, everyone!

@carlv: believe it or not, I have never actually listened to the Grateful Dead. Whatever influence you hear is indirect. I went through a Phish phase thought - maybe that's what you're hearing?

I just pulled up an old Grateful Dead concert video, and it's pretty jivin'. I think I'll watch the whole thing.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Very American, in a good sense. When are you guys going to make a studio album? It sounds like you're ready :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Basslint wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:09 am Very American, in a good sense. When are you guys going to make a studio album? It sounds like you're ready :D
Haha! I lived in England for 2 years when I was a young adult, and that really opened my eyes to what it means to be an American. I was very much surprised to learn that not everyone in the world thinks that Americans are as awesome as we do. It's a good experience to live away from home for a while.

No plans to make a studio album, although I expect I would learn a lot from the process.. We'll just keep making home recordings, because that's a lot of fun and you can do it on your own time and dime. A studio album, I expect, would be quite expensive to produce and I would have to relinquish some of the control I have over the sound. Besides, what would I do with a studio album? I'm not going on tour, and I don't know anyone who wants to buy my music. :)
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

milo wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:35 pm No plans to make a studio album, although I expect I would learn a lot from the process.. We'll just keep making home recordings, because that's a lot of fun and you can do it on your own time and dime. A studio album, I expect, would be quite expensive to produce and I would have to relinquish some of the control I have over the sound. Besides, what would I do with a studio album? I'm not going on tour, and I don't know anyone who wants to buy my music. :)
I understand and feel the same. I'm 100% fine with home records, I actually prefer them to studio records in some cases. Was just throwing the ball out there!

Also, I think Americans aren't really disliked in all of Europe. Just go outside any McDonald's in a small Italian city and you'll see they are full pretty much all the time and almost everybody here watches Netflix, uses American social networks and maybe listens to some American music (I think British music here is more popular, overall, but some American artists like Bruno Mars, Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteen are popular here). If you want to know, the stereotyped negative idea about Americans is that they are exaggerated in everything they do. I personally don't believe in such stuff, I think every culture in the world is unique and has something to offer and America does great at being the land of opportunities. American people in some cases will die for the freedom of other people and this is one aspect that we Italians shouldn't forget after WWII.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

@Basslint, thank you for the kind words.

For the record, I love my country, despite its flaws. I find the foreign stereotypes of America amusing because there is truth is them, even though they may overlook some of the obvious better things about us. We should all have a laugh at ourselves from time to time.

The truth is, I just love people. No matter where they are from in the world, human beings are amazing and wonderful creatures. Flawed, yes, but so talented and capable! I love how this forum lets us interact on a personal level about a shared interest, despite whatever differences we may have.

WORLD PEACE THROUGH LINUX AUDIO! :lol:
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Wow, I thought we were going a little bit off topic but it turned out to be so apropos to the meaning of the song.
pdechery
Established Member

Post by pdechery »

Hi @milo

Great work, it sounds like a good soul/R&B track to me, a very American musical tradition.

I liked the positive vibe and the lyrics. Specially when citing comments in social media. There's many songs that sing about peace & love but this is the only one I found that talks about that!

Again, production-wise, very well done.
I make music and you can listen here: https://www.mundolunar.art.br/
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Yes, I liked that line as well. My cousin wrote most of the lyrics, and I think he did a great job. We are in unison about the song's message. The closer we got to election day in the USA, the more urgently I wanted to get this song out there.

Thanks a lot for your nice comment!
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

This is a song that's a vehicle for the words. Like so many songs that were produced in the sane vein (same being classics of an era) the music by itself is by definition basic, not distracting to the meaning carried by the words.

So the mix is good. Maybe a bit more 'treatment' to the vocals so that they blend just a bit more with the music ? The vocals by themselves are very good for that genre.

Reading the comments above ... we often make the mistake when speaking and writing to use the name of a people to actually talk about it's government. The Chinese did ... The Americans did ... The Russians (of course) did ... It's some kind of an unhealthy link, to quickly bridge the actions of a government to the people it pretends to represent. And pretending is more and more the actual keyword these times than ever.

Hence we can say a lot of bad things about the USA. These are not lacking. Number of military bases in the world, pseudo wars about democracy and liberty when in fact they are invasions and thief. Sanctions maintained against Syria, as well as the illegal military presence in the country to 'protect the oil fields' along the the sold Kurds. The thousands and thousands and thousands of families destroyed and people killed either directly or by mercenaries in covert wars. The 500 000 children killed in Irak, number that the secretary of state Albright did not question and actually justified live on TV. Etc. etc...

Still, when I meet an American (or any other nationality, the USofA being used as an example for the context) I meet a person. Until shown otherwise, the person is totally not liable to the actions of the government and can even be against the action of his/her government. In practical terms it starts there, at the individual level.

And there are some countries in which it's not easy to talk logically against the actions of the government ... now would that be a spreading infection ?
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Musical travel in golden years :) Nice song, like it!

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/