Katydid Chorus Sync

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ambicumber
Established Member

Katydid Chorus Sync

Post by ambicumber »

Basslint
Established Member

Re: Katydid Chorus Sync

Post by Basslint »

Very relaxing yet rhythmic, I like your style of drum programming! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

That's really good and the mix is also very very balanced. I enjoyed it. Also like the melancholic vibe.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

This was surprisingly fun! I normally get bored of electronic music with lots of repetition, but this had just the right amount of new stuff layered in here and there to keep it interesting.
ambicumber
Established Member

Post by ambicumber »

Wow, that’s some quick feedback. Thanks for listening :mrgreen: If any info is needed, fire away.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

ambicumber wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:00 pm Wow, that’s some quick feedback. Thanks for listening :mrgreen: If any info is needed, fire away.
Fine :D What is your composition process like?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
ambicumber
Established Member

Post by ambicumber »

Basslint wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:18 am Fine :D What is your composition process like?
For this track in particular I was fiddling around the analog gear, punching stuff into internal sequencers - firstly the arpeggiator line. Then I used Ardour to synchronize hardware with Hydrogen and send notes of previously played pads (the poly part) to Zynfusion (Zynfusion and Hydrogen had individual outs to an analog mixer). Hydrogen patterns and everything else was controlled ad hoc as this track was recorded in one live take.

Tnx for asking!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Dig this track! It has a great vibe and lots of cool sounds. Nicely done!
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

I love the vibe and the sounds. But I have a few questions about the mix. Personally, I think the drums are quite prominent in the mix, a little too much so. Did you use much processing on them? They sound rather raw. A good 707 sound. Also the other sounds both have a good frame of reference and still appear fresh. did you program those "on the analogue hardware"? :)
The main bass sound and the "secondary bassline" on the left sound like their frequencies overlap a little, which is a pity, because both of them sound really nice and the secondary line brings a great point of interest to the mix.
Nice song! Thanks for sharing!
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
ambicumber
Established Member

Post by ambicumber »

jeanette_c wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:08 pm I love the vibe and the sounds. But I have a few questions about the mix. Personally, I think the drums are quite prominent in the mix, a little too much so. Did you use much processing on them? They sound rather raw. A good 707 sound. Also the other sounds both have a good frame of reference and still appear fresh. did you program those "on the analogue hardware"? :)
The main bass sound and the "secondary bassline" on the left sound like their frequencies overlap a little, which is a pity, because both of them sound really nice and the secondary line brings a great point of interest to the mix.
Nice song! Thanks for sharing!
Good ear! Raw 707 to the mixer, boosted the lows and mids there, quadraverb for some reverb and boss dd-3 for a touch of delay at some points. Two poly lines come from Zynfusion, fresh sounds do come from hardware :lol:
Overlapping frequencies are due to my sub-par mixer knob fiddling, since it hasn’t been until recently that I started doing one-shot (firstly typed ‘one-shit’) recordings.
jeanette_c
Established Member

Post by jeanette_c »

Have you tried actually lowering the mids on the drums? I know the 707 has a good mid-range on both the kick and the snare, but for a mix the sacrifice could support the overall sound.
So you do your mixing completely on-the-fly? Wow! That is amazing! I wouldn't even try. But I've never been much of a live person. :)
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
ambicumber
Established Member

Post by ambicumber »

jeanette_c wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm Have you tried actually lowering the mids on the drums? I know the 707 has a good mid-range on both the kick and the snare, but for a mix the sacrifice could support the overall sound.
So you do your mixing completely on-the-fly? Wow! That is amazing! I wouldn't even try. But I've never been much of a live person. :)
Yes, live on-the-fly, I even dance a little :wink: I know lowering the mids on 707 would make it sound more professional, but I love the trash-can dimension it gets with significant low and mid boost. I should cut the lows on the reverb, need to delve into the manual. However, I need all the possible critique on mixing!