Love Songs - The Argent Grub (made with Ardour)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

caprenter
Established Member

Love Songs - The Argent Grub (made with Ardour)

Post by caprenter »

Fuzzed up love!

I've just released Love Songs on Bandcamp. It's free/pay what you feel and freely licenced (CC BY-SA 3.0)

If it were vinyl, it would be a double a-side 45.
Two songs that could be love songs, but then aren’t they all?
For those of a sensitive disposition you should be aware that there is a liberal use of fuzz throughout.

I wanted to make something with a fuzz pedal and this is what happened basically. But without Ardour, a host of other open source magic, and the Linux music community, it would never have happened. Plugins and software used are listed in the credits on Bandcamp and on the website at https://theargentgrub.co.uk/about

Much heavier in tone than previous releases, Listen up and I Can't Breathe but might lighter in terms of content!

Feedback and questions are welcome.
Thanks.
spamatica
Established Member

Re: Love Songs - The Argent Grub (made with Ardour)

Post by spamatica »

Hi @caprenter,

Fun songs, cool riffs! I especially liked the chord change break in I see you. Sounds overall very livey, which I'm guessing is intentional.

You didn't ask for it but I'm hoping you are open to some criticism, posting here and all :)

First, the vocals are in my opinion much too low in the mix. Especially on the first song. I guess it's possible there is some sound ideal leaning in this direction but I think you would get a better result with louder vocals.

Secondly, distortion is a double edged sword. I think you would be better off taming the sound a little bit, especially on the second song. Either less distortion or eq:ing it a bit. What makes distortion great (imho) is the massiveness of the sound, but the price of this is that it takes up so much of the frequency range. So when mixing a heavily fuzzed sound it is very hard to get it to coexist with other instruments. Especially with ringing chords.

Rock on!
MusE DAW
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks for taking the time to listen and to reply.

I do like stuff that's on the heavier, mushier side of things, and did intend for the vocals be lower in the mix - but you make good points. Too low may not be good for enough/right for others.

Also good to hear what you have say on the fuzz/distortion. Will bear that in mind in future.

Thanks again
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Nice vintage punk sound. Reminds me of early Joy Division, complete with undecipherable lyrics. Except that you sing in tune. :)
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

Except that you sing in tune
Ha - only just - that's partly why it's low in the mix! Really pleasing that you make those associations with the track - more than i could have hoped for really. Thanks.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I get a nice 60s feeling with it, with touches of grunge. Congrats for making a serious release under a free license!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

Thanks @Basslint I see the free license as a pretty important thing. On the software side, it's all FOSS, so a free licence for the product seems fitting. Also, practically everything (I think) I know about the process has come from people freely passing on their knowledge, so again...
Finally, I like how it also opens up possibilities, post release, for re-use.

I quite like Bandcamp as a platform - it seems to me to be 'doing the right thing' - and it allows for free licensing. I like that there is an ability to pay something if you like but also to distribute it for free.

Thanks for taking some time to listen and comment. Appreciated.
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

caprenter wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:54 pm
Except that you sing in tune
Ha - only just - that's partly why it's low in the mix!
Pop those vocals out, particularly the first track. When I started recording my voice I put it too far back, worried I didn't have a great voice. I don't btw :wink: but I sing in tune! Own it.

The vocals work in the second track but could be a tiny bit more prominent anyway.

As for the songs - excellent :D Really like them.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus