Laser Tag (Failed Video Game Theme)

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

Laser Tag (Failed Video Game Theme)

Post by finotti »

I have new production up: Laser Tag (Game Theme).

My son asked me to make a theme song for the laser tag video game he is making. He wanted it to be "sci-fi", by which he seemed to mean 80s synth music. So, I took a shot at it. :-) Unfortunately, we agreed that it might not work well for the game, but we did like the song itself.

This one is very different from my usual songs, and honestly I was much lazier in the making. I usually am much more careful with details, humanization, and variation, but since it was going to be just some background music, I did not bother as much. (And there is not even a guitar solo!) But I do like how it turned out.

It was sequenced with Muse, mixed in Ardour, with u-he (Zebra, Repro) and Zyn as synths, DrumGizmo drums (and plain FluidSynth electronic drums), and mostly LSP, OvertoneDSP, and u-he plugins.

Any suggestion or constructive criticism on the mix is always welcome, as I still struggle quite a bit with mixing...

Some more info in the Laser Tag entry of my music site.
jeanette_c
Established Member

Re: Laser Tag (Failed Video Game Theme)

Post by jeanette_c »

Hey hey @finotti ,
this is very 80s, both in composition and choice of sounds. That seems to be a desirable pastiche. :)
As much fun as it was, I would probably have enjoyed a little more production, but then I'm rather snobbish that way. I never got the punk influence on 80s pop. :)
Especially the drums stood out somehow. Perhaps some uncalled-for compression, maybe even decimation or distortion might have helped, as well as a dusting of reverb. The other sounds fitted together very homogenously, so you may choose whether I'm criticising "bad" drum production or praising your melodic instrument mix. :) Well chosen and layered. I like how it feels dense, but does not need a full synthetic orchestra.
--
distro: ArchLinux, DAW: Nama, MIDI sequencer: Midish
All my latest music on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rf ... 7jhC1Jnv7g
Albums, patches and Csound on http://juliencoder.de
spamatica
Established Member

Post by spamatica »

Hi @finotti

Neat! I completely adore synthwave (as I believe it is generally called these days). Though this goes into more progressive territory.
It's a nice arrangement that feels like it would fit as soundtrack (even though you decided against it).

If you were going for a more traditional 80s sound I would probably have selected an electronic drumkit but this does absolutely work.

Regarding the mixing, as Jeanette mentions, there is something about the drums.
One thing that might make a big difference is lowering the shaker (at least I believe it is a shaker), it is way too loud on my speakers.
Same might go for cymbals. After lowering that some other detail might jump out, can't tell now.

Listening again.. you could also experiment with using a more 80s sound on the snare with big reverb :)
Put the drums further back in the mix maybe.. (I mean more reverb), possibly less bass on the kit too, not that drums are bassy but it might help the mix.

All I can come up with right now.
MusE DAW
psyocean
Established Member

Post by psyocean »

Perfectly!

Guitar and synth tales... https://www.youtube.com/user/Psyocean/
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Thanks @jeanette_c and @spamatica for the suggestions! I did not have much time but I am trying something different with the drums. I will try to post a new mix if I ever get something I like...

Thanks again for listening and for the suggestions!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Very nice track! The sounds are well chosen and balanced. Changes are enough to keep interest through the piece. And I love the guitar! That was just what the composition needed.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

milo wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:39 am Very nice track! The sounds are well chosen and balanced. Changes are enough to keep interest through the piece. And I love the guitar! That was just what the composition needed.
Thanks, milo! I really appreciate it!
oscillator
Established Member

Post by oscillator »

Reminds me of that synth song on the Rocky (IV?) soundtrack, which I loved. I think it is the bass. Very nice sounds. I don't have any problems with the drums really, but would have loved some fat Simmons SDS! :)

MusE DAW running on Debian 11 Testing/XFCE4.
https://oscillator.se/musik

finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

oscillator wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:55 pm Reminds me of that synth song on the Rocky (IV?) soundtrack, which I loved. I think it is the bass. Very nice sounds. I don't have any problems with the drums really, but would have loved some fat Simmons SDS! :)
Thanks, oscillator!

I had to look up what "Simmons SDS" was. :-) The electronic drums were just the ones from FluidSynth.... I probably should have put some more effort on finding better ones, but I really don't know much about it at all. I will see if I find some sound font for the Simmons. And maybe the TR-808 which seems quite popular. (I've been swamped this days, but hopefully soon will have some time to do some work on this song again.)

Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

On my second listen, I think I like it even more!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Basslint wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:49 am On my second listen, I think I like it even more!
Thanks! For the kind words and for taking the time to listen and reply!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Oh looks like I missed this? Very nice track! I particularly liked the build-up halfway through the song. It does have a really cool 80s vibe, with very interesting sounds (guitars are great!) that reminded me a bit of the "Black Rain" soundtrack.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Thanks, @Rainmak3r! I appreciate it! I didn't know (or remember) the soundtrack for "Black Rain", but checking it out, I take it as big compliment. :-) Thanks for taking the time to check it out and comment!
Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

finotti wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:15 pm Thanks, @Rainmak3r! I appreciate it! I didn't know (or remember) the soundtrack for "Black Rain", but checking it out, I take it as big compliment. :-) Thanks for taking the time to check it out and comment!
I did mean it as a compliment! While I now don't like Hans Zimmer's style at all, he did write some amazing soundtracks in his days: Black Rain and Last Samurai are good examples of great themes, and Black Rain in particular had an amazing 80s' + orchestral vibe.