Videos from the tracks

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Re: Videos from the tracks

Post by Rainmak3r »

GMaq wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:44 pm Hi!

@Rainmak3r

Sorry haven't had a lot of spare time to watch all of the videos, I liked Out of the Void so far though!
No need to apologise! I really appreciate you taking the time to watch even just one, as time is our most precious resource. I'm glad you enjoyed Out of the Void! It's the last one I worked on, using Shotcut, and it came out pretty quickly after I found the videos I decided I'd use.
GMaq wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:44 pm For any who may be interested here's a video comparing the various FOSS NLE's:
https://youtu.be/edQIda8pwxY

I 100% disagree with his assessment of Cinelerra-GG, It's the only NLE I use and it is very stable and has never held me back from doing what I wanted but there are a lot of good points about all the FOSS NLE's in this Video.
Thanks for sharing that! I haven't watched the whole video, but it's nice to see he puts Shotcut quite on top, means I chose well :mrgreen:

I don't understand his thoughts on the weak points of Openshot, though: he says the keyframe/effects part is confusing, which I actually found to be very easy to use and incredibly intuitive to a complete beginner, and one of the key reasons why I insisted on it despite the poor performance (until I really couldn't take it any longer). It made it very easy to do this work-related video tutorial, for instance, with zooms, panning, etc. on what I had captured. Unfortunately, the poor performance and frequent lack of audio/video syncing eventually led me to a different solution. I guess that, exactly as you with Cinelarra, video editors really are very much a subjective experience.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Few remarks from my site. :)

What I have done does take allot of time, mostly because I have to learn allot about blender.

There are how ever easier to do vids, with blender, were even if you don't know blender you should have a loop vid in about 5 hours, by just following some tutorials, I can recommend Ducky 3D.

Another more simple way is to have a static image (land scape) with a spectrum analyser in front of it.

I like to learn blender, but I do have previous experience with software like blender, and have used in my profession, 3D cad programs. ( Autocad and Catia to name two )

So for me its fun to learn Blender. ( estimated render time of my current vid though over 12 hours)
I am having issues to get sheep it to work. There is a Linux version but I can't get it to work yet.
( sheep it is a free render farm )
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Rainmak3r wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:21 am
lykwydchykyn wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:09 pm Those came out nice. You're inspiring me to try a bit harder with my videos. I only make them because it seems like people won't listen to a song unless there's a video.
Thanks! It's partly the reason why I started doing it too, even though it's mostly because I did the fun 80s video for "Call of the 80s" and found out super-amateurish video editing could be fun too :mrgreen:
Same motivation here. :)
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Rainmak3r wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:24 am I pretty much abandoned Openshot for Shotcut, now, and I got a much nicer experience so I think I'll stick with it. I'm an XFCE user which is GTK-based, so kdenlive would force me to get a bunch of KDE dependencies I'd rather avoid. Unless there are reasons to try it anyway?
I understand the point about dependencies but KDE has gotten more modular over the years (I even switched from LxQt to KDE Plasma due to its light footprint and I had been criticizing KDE for maybe a decade before that!) and has a bunch of programs which are IMHO the best available on GNU/Linux in their respective categories (Kdenlive and Krita). Avoiding KDE would mean missing out on those great programs :)

Should you try it? I think the current alternatives to Kdenlive are already quite good for most use cases, so unless you are looking for a "long term investment", something that is near professional level and will only get better with time, you don't need to try it.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!