Manouri

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jonetsu
Established Member

Manouri

Post by jonetsu »

This one was created some time ago and was revisited since then on many aspects. Was titled then "Jam 393".

It's a slow, relaxed piece in two parts, with a piano solo as the second part. It's based on a slow pulse, like a breathing, that opens the piece. Over this breathing percussion populates some silences while the guitar 'dances' over it, augmenting the base rhythm. It's a bit like three layers of rhythm, in a way. Like a basic pulse giving birth to more details.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/manouri

jam393-Manouri.jpg
jam393-Manouri.jpg (4.88 KiB) Viewed 466 times
milo
Established Member

Re: Manouri

Post by milo »

I like the feel and mood of this piece a lot. It is very relaxing. The "breathing" synth is really a cool idea, and very effective.

I think the two parts of the song are not glued together very tightly, and feel like separate pieces rather than one song. The brief coda at the end does help to tie things together.

The guitar is not always tight with the tempo of the drums. Also, the guitar stands out from the mix a little much, like it needs some more reverb or a subtle delay to tie the sound together with the other sounds.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Hmmm. I thought I'd commented on this already :?
Ivery much like it. Quite different to anything I've heard from you. Super chilled, right from the start.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I do like the vibe of this one and it opens in a very interesting and appealing way, I did feel that when the guitar came in it became a little rhythmically awkward like something in the drum track became a little out of sync or something...? I liked the synth parts and I liked what you were doing on the guitar and normally your works are very rhythmically precise but this one has an off kilter feel to me about half way through..
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

GMaq wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:31 pm I do like the vibe of this one and it opens in a very interesting and appealing way, I did feel that when the guitar came in it became a little rhythmically awkward like something in the drum track became a little out of sync or something...? I liked the synth parts and I liked what you were doing on the guitar and normally your works are very rhythmically precise but this one has an off kilter feel to me about half way through..
Yes, there's something to it that's dispersed. I initially liked that feeling although I reckon that if I step back for some time and listen back I kinda feel that there are two threads pulling each on their side. I'll see what could be done to unify the whole thing while still trying to keep that 'airy' aspect boucing off a slow beat. Might be not much to be done, don't know. Maybe less echo on the percussion at times.

Cheers.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

milo wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:13 pm I like the feel and mood of this piece a lot. It is very relaxing. The "breathing" synth is really a cool idea, and very effective. I think the two parts of the song are not glued together very tightly, and feel like separate pieces rather than one song. The brief coda at the end does help to tie things together. The guitar is not always tight with the tempo of the drums. Also, the guitar stands out from the mix a little much, like it needs some more reverb or a subtle delay to tie the sound together with the other sounds.
I agree. The BPM to this one is rather fast at 144. I like to created slow pieces that have a rather fast BPM. It's as if the fast BPM gives more room. Maybe I could redo the guitar parts with a supportive hihat track at a straight 144 as reference.

Cheers.